PDA

View Full Version : Case 850K

construrent
11-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Guys - Dozerman,

I'm looking to buy a new Case 850K, I have reviewed most of the threads in this forum already, I'm looking for some feedback about this machine, Komatsu I know from experience but I don't know how good a Case Dozer is,
Any input would be greatly appreaciated. My jobs will entail grading and backfilling sites so the D4 / D5 size is best fit with the PAT blade,

Thanks,

Construrent

Dirt Digger2
11-01-2007, 11:37 AM
we run a 550G...good little dozer...if i could start from new i would definitely go with a hydrostatic...we run a lot of Case equipment and they are easy and for the most part cheap to work on. I haven't run any of the new Case dozer's, ours is a '99 with accelerator pedal, but i have run a 2006 Cat D5 and loved it. Like i said i would definitely go hydro and if you are buying new i would probably go Case as well, i like the looks and power of the Cats but their dealers take so long to get parts in, and when they do you would think you're buying part of a rocket ship they are so expensive.

Scag48
11-01-2007, 04:16 PM
I've heard that Komatsu's new D51 is pretty sweet. Has a lot of power for it's size and was designed for production finish work. I ran a Deere 650H a little while back shortly, way easier to run than any dozer I've run before. I've run a Deere 450GTC, which is hand lever steering, and I've also run my buddy's International TD7, which is hand steering as well. Hydro is definately way easier to run, IMO, and for finish work making the machine easier to run so you can focus more on the work seems to be reason enough for me.

dozerman21
11-01-2007, 05:19 PM
That D51 is a nice looking machine. It looks like it has great visibility. It's in a bigger class though, a D6 sized machine. Too big to use on a production lot... a D5 size (850K) would be the biggest that I would go.

construrent- The K-Series are nice machines. I haven't ran an 850 in the K Series, but I demoed a 650K for about a week. The 850 specs out better. It's essentially the same machine frame, just with more horses, bigger blade, grousers, etc... I liked the 650K, but it doesn't have enough power to weight ratio for me. It did have good push power. 850's seem to be more popular around here than 650's. The cabs are very nice. My only real complaint is the pillars that run down next to the real corner window. It blocks a little visibility, and shouldn't be there. The Deere's are all glass. I had a 450J demo right before the Case for comparison. Another thing I didn't like was the way the tracks "tuck" in under the body. You can't see the edge out of the window. The 850 should stick out since the tracks are much wider.

A big advantage that Case has over the competition is the tilt over cab. It gives you access to all the pumps, hoses, etc. in a few minutes. Sure does beat taking off panels and belly pans. To my knowledge nobody else has that. I think they have a good feel to the blade and grade very nice. The cabs are as comfortable as any. I think they're also a very sharp looking machine.

I would definetly demo one and see what you think. I would also try a Deere 650J for comparison. I think both are very nice machines. If Case made a K series in a 550 size hystat, I would have bought one already. If they don't offer one by sometime next year before I replace my undercarriage, I'm going with a Deere 450 or 550J.

Scag48
11-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Yeah, forgot to mention the D51 is a D6 sized machine. Cat's new D6K is it's closest competitor and I think Deere's 700J or 750J is right around there as well.

I guess I didn't see that you said you were working on homesites, definately a D5 or smaller machine would work out best. I really liked the Deere 650H I ran a little, I imagine the J series is even better.

xcopterdoc
11-01-2007, 08:06 PM
We have several in our rental fleet. Most are over or are approaching the 2K hr mark. No real issues. Off the top of my head I know of 1 alternator, one blade angle cylinder, one ******er pedal spring. I think thats about it. Service is easy. No belly pan to drop, just a lil access cover for the engine oil drain. Hyd and trans filters are in the right rear compartment, easy to access. Our customers seem to like them but some say they are under powered for an 850. Of course there is a big difference between an 850 Case and an 850 Deere!

ksss
11-01-2007, 11:09 PM
I ran the new CASE hydrostat machines at Tomahawk, Wisconson (CASE demo/proving grounds). Very nice dozers, the controls are super intuitive. I could easily spend all day on one.

construrent
11-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Guys,

Thanks very much for the input, I will go with Case because Cat just does'nt care about the small stuff in my area, and I HAVE GOTTEN VERY GOOD REVIEWS!

