PDA

View Full Version : Maryland

jrdean62
11-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Just wanted to start a thread where Marylanders can come and look for advice from others that work in their area. I do most of my business in PG, Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's countys.

neversatisfiedj
11-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Fellow Marylander here in Hampstead .

Lawn-Scapes
11-02-2007, 06:39 PM
What kind of business do you do that takes you so far from home?

HBLandscaping
11-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Montgomery county here...

Lawn-Scapes I noticed that to. Westminster to PG, Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's countys is a long haul for work.

kreft
11-06-2007, 07:23 PM
I live in hampstead to work around owings mills.

Lawn-scapes is that house near millers station? I think i reconize it from their?
its been bugging me for awhile.

kreft
11-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Fellow Marylander here in Hampstead .

I now know where "deans" is.

I never been their though

Lawn-Scapes
11-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Property pictured is in Finksburg off Deerpark Rd.

jrdean62
11-07-2007, 02:09 PM
I worked for Brickman for 3 years on their intall crew and left that job about 2 months ago. I currently work for Chesapeake Supply and Equipment in Savage, MD. THe company sells and rents everything from Toro Dingos to full size Doosan Excavators. However, I have found that in order to pay all my bills I need to do some landscaping on the side. Since I only have those three years experience I will be looking for advice for a lot of my jobs. That is the reason I started this thread. My job with Chesapeake has me covering those different counties and for that reason I get a lot of contacts there and get work in those areas as well.

Marek
11-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Is that the place on rt 1 ?

jrdean62
11-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Yup, It is on RT 1 just north of Laurel.

Marek
11-09-2007, 06:19 PM
We used to have our shop behind there next to the school bus lot years ago.

smcunningham
11-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Hello fellow Marylander's,
My shop is Taneytown but most of eqmnt is here at my house in Silver Run, M.D.
Most of my accounts are in Carroll and Baltimore county.....Hampstead,Westminister,Owingsmills,Taneytown.

Matts lawn care
11-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Another marylander here. Accounts in Columbia and Ellicott city.

memac259
11-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Washington County, MD....Hagerstown area here!!

ICT Bill
11-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Another marylander here, although I am not a lawn and landscape guy per se. I do quite a bit of on the side stuff with hardscapes and ponds.
In my day job we manufacturer organic fertlilizers for spray applications.

Dahoopd
11-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Baltimore here. Just started this year. Lined up a few new accounts in Harford County for the spring

jrdean62
11-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Anyone else in here waiting for opening day of shotgun season next Saturday? I have been scouting around and the bucks are clearly in full rut. I can't wait to get back into the woods and wait. I have done some bow hunting but nothing I would call a shooter came into range. Shotgun season is a whole different story. I do prefer bow hunting but after several trips into the woods with a bow and no success I am looking forward to having something with a little more range.

CinderBlock
11-23-2007, 10:44 AM
I am really excited about shotgun season! I will be out in the woods down in Prince Frederick, MD by 5am tomorrow morning. Can't wait. Good luck to all others headed out.

jrdean62
11-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Well, opening weekend is over and I can't say it enough, I Hate a full moon. I did end up getting a doe but the moon has them moving at night. I would of had at least one more if not two if I had not gone out for lunch and got a belly full of food. You know what happens then. You go back into the woods and get a little too comfortable and take a little nap. Only to be woken by a snort which was made by a deer standing 20 feet from you. Needless to say I did not get one of those two deer but settled for a doe about 20 minutes before dark. I will try to sneek in some more this week.

CinderBlock
11-26-2007, 08:25 AM
yea they were definitely not moving a whole lot. I took a spike around 9 because he came too close, had to go ahead and get some venison. didn't get another shot at anything the rest of the day. still a great time though.

smcunningham
11-30-2007, 02:50 AM
I took him about 4:30pm opening day of rifle @ about 185 yards with a 300 winchester mag. He's a 7 point his g2 is broke of on one side or he,d be an 8point

smcunningham
11-30-2007, 02:56 AM
I took this one opening day of early muzzle loader @ about 70 yards..he's also another 7 pointer but his one brow tine is broke off or he'd be an 8 Point.

jrdean62
01-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Anyone heading to the MANTS show?

CinderBlock
01-04-2008, 03:37 PM
I will be heading to the MANTS Wednesday morning. I'm one of the sales guys for our company so I will be checking out what new is out and such. I will also visit the booths of the products I sell and see what they have planned for the upcoming season, etc. It's a big show, takes awhile to walk through.

ICT Bill
01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
I'll be there
It is a big show, put your walking shoes on
Years ago, longer than I care to mention, shows like this signaled PARTY time.
All of the manufacturerers would have their after hour parties and dinners and I would be hung over for a week after
I think the lawyers and the bean counters have done their job because there aren't a lot of after hours partys going on any more or maybe I just go home early now.

CinderBlock
01-04-2008, 04:13 PM
haha, sounds like the good ol days. are you actually going to have a booth at the show or are you just going to come and visit it? what do you do, bill?

jrdean62
01-04-2008, 04:21 PM
I will be there all three days. My company has a booth there. I went there for the past 3 years when I worked for Brickman.

ICT Bill
01-04-2008, 04:43 PM
We were suppose to have a booth but could not get in because it is sold out
I'll be walk'n and talk'n, sales also, organic fertilizers, actually instant compost teas and myocrrihzae products

smcunningham
01-06-2008, 11:21 PM
I'll be there on thursday (mants) all day.

ICT Bill
01-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I spent 3 hour there yesterday and 3 today
MY FEET HURT
I had no idea there were so many people making pavers of all shapes and sizes.
Did you see the size of some of trees in there, too bad I am not going to be around on Friday. I'll bet a lot of that stuff gets left behind so they don't have to truck it back

hey and for $200,000 you too can be the proud owner of a Safelawns franchise. Mow, Blow and spray compost teas. Couldn't you do that without spending 200K

phasthound
01-10-2008, 06:52 PM
I spent 3 hour there yesterday and 3 today
MY FEET HURT
I had no idea there were so many people making pavers of all shapes and sizes.
Did you see the size of some of trees in there, too bad I am not going to be around on Friday. I'll bet a lot of that stuff gets left behind so they don't have to truck it back

hey and for $200,000 you too can be the proud owner of a Safelawns franchise. Mow, Blow and spray compost teas. Couldn't you do that without spending 200K

I had a booth at the PA Turgrass in Valley Forge, it was dead.

Safelawns is out of it's mind and not very responsive. I contacted them for info on franchises several times, but got no response. Same thing when harrington was trying to push sustainable.

zMaster225
01-13-2008, 10:52 PM
What's up everyone... new on the site here. I do all of my mowing in Montgomery County - mostly Olney, Rockville, and Derwood, but I'll venture out further for landscaping. Let me know whats going on.
-Corey

ICT Bill
01-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Hey Z welcome to the site
I see you have 5 posts already, very cool
A lot of features here are restricted until you get 10 posts and have been a member for 10 days, so keep posting.

Great info here from lots of great people

Phasthound, I heard the NY turf show was packed. sorry about the PA turf show. Nothing worse than being stuck in the booth with nothing to do

ProStreetCamaro
01-24-2008, 03:57 PM
What's up everyone... new on the site here. I do all of my mowing in Montgomery County - mostly Olney, Rockville, and Derwood, but I'll venture out further for landscaping. Let me know whats going on.
-Corey

Hey now get the hell out of my area damn it! :hammerhead:

:laugh: I am just kidding man. But we do work in the same area. Most of ours is in gburg, olney, rockville and germantown and a string of larger lawns near laytonsville.

HBLandscaping
01-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Your area..... Montgomery co is my area LOL

ProStreetCamaro
01-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Your area..... Montgomery co is my area LOL

LOL I will be 29 in March and started doing this with my father when I was 13 or 14 so it was MY area first dang it! :laugh:

He started this when he was in his middle 30s and he is now 60 so all in all we have been in this area for around 25 years. What funny is we still have the very first customer my father started out with years ago.

I see your in poolsville. Have any place we could hunt? I sure miss old town hunting supply! Pat Morningstar was a heck of a nice guy.

Here is our main rig. Maybe you have seen us around at some point?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/f7d08300.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/Jul24_0001.jpg

ICT Bill
01-25-2008, 11:37 AM
I know, we can all meet somewhere in between and you two could fight it out to the death and whoever wins gets the other guys customers.
Cool I could sell tickets and make a mint.

There is so much business out there, good old government jobs, I'm sure that you could be doing all of the same neighborhoods and not be wanting for customers

Nice Chevy and mowers there Prostreet, I noticed that there are no signs on that bad boy. A couple of buddies have been getting nailed pretty often for no DOT numbers on their trucks. After several fines they finally complied

ProStreetCamaro
01-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Yeah we dont advertise at all. All of our work comes from word of mouth. As far as the DOT numbers go I was told you only needed them if your combined weight was over a certain amount? Maybe I was told wrong? In all these years we have never been bothered about it. Do you know the exact laws on it?

ICT Bill
01-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Come to think of it he does use 1 ton flat beds, no I don't know the law

Word of mouth is a wonderful thing

RGM
01-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Baltimore here Hoping to have a bit better season this year 07' gave me the least cuts per lawn in 16 years. i have seen a few new guys have gone out of buisness in my area.

HBLandscaping
01-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Prostreet -

Im turning 30 in 3 months so gotcha beat (Damm Im getting old LOL). You sound just like me, my dad started years and years ago and I stepped in to help in my early teens and then took over after HS. We don't advertise either just by word of mouth, I like it better that way.

Good luck this season. Money seems to be alittle tight but thank god were in M.C were people still like to spend it.

deereequipment
01-26-2008, 04:11 PM
JR, how much work do you do in St. Mary's?

I do maintenance in St. Mary's, but no installs. I'm tired of referring people to the 2 local nurseries. I need someone reliable to refer people to.

What do you do?

memac259
01-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Anyone from Western Maryland??

Ravenwood Landscaping
01-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Baltimore here Hoping to have a bit better season this year 07' gave me the least cuts per lawn in 16 years. i have seen a few new guys have gone out of buisness in my area.

I've heard the same thing happening to a few people up here in Harford county. It makes you wonder how stable their business really was? Oh well, I hope it doesn't happen to us. Our first year was last year, but we were both doing this part time so we weren't hit as much by the drought.

When does everyone plan on starting to mow this year? I'm thinking April 1st, unless the weather breaks early.

memac259
01-27-2008, 08:53 PM
April 1st if the weather cooperates.....

RGM
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Its would be nice to start april 1st this year think it might be a bit later. I'll be hitting 47 this year and its not too bad. Oh and go Terps!

AlleganyLawnCare
01-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Anyone from Western Maryland??

I am (Cumberland). Where you from?

Chris

memac259
01-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Clear Spring

ICT Bill
01-30-2008, 12:23 PM
We have 46 acres up on top of fairview mountain right between indian springs and clear spring, but live in Columbia MD

memac259
01-30-2008, 12:25 PM
We live right at the foot of Fairview...

ICT Bill
01-30-2008, 12:37 PM
The property has been in the family over 100 years and used for timber harvest every 20 years or so, mostly red oak, it is on cove road. In the fall we rent it out to the local deer hunters
My wifes father grew up right on route 40 about a half a mile down the hill from cove road, a little farm house on the right as you are headed down the hill towards indian springs
Nice area but growing up fast, hard to believe that people commute into DC and Baltimore from there

memac259
01-30-2008, 12:51 PM
It is growing and prices are getting high with alot of people commuting. Makes for a good mowing area though!!

AlleganyLawnCare
01-30-2008, 03:05 PM
I bet it does. It is nice to see someone elive on this site from this area. I know there are others, but they all stay in the shadows.

memac259
01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah, other lawn companies don't talk much around here.................

ProStreetCamaro
01-30-2008, 08:42 PM
We have 46 acres up on top of fairview mountain right between indian springs and clear spring, but live in Columbia MD

Want to let my father and I hunt? :drinkup:

My fiance works in columbia. She works for NACR.

CinderBlock
02-01-2008, 11:12 AM
I am located in Jessup, Maryland. I don't do any installs, I just handle the products. Anyone heading to any trade shows anytime soon, either to attend or present? I attend all of them to atleast see whats there but I am going to be working the Maryland Home & Flower Show in Timonium and Harford Live Show at Ripkens Stadium. There is a new show in Ft. Meade starting this year on the base too. I'd be real interested in anyones thoughts & opinions on trade show experiences.

Marek
02-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Do you sell out of Jessup?

CinderBlock
02-01-2008, 04:24 PM
yes i do. i manufacture and distribute products.

ICT Bill
02-01-2008, 04:34 PM
is "turf-equipment" the name of the company by any chance
We manufacture an organic liquid bio-fert product out of millersville

memac259
02-12-2008, 11:55 AM
What is the average date you all have normally began your mowing for the season over the past several years?? How about for putting down mulch??

deereequipment
02-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Southern MD here.
April 1st, start mowing.
March 1st, start mulching.(to be done before mowing season)

memac259
02-12-2008, 12:18 PM
That's what I have been doing too........went to do an estimate on a couple who weren't satisfied with their last service and they said they have talked to several companies that said they begin mowing around the last week of April and mulch around April 1st. I've never waited that long!!

neversatisfiedj
02-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Anyone heading to the MANTS show?

I am going up on the 21st .

CinderBlock
02-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Bill, sorry my company is not Turf Equipment. I manufacture and distribute retaining walls and concrete pavers, etc. Is Turf Equipment your competition?

neversatisfiedj
02-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Is your company Cinder concrete ?

CinderBlock
02-14-2008, 08:07 AM
yessir, that is my company. Have you ever dealt with us in the past? I have seen your company name before. You have been at Techo events correct?

jrdean62
02-14-2008, 08:43 AM
How are you guys looking on labor for this year? I kinow INS is cracking bown on the illegals. I know of two companies in St. Mary's County that were shut down last month for having illegals. The laborers had fake socials and up to this point that was fine, but INS is no longer accepting that excuse. They loaded up the laborers and took the companies business licenses.

ICT Bill
02-14-2008, 05:12 PM
No Turf Equipment distributes fertlizers and such, we make it

Marek
02-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Where did you hear about the companies in St Marys? Normally the INS does a 2 week thing where they round up as many illeagals as they can then thats it for the year. From what I have heard the larger guys are hurting right now, not enough H2bs . I doubt they will do much with them this year as our new Gov. is all for them.

jrdean62
02-15-2008, 11:31 AM
The one company was a construction company. I only know about this one because my brother was there welding on a bucket when INS showed up with two vans and loaded all the illegals up. Then they took the companies business license. The other one that got hit was a smaller landscaping company. I would not go off betting that we are safe this year. I know of several larger companies that have been warned in advance that there will me more inspections this year. The excuse " They had a social security Number" does not work anymore.

ProStreetCamaro
02-26-2008, 04:47 PM
The one company was a construction company. I only know about this one because my brother was there welding on a bucket when INS showed up with two vans and loaded all the illegals up. Then they took the companies business license. The other one that got hit was a smaller landscaping company. I would not go off betting that we are safe this year. I know of several larger companies that have been warned in advance that there will me more inspections this year. The excuse " They had a social security Number" does not work anymore.

Good get them out of here. Maybe then the prices of lawn care will go up to where it should be. I hope and pray they load every last one of them and ship them off. Lawn care prices in MD tend to be alot lower than other parts of the country which is sad because this area has alot more jobs and alot higher paying jobs than most parts of the country.

Now as far as hurting the business that hired them I understand that if they knew before hand that they were illegal but if they had a social security number I dont see how it would be the business owners fault? Are lawn guys supposed to start doing back ground checks now? I mean come on get real. For the average small to middle size company that is asking a bit much.

jrdean62
02-26-2008, 05:27 PM
All you need to do is log onto social securties wedsite and type in the social and it will tell you if it is real or not. They have made it easy for any company.

Ravenwood Landscaping
02-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Looks like we've got a 60 degree day coming our way on Monday. I might get out to some houses with some post cards. I'm headed to the home and garden show tomorrow. I'm going to try and leave some post cards somewhere, if I can.

RGM
02-29-2008, 09:39 PM
I am ready for a 60 degree day

deereequipment
02-29-2008, 10:06 PM
where's the home and garden show?

RGM
03-01-2008, 04:12 PM
there is a show at the Maryland fairgrounds next week end

ProStreetCamaro
03-01-2008, 04:17 PM
there is a show at the Maryland fairgrounds next week end

Maryland state fairgrounds in timonium?

Ravenwood Landscaping
03-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Yes, in Timonium. The show was nice. Some of the design exhibits were pretty good. Some great ideas for sure. I think we're going to do the show next year. For as many people as I heard say "That looks great, we should call them to come out to the house and take care of...for us", I imagine the money spent would be worth it. I actually sold a job standing in someone elses booth, just by talking to the couple walking through for a little bit.

I'm hitting the streets pretty hard tomorrow. Near 50 and sunny, I hoping a bunch of people will be thinking of spring.

Roaregg
03-01-2008, 10:04 PM
I'll probably go but im not sure..

ICT Bill
03-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Could you be clear on the date and time please, you said next week and then said you were there on the same day, Jeeez I'm lazy...I'll just look it up

RGM
03-02-2008, 12:20 PM
I thought I had seen it advertised for next weekend

Ravenwood Landscaping
03-02-2008, 03:40 PM
it's both weekends (this weekend and next).

howardsells2000
03-03-2008, 11:27 PM
If any of you Maryland guys or girls are looking for accounts. Check out my Lawn Service for sale in Maryland in the for sale section here on lawnsite. I would like to sell the whole business, equipment and all but I might consider selling the accounts.

Thanks
Howard

CinderBlock
03-04-2008, 12:50 PM
For anyone interested, the home and garden show is open this coming weekend also. It opens Friday from 10-9pm and Sunday from 10-6pm. It is at the Maryland State Fairgrounds in Timonium. My company is in the show and we have multiple booths with some of our products on display as well. For anyone who has gone or goes this weekend, what do you think? what are your highlights and lowlights of the displays?

neversatisfiedj
03-04-2008, 03:59 PM
yessir, that is my company. Have you ever dealt with us in the past? I have seen your company name before. You have been at Techo events correct?

