PDA

View Full Version : beryllium sockets ?

David Gretzmier
10-30-2007, 11:28 PM
At the GIE expo last week I was looking at a light that had a beryllium socket. It was a standard mr-16 uplight, nice weight and finish, and the socket did in fact look substantial. what amazed me is that this light looked identical on the outside, has identical double o-rings, and felt about as heavy as the uplights I use. the catch, that "beryllium" thing. It must be mined from diamonds, as the fixture was about twice what I currently pay. I have not had an mr-16 socket fail, so is the beryllium thing worth it? maybe since I don't go above 35 watts on a fixture I don't need beryllium?

for the record I whipped out my periodic table of elements, ( well , googled it) and man was I surprised they have filled that sucker in ! when I was in High School back in the late 80"s I remember that bottom two lines having some blank spaces and some of the bottom line of the main chart. It looks like old #117 is the only one left we have not figured out.

beryllium seems to be an alkaline metal that will bond with copper to create a hard metal, thus heat resistant.

is it worth it ?

also- thanks to Nite tyme for talking with me at the booth, and I missed Joey d at the show. maybe next year.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Any chance you will reveal to us the name of that Manufacturer? I am intrigued.

Thanks.

JoeyD
10-31-2007, 09:45 AM
It has to be Unique. As far as I know we are the only one's using the Berryllium sockets in our fixtures. Unfortunatly I was not at the GIE show, my rep Mike Myers was there.

The price thing, the value is for you to decide. Warranty, Service, Accesories included, Field Support. Here is an email I recieved last nigth that I think applies to this topic.......

"Joey,

I want to learn that! I hope all is well with everyone there in So. CA and wish each of you success with regards to the fires.

I was checking on some stats and I noticed that I doubled my unique purchases from last year to this year in 10 months! I expect to almost double again next year! Thanks to you guys and your training we are screaming along and having a blast in the process. If everyone would just follow Nate’s book and do what you learn at the Unique University, they would be blown away with the positive changes. I use exclusively Unique products and my customers truly appreciate that. I have yet to hand someone a Pulsar or a Big Bang and not be impressed with quality and as one customer said ‘the elegance’.

With fixtures that look like that and a lifetime warranty, what more needs said about fixtures? Price has not been an issue when bidding either, when in front of the right customer. I learned how to get in front of the right customer from you guys and Nate’s book. It takes an open mind and willingness to do things differently, but it works.

Thanks!

Tommy Herren

'The Lighting Geek'"

NightScenes
10-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Ok Joey, what does that letter have to do with beryllium sockets? By the way, I talked to Tommy for quite some time last week.

JoeyD
10-31-2007, 02:58 PM
It has more to do with the price thing he was talking about.

I just wanted to show off!!

Talk to you next week, I'm OUT!!