I also like the Case for the tilting cab design,

It will be a few weeks before I get it, but I will post the pictures of the machine before it goes out to work,

Regards,
Construrent

dozerman21
11-02-2007, 07:52 PM
construrent- A couple more things I thought of... Case is giving away a trip for 2 to Las Vegas for the ConExpo with the purchase of a K-Series dozer. It includes round trip airfare, tickets to the convention, and I think a couple of nights at a hotel. I believe it said the machine has to be in stock. My salesman told me about it and I got some literature in the mail, but I didn't see it on the Case website. I'm not sure when the deal expires.

Also, if you get a machine with a cab, I would opt for the extra cage that surrounds the A/C unit on the back of the cab. I thought it was too exposed for a limb or something to get in there compared to others. My dealer said they have a protective cage that goes around just the A/C unit to help that.

Good Luck!

construrent
11-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Dozerman,

The unit I plan on buying is open cab but with te cab screens,

Whats you overall experience with the cost of parts from Case?

I hear alot of people complaning about the cost of JCB and Deere parts,

Thanks,

Construrent

dozerman21
11-03-2007, 10:10 AM
I think all brands are pretty proud of their parts!:rolleyes: I guess for most parts, they aren't too over the top, but I've had my share of go arounds with the parts manager or whoever about certain items I've had to replace, that were rediculous in price and I couldn't get an equivalent anywhere else. In my experiences Bobcat and Deere were also the same way from the few parts I've bought from them. I have friends who own some Cat machines and I've heard horror stories from them too. Some things like the undercarriage parts you don't have to buy from the dealer and it can save you a bunch of money if you shop around.

I don't have as much beef with the cost of parts as much as I do with what dealers charge for labor.:dizzy: You're best off buying the extended warranty and do all the maintenance yourself.

Dirt Digger2
11-03-2007, 10:16 AM
case parts arn't nearly as bad as Cat and Peterbilt. Case dealers usually get them to you in just a few days. I know when we break "common" things, like back windows in backhoes, the parts are at our shop next day.

Hey dozerman you dont have to worry about labor if you do it yourself...haha

bobcat_ron
11-04-2007, 01:50 PM
CAT will be the better overall contender, look at how many gravel pits use and still use CAT equipment.

construrent
11-04-2007, 02:56 PM
CAT will be the better overall contender, look at how many gravel pits use and still use CAT equipment.

In my opinion, Case equipment has been very reliable and consistent for skid steers, backhoes etc.
While Cat may be the biggest player, the facts show that not every category Cat is the best, on large equipment they are very good but I once operated a new D6M and it was plagued with problems and I just did not like the feel,
In my country, Cat is very expensive for service and parts, also they deliver parts very slowly as compared to Bobcat, Deere, Case.
As for track loaders, Cat is having serious problems with undercarriages tearing up in my area,

We can agree to disagree,

Rgds

Dirt Digger2
11-04-2007, 04:11 PM

thats because most places like to run one brand of equipment. Case doesn't make anything nearly as big as Cat does. We run several pieces of Case equipment and 2 caterpillars (trackloaders)...Case by far has better dealer support

bobcat_ron
11-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Up here, Case is well known for the TLB line, still alot of hardcore old timers that ran them in the early 70's and 80's are still buying them new, but CAT still reigns supreme, Finning offers some of the best service I've ever seen for their customrs.

dozerman21
11-04-2007, 10:46 PM
You will always see more Cat overall than anything else. They are a great company overall. That doesn't mean they are better at any particular line of equipment.

Cat has something to offer for pretty much everything, so large companies can stick to an all Cat fleet for everything they need. It doesn't mean it's the best fit for a small owner/operator like most of us on here.

