PDA

View Full Version : TBL vs Skid steer with backhoe

Terraformer
10-30-2007, 10:24 PM
If anyone has practical experience using both a TBL and a skid steer w/backhoe attachment, I would be very interested in how they compare. In addition, if anyone has experience using a 6500 pound skid steer with a backhoe attachment, I would like to know your opinion too.

All input is welcome.

Thanks,

John

kreft
10-30-2007, 10:46 PM
My NH L185 with the bradco 611 backhoe works great!

with a digging depth of just above 11 foot you cant go wrong.

As for the backhoe, are you talking about a JD 410 or a small compact Kubota?

either way I would say that a skid loader would be better because of these reasons,

- more compact
- more attachments
- easier to rent attachments opposed to finding attachments for a bachoe
- probaly more HP

Hope this helps?
Tyler

Gravel Rat
10-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Your comparing apples to oranges a rubber tired backhoe will out dig a skid steer with a bachoe attachment. Now if you compare a skid steer with a mini excavator then thats a more fair comparision.

I have watched a skid steer with a backhoe attachment working its slow compared to a mini excavator your better off with a mini for digging and a skid for carting to or away from the mini.

Terraformer
10-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Tyler - thanks for the input. I was thinking of moving up to a Kubota L39 backhoe. However, I though I would ask about skid loaders with backhoe attachment.

I do like the versatility of attachments with skid steers.

Is your L185 stable while digging?

Terraformer
10-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Gravel Rat - I did ask for a comparison knowing that they are very different. That said... I have experience running both compact backhoes and mini excavators. In my opinion, a mini excavator will out dig a comparable size backhoe every time.

My top priority is being able to get into tight places and heavily wooded sites. My second priority is the stability of the digging machine, while digging, pulling stumps and removing heavy brush.

Scag48
10-31-2007, 12:32 AM
One thing to consider when choosing between the two. Keep in mind that whenever you want to use a GP bucket to do some grading with the skid steer, you have to take the backhoe attachment off. Kind of a PITA when you can just spin around with a TLB and use the front end. The Kubota L39's are pretty expensive as well, right around $40K I believe new. You can buy a nice skid and backhoe attachment for less than that.

cddva
10-31-2007, 03:47 PM
"My top priority is being able to get into tight places and heavily wooded sites. My second priority is the stability of the digging machine, while digging, pulling stumps and removing heavy brush."

If working in tight spaces and heavy woods is your top priority, then the tlb is not the way to go. I have an L39 and an ASV RC50. The RC50 will run circles around the L39. I haven't used a backhoe attachment on it though. The loader isn't removable on the l39 and despite a pretty decent turning radius it needs alot more room to maneuver than a skid. I do think the tlb would tend to be more stable for digging with the longer wheelbase and out-riggers than a skid w/backhoe. The l39 backhoe is removable and you also get a "tractor" out of it. The l39 is a swiss army knife where as a skid is more specific to a task depending on the attachment (which is limited to one at a time). If you are limited to one machine and working for profit, I would go with the skid.

Gravel Rat
10-31-2007, 07:24 PM
For what you want to do I agree with the others a skid steer is better either a CTL or a wheeled skid with over the tire tracks. A Kubota TLB is more for hobby farm.

mastercraft
10-31-2007, 07:29 PM
I've run a 863 bobcat with a backhoe attachment and was sadly dissappointed. They are just about useless in hard soil, or for any serious digging. I think a tlb would be a much better choice for only one machine, or a mini-ex, skidsteer combo if you could swing both machines. Good luck!

ksss
10-31-2007, 10:24 PM
I ran an 1840 with a backhoe attachment. It was what i had and I made the best of it. The backhoe attachment as far as production it does not have it. If your doing occasional digging they are fine. If your working in tight areas they are not that great because they tend to be long and of course you only have 180 degrees of rotation with the swing. I believe the way to is with a mini and skid steer. If the mini is not an option. It would depend on the amount of actually backhoe work to be done. If it was extensive I would go with the TLB if not I may go with the skid steer/ with BH attachment.

Terraformer
11-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks everyone... each of you provided excellent input. All of you help me to answer my question. For the type of work, I doing right now, I'm going to upgrade to a larger TLB. I need the versatility of backhoe/loader combo; however, if and when I get into more dirt moving, grading and larger scale clearing I'll probably add a CTL. I'm hearing good things about the higher HP CTL's nearly matching the performance of a small dozer.

Thanks again!

kreft
11-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Tyler - thanks for the input. I was thinking of moving up to a Kubota L39 backhoe. However, I though I would ask about skid loaders with backhoe attachment.

I do like the versatility of attachments with skid steers.

Is your L185 stable while digging?

O yea. put the stabilizers down thing wont slide, or nothing, it ocassionally jerks alittle.