PDA

View Full Version : Solar Clock.

BrandonV
10-31-2007, 07:38 PM
I remember a thread a while back where I mentioned I had this little toy, well had to set it up today and thought I'd post some pics incase anyone else wants to build one... please note this is DIRTY not a pretty installation like I'd expect from people who work for me, i just hook the wires up till the permanent one is there oh and the only reason I use the toro clock here is the gent who built it for me said they used less power- which being that the display, options and controller all around sucks makes sense to me.

hoskm01
10-31-2007, 08:01 PM
That looks a lot better than running 110 out there.

irrig8r
10-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Don't they still make solar panels to fit an Irritrol IBOC? That would have probably been my first choice.

irrig8r
10-31-2007, 08:06 PM
http://www.irritrol.com/controllers/controllers_ibocplus.html

Mike Leary
10-31-2007, 08:41 PM
What? Besides teaching ROTAR to lay pipe your going to learn 'um how to
lay brick?:laugh:

hoskm01
10-31-2007, 09:21 PM
What? Besides teaching ROTAR to lay pipe your going to learn 'um how to
lay brick?:laugh:
He can use his special shovel to mix mortar.

BrandonV
10-31-2007, 11:06 PM
Irritrol? what is this Irritrol? the 110 will come eventually, you must remember these tract builders sometimes take 3months to get power hookups, but want the landscape in before the first house is. the customer is always right, even when they're not

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Irritrol? what is this Irritrol? the 110 will come eventually, you must remember these tract builders sometimes take 3months to get power hookups, but want the landscape in before the first house is. the customer is always right, even when they're not

So to expand on what Brandon has done here. The post and solar setup is moveable. Only temporary. He doesn't have to install latching solenoids to use a battery operated timer. When the power comes he just removes the current setup. Install a decent clock. Wires it in and it's done. Rotar is a lucky guy to get the benefit of Brandon's company's expertise. Did I miss something Brandon?

bobw
11-01-2007, 10:12 AM
I gotta say that I can appreciate the ingenuity to get a setup like that working. Definitely something to file away in the back of the mind in case I ever need such a setup.

carltip
06-15-2008, 03:58 AM
I need one of these bad, tell me more about the components. Battery, inverter, solar panel, any info is greatly appreciated. Got a couple of sports fields at some intermediate schools with no power. i'm looking at a bunch of tbos or a solar set up that I can use again and again.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-15-2008, 07:39 AM
http://www.irritrol.com/controllers/controllers_ibocplus.html

Hey Greg-Like the web site. First time I've looked at it. May be my browser but some of the lettering was a hard to read light teal. May copy some of your setup if okay with you.

BrandonV
06-15-2008, 08:38 AM
digg now makes a very nice setup, called the leit i'd save youself a lot of work and get one of those. they have cabinet mounted one and also a flush mounted one called the leit-2

Wet_Boots
06-15-2008, 08:45 AM
I wonder if the choice of the Toro clock was made after actual current measurements of various clocks.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-15-2008, 09:18 AM
digg now makes a very nice setup, called the leit i'd save youself a lot of work and get one of those. they have cabinet mounted one and also a flush mounted one called the leit-2

Can you use the normal solenoids?

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-15-2008, 09:50 AM
brandon that looks like a greenkeeper.

very nice though...

irrig8r
06-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey Greg-Like the web site. First time I've looked at it. May be my browser but some of the lettering was a hard to read light teal. May copy some of your setup if okay with you.

Hi Peter,
It's been a work in progress for a couple of years... mostly the winter months.. need to update the blog too...

I did it with a WYSIWYG program from godaddy.com that cost me $15, plus $35 per site to publish online, and my registration and hosting fees (which are cheaper when you pay for years at a time). No cost for content, template or graphics changes or upgrades...

I started with a one page "business card" site from Network Solutions back in 1999 as I recall...

Need to add some nice graphics... maybe some flash animation or demonstration videos...

One thing I do to attract prospects to take a look is mention the website in my answering machine message...

I think maybe I should "take a page" from Jim Lewis and mention pricing too...

Thanks though.

Kiril
06-15-2008, 01:56 PM
I did it with a WYSIWYG program from godaddy.com that cost me $15, plus $35 per site to publish online, and my registration and hosting fees (which are cheaper when you pay for years at a time). No cost for content, template or graphics changes or upgrades...

Ouch. I'm certain either myself or DW can point you to cheaper solutions. :)

BrandonV
06-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Can you use the normal solenoids?

no you have to use digs but you can order adaptors so you can use the valve of your choice

i made a thread on an leit 2 install here (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=229888&highlight=solar)

irrig8r
06-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Ouch. I'm certain either myself or DW can point you to cheaper solutions. :)

I'm open to suggestions. Hosting is costing me under $6 per month... are you saying you can do better?

irrig8r
06-16-2008, 02:58 PM
So to expand on what Brandon has done here. The post and solar setup is moveable. Only temporary. He doesn't have to install latching solenoids to use a battery operated timer. When the power comes he just removes the current setup. Install a decent clock. Wires it in and it's done. Rotar is a lucky guy to get the benefit of Brandon's company's expertise. Did I miss something Brandon?

Compare the cost of latching DC solenoids, batteries and the IBOC controller with the optional solar panel to a remote area with the initial costs of his solar system and then pulling power later...

Somehow I think the IBOC setup will come out favorably, especially if the valves are clustered and there's not a lot of wire to run....(we installed a three on a municipal job about 12 years ago where we planted along 2000 ft. of freeway soundwall on the residential of the wall, no solar panel available then that I recall, but batteries were not prohibitively expensive.)

Guess they call it IBOC PLus these days...

http://www.irritrol.com/controller_manuals/pdfs/manual_ibocplus.pdf

k911lowe
06-16-2008, 03:08 PM

boy ain't that one of the commandments business people.you can advise them but you cant tell them

Waterit
06-16-2008, 05:32 PM
boy ain't that one of the commandments business people.you can advise them but you cant tell them

No surprise there when the advice comes from us red-headed step-children of the construction trade. Being an irrigator and having a brain are not mutually exclusive:cool2: