PDA

View Full Version : Trencher on Mini-X (Recommendations?)

turfquip
11-01-2007, 08:50 PM
I know Uniscaper has a trencher on the stick of his 301.8.

The more drainage I do, the more I realize what an increase in efficiency this would afford, opposed to digging with the 9" bucket as I do now.

Any suggestions on which ones would work well and importantly, where and how to source a used one?

I love bucket work but when you're laying pipe, faster is better.

RockSet N' Grade
11-01-2007, 11:18 PM
What type of drainage work are you thinking of doing?

turfquip
11-02-2007, 07:22 AM
What type of drainage work are you thinking of doing?

Sorry, I should have been a little more specific. Over the last year, I have done several downspout drainage jobs. I use 4", SDR 35 almost exclusively and the trenching depth varies from 8" to 24".

There are more jobs lined up and I sense, that there are many more to be had. I have the right size mini for the work but I need to improve efficiency.

RockSet N' Grade
11-02-2007, 09:11 AM
For some reason, hooking a trenching attachment on a mini does not excite me nor does it seem to be the right tool/attachment for this type of work. I would think a walk behind dedicated trencher would be a better choice. Skid trenchers start at $3k and go to $6k from CEAttach, and those are for skids..you can purchase a small walk behind for far less and use that instead of tying up your excavator trying to dig trenches which would only really work efficiently on long runs. Everyone I see around here does it that way, I have never seen an excavator trencher for that type of work around here.

BrandonV
11-02-2007, 06:23 PM
sounds hard to operate on a mini ex, maybe a smaller bucket?

gammon landscaping
11-02-2007, 10:47 PM
seems to me that trying to use slip joint pipe in a 5-6 in ditch would be a pain in the a$$. and i really hate trenchers you have the right machine to do the job, i think you just need to do it. i find that alot of the time you waste to much time trying to find the "easy way". when if you would just get to work it would be done

AWJ Services
11-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Also with a trencher you will have too clean the trenches out by hand .
I have done them both ways and a mini ex may take a little longer but there is less manual labor.
That slip joint pipe in a 6 inch trench is tough too say the least.The trench has too be perfectly straight.
Anytime I ever use rigid drain pipe I always get a mini ex.
I often end up with multiple pipes in the same trench as well.
Here in many areas we have too stay away from tree roots and actually the properties inspected by Arborists.
So by the the time you trench multiple trenches for multiple pipes a common trench can be faster.
Plus you only have one trench too compact.Compacting is no small job on a 6 inch trench 2 foot deep and is very time consuming if done properly.

turfquip
11-03-2007, 05:01 PM
You guys are right. I'll just learn to do what I do a little faster(better).

Compaction is easier cause the tread width matches the bucket width. I just would prefer more crumbly soil that a trencher would produce. The benefits don't outway the disadvantages though...no way.

I'll keep doin it with the bucket, as my old boss used to say...shut the **** up and keep digging :laugh:

Dirt Digger2
11-03-2007, 06:15 PM
i think a trencher would be too narrow for that work...we install a lot of drainpipe for downspouts because its required on all new houses around here now and we always dig it with a backhoe and a 2 foot bucket, that way you can hop in the ditch on tough jobs and make sure you have just the right amount of fall on the pipe

ksss
11-03-2007, 09:35 PM
I think you would have to be in vary favorable conditions. Mini excavators don't generate a lot of hyd. flow. I would think that in hard ground it would be slow going, not to mention difficult to control especially on rough ground.

Dirty Water
11-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Bills setup was a 301.8 with a modified adapter plate to take Dingo attachments.

Or at least, thats what he claimed. He also claimed to have a haul truck and giant caterpillar excavator and that he was building the great wall of California, so I don't know where reality began and his keyboard ended.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=136584

He disappeared shortly afterwards. Even his website is gone. If he was serious, I bet this folded his company, if he wasn't, who knows what happened.

However, most mini's should be able to handle a dingo trencher. I'd imagine it would be pretty handy in tight places, such as installing drain tile around building footings.

minimax
11-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I use a 6"x30" custom built bucket that I built for my 35 deere mini and can dig about 300' to 350' feet of ditch a hour if the going is good.

minimax

Scag48
11-04-2007, 03:30 AM
You'd need a custom attachment plate, but I think a small mini could run enough flow to power a trencher for a Dingo pretty easy. I'd get a skid steer trencher or a walk behind trencher before I'd bother with mounting one on a mini.

As for Uniscaper, I bet he was for real and I bet that the job he was talking about did fold the company. The pics he had posted seemed legit, a huge mining shovel in front of houses, who else would do that? Nobody. I'd get a small fleet of 85 ton machines and articulated trucks and/or scrapers before I'd buy one big excavator.

JDSKIDSTEER
11-04-2007, 06:56 AM
There is a company in Chatanooga Tn. that has been trying to sell me a skid steer adapter plate. My worries is about liabilities with stability. I have a customer that has one on his mini. He puts pallet forks and trencher on his Kubota. I will have to ask him how well it works.