The G-Series D3-D5 IMO isn't as good as the H or J series Deere, or the K series Case. I found the controls to be more jerky and uncomfortable, and the power wasn't as smooth. The undercarriage was also harder to clean out. The K series Cat looks to be much improved, and will probably narrow the gap a lot. I'm intrigued by what I've seen so far, and would like to know more.

If you want a good evaluation of a particular line of equipment, look at what the smaller companies and see what they are running. You can't just go by overall sales to tell you the best machine.

Fieldman12
11-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I think Cat makes the best large equipment such as dozers and other equipment goes. They also have a complete line of equipment which I think is nice. As far as smaller dozers I think Deere and Case has them beat or at least tied with Cat. I think Case and Deere makes some of the best smaller equipment out there. Also from what I here Takeuchi makes a great little mini excavator and CTL. Komatsu makes good overall stuff also and so as Volvo. Really when you get into bigger equipment Cat and Komatsu pretty much have most of the market tied up. Terex has a little percentage of it also. In the smaller stuff though the market is pretty much wide open. I know Cat would be at the bottom of my list as far as backhoes goes. They may have all the problems fixed on the new ones but some that they use to make had allot of problems.

dozerman21
01-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Construrent- Any updates or pics? Just curious if you ended up buying the 850K or something else?

Fieldman12
01-23-2008, 08:35 PM
You guys got any grading pics?

Dirt Digger2
01-23-2008, 08:47 PM
You guys got any grading pics?

like this?...i turned what was a sh!thole backyard into something that looked halfway decent in about 7 hours...would have been 8 but the homeowner bought me Wendys for lunch and insisted that i come in the house and eat in the air condition for an hour...:laugh:...there was ground out stump holes and brush stumps all over but i turned the woodchips up with the nice topsoil and heres what you get

i wish i still had the other pictures of this job...it goes for another 150 feet off to the right, but they were on my computer when the hard drive decided not to work one day

Fieldman12
01-23-2008, 08:50 PM
That sure looks nice Dirtdigger

Dirt Digger2
01-23-2008, 09:10 PM
heres another...did this with a backhoe, turned out pretty decent...you can see up by the tree where i had to cut the left and fill on the right then grade it down with the existing yard

dozerman21
01-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Dirt- That's a good looking backhoe grade job!

Here's a yard that I graded last year. I didn't get any before pics. It was full of small trees and brush that I cleared out, and it had a big dip in the middle. I graded it with the dozer and cleaned it up with the Power Rake. I don't get the great views of mountains and lakes like some of you guys out west.:usflag:

Construct'O
01-24-2008, 01:36 AM
Dozerman it looked like you must have had quite a hole in the middle to start with ,by the looks of the sloped off sides toward the rear of the property.Was there a pond there like the one next toward where you worked.

That might have been a little wet now with the pond(waterhole) next to your job.Does it drain out the rear corner when you got it done.Looks again like you nocthed out a place back there.

Looks good.Great job.What was buried down across the yard where the flags are?Don't you just love working around trees.:usflag:

dozerman21
01-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Thanks... It all runs to the top right corner of the first 2 pics. It goes down to a creek. There wasn't a pond there, but it did pocket water very bad. The yard to the right is actually much higher as well, so there isn't any water going on them, it all goes to the creek. I might be doing the same thing to the neighbor to the right this summer. It was just undeveloped property.I cut down the whole back swale several feet and pushed it all to the middle and blended it in.

I don't mind working around trees as long as they're the kind that don't have roots!:usflag: The white flags were for irrigation.

Dirt Digger2
01-24-2008, 08:30 AM
its funny because that is pretty much exactly what that yard i graded was like...sloped down to a creek, depression in the middle that the owner wanted filled in, but also didn't want any dirt trucked onsite....nice work

Dirt Digger2
01-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Dirt- That's a good looking backhoe grade job!

sculpted the dirt with the hoe, and smooth it with the bucket...not my ideal choice for doing this job...i would have like the trackloader, but you use what you have at the time

Fieldman12
01-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Cool pics guys!