PDA

View Full Version : Mixing heads within the same zone

JimLewis
10-31-2007, 05:13 PM
I know we're usually taught to not mix different kinds of heads on the same zone. For instance, you normally wouldn't want to put a RB 1804 spray head on the same zone as a RB 5000 rotor. And you normally wouldn't put a MP Rotator on the same zone as zone that was otherwise 1804 with regular nozzles.

Matched precip. rate is usually desirable. But I've found certain cases where it was NOT desirable. Where it actually created problems and the solution was to change out one or more heads to a totally different kind of head that had a lower precip. rate.

I just wanted to start a discussion. In your experience, what circumstances is it acceptable to throw in different heads with totally different precip. rates within the same zone? Or if you think that's never acceptable, tell me why.

Mike Leary
10-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Hey Jim, it's not winter yet & we're not sitting around with our feet up, yet.
That said, I've mixed & matched many times on spray & rotor zones.
Reason? Sun/shade in the same zone, different water requirements from
plants in the same zone (lavender & hydrangeas), poor soil conditions causing
runoff can be partially fixed by smaller nozzles than adjacent heads. With the
Weather Matic 5503 brass, we can use with drip or MP Rotators depending
on plant needs.

hoskm01
10-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Acceptable.

We use them often for either oddly shaped areas where I cant reasonably shoot a rotor into, or extremely shady areas where I want considerably less precipitation.

On renovations or repairs, maybe an MP out in the middle to catch a hot spot.

jerryrwm
10-31-2007, 05:37 PM
Sometimes there is a huge difference between 'book teaching' and the real world. One needs to do what actually has to be done to get the area watered correctly especially if the budget is a factor. It may not be right on the drawing board but by gawd it works in the field.

Mike Leary
10-31-2007, 05:55 PM
Sometimes there is a huge difference between 'book teaching' and the real world. One needs to do what actually has to be done to get the area watered correctly especially if the budget is a factor. It may not be right on the drawing board but by gawd it works in the field.

Only experience will teach the real world knowledge & the brass to break
the "rules".

londonrain
10-31-2007, 06:01 PM
Sometimes there is a huge difference between 'book teaching' and the real world. One needs to do what actually has to be done to get the area watered correctly especially if the budget is a factor. It may not be right on the drawing board but by gawd it works in the field.Ditto........

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-31-2007, 08:30 PM
Ditto to every post in this thread. Do it all the time. I'll use a brass nozzle in a hot corner on a plastic nozzle system. several other things I do the purist would frown on.

Kiril
11-01-2007, 12:16 AM
I'll only do it in a pinch when renovating. If the system was designed properly to begin with, there would be no need for mix-matching. Course we all know how well systems are typically designed. :cry: :cry:

Let's take the example of trees in a turf zone. Now one might think it would be OK to mix mp rotators with sprays in order to meet the trees water requirements, however consider how much water you will be wasting in order to do that (given a 3-4 day cycle for the turf). This would be a case where I would keep the nozzles matched and run a schedule to deep water the trees instead of trying to mix-match. Of course, depending on how large an area that zone covers, you could very well be wasting more water than your saving by doing the deep water.

If we extend this scenario to shading, we have an entirely different problem, especially if sprinklers cover both shade and sun areas.

In short, there is no easy answer. In the end I let the site and plants tell me what to do.

londonrain
11-01-2007, 03:56 AM
I'll only do it in a pinch when renovating. If the system was designed properly to begin with, there would be no need for mix-matching. Course we all know how well systems are typically designed. :cry: :cry:

If money grew on tress then every system could be designed properly... with shade zones, tree zones..shady turf zones....etc...:laugh:

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-01-2007, 06:10 AM
If money grew on tress then every system could be designed properly... with shade zones, tree zones..shady turf zones....etc...:laugh:

On top of that every system would have a Calsense timer, moisture sensors at three levels on each zone.

hoskm01
11-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Wouldnt tree/shade zones always be changing? When a tree is first installed, it may be small and provide literally no shade at all. 30 years down the road, that zone will have to be a bit different to cut back on water in the shade vs. sun.

Kiril
11-01-2007, 11:19 AM
On top of that every system would have a Calsense timer, moisture sensors at three levels on each zone.

Ahhhhh, you said Calsense. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/love/663.gif

And as long as money is flowing freely, why not a single sensor to monitor moisture levels in 10 cm increments.

http://www.sentek.com.au/products/envirosmart.asp?lang=en

Rotor_Tool
11-01-2007, 09:14 PM
This is as appropriate as farting in church.:nono:

I know I'll take some heat for being the only one brave enough to say it. It makes for good fodder though! :cool2:

EagleLandscape
11-01-2007, 10:03 PM
I guess we wouldnt run into this problem is the system was designed properly in the first case:)
That being said, if you are having to compensate for a poor design, do whatever it takes to make it work.