Yes - Techo and Versa-lok seminars. I have dealt with John before.

Josh

CinderBlock
03-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Ok, good. I hope we've treated you well. I work in the Jessup facility. I'm Josh too by the way. How do hardscapes look for this year? Some guys I speak to feel like it's going to be really strong and others are concerned.

Ravenwood Landscaping
03-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Cinder, How was the first weekend for you business-wise? I thought some of the displays were great. The actual landscape displays were much more detailed than I remember in years past. I think we're going to try and get into one of the big spots next year. Even though we haven't done the show before, those seem to get the most attention. We've planned in our budget to save about $10K to do the show. For as many people that walk through there, it has to be worth that much in new business.

On a side note, have any of you guys been getting many calls yet? I've only gotten a handful, but my flyers don't seem to be catching on. I'm wondering if it's still too early or if I need to rethink my flyer.

ProStreetCamaro
03-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Hey my maryland brothers I have my M48 Tank for sale. Only has 428 hours on it and is 2 years old. It is still like new with the exception of the rear tires. We love this mower but we are going to get a 60" Tank this spring so this one needs to go. We paid $6,900 out the door and we will let it go for $3300 OBO.

Here is a link to my for sale thread with pictures
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=218362&highlight=M48

Mods if I am out of line here please delete this post. I just figured these guys are in my area and it might get some local exposure.

neversatisfiedj
03-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Ok, good. I hope we've treated you well. I work in the Jessup facility. I'm Josh too by the way. How do hardscapes look for this year? Some guys I speak to feel like it's going to be really strong and others are concerned.

It;s not looking as strong as last year thus far for me.

jeffex
03-18-2008, 07:12 AM
I'm doing spring cleanups this week with the mild weather. No mowing yet but bed cleanup and leaf removal just like the fall. I've decided to make a run at raising prices and so far so good. People almost EXPECT it! Nice to see the ole' trailer in my rearview mirror. It means the "GREEN$$" IS ON ITS WAY

Ravenwood Landscaping
03-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Yea, I'm starting now too. I'm mulching and cleaning up a few places over the next two weeks. I've gotten a ton of calls on totally new landscaping and a few scheduled over the next month. Our first year was last year and our biggest job was $3K. I've already got three jobs over $15K to start this year off with and a handful hanging in the $1K-$3K range. I'm only saying that because with the news I've been hearing of companies going out of business and the bad economy, I certainly didn't expect to have a such a demand so early. Hopefully you guys are getting the same treatment.

jeffex
03-18-2008, 10:27 PM
BTW thats a cool logo Ravenwood!

tulipgrove
03-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi there...small (growing) commercial landscape maintenance in Bowie. Service mostly senior apts in AA County, PG County, Mont. County, Baltimore...and more.
Thinking of selling by the way....want to go into turf care (fertilizer and stuff) that's why i started this.....but do that the least right now.
Anyway....

jeffex
03-24-2008, 03:38 PM
there seems to be a demand for nautral alternatives for fertilizing. With the right program and sales people it may be a hot market. I have not tried the corn glutten as of yet but I have seen great results with adding organic and sand during the aeration process to produce great results. Improving the soil condition and anerobic activity may be the wave of the future in MD . IMO you just have to be able to sell a concept that takes longer to notice results. Its hard to beat a squirt and fert opperation that can generate rapid growth in a couple of days. Good luck in Bowie!!

ProStreetCamaro
03-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi there...small (growing) commercial landscape maintenance in Bowie. Service mostly senior apts in AA County, PG County, Mont. County, Baltimore...and more.
Thinking of selling by the way....want to go into turf care (fertilizer and stuff) that's why i started this.....but do that the least right now.
Anyway....

What parts of montgomery county do you service? We may be interested in buying some of your lawns if you have some located in our area and are looking to sell a few?

tulipgrove
03-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Without too much info sent out...i have 21 or so properites, Mont, PG, AA Baltimore, Waldorf....some 2 yr contracts....close to $200K in contracts...does not count snow, installs, upsells......

kreft
03-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Cutting down trees in owinggs mills this weekend.

columbiaplower
03-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Just checking in with the other Maryland boys, been getting a fair amount of calls, but very few for mowing, which doesnt bother me too much, just sorta odd, guess its still early for mowing.

aric43085
03-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Can anyone help me find an irrigation sub in MD? We service properties in Annapolis, Crofton, Crownsville and Odenton. Our last service guy dissapeared. If anyone is interested in the start-ups, please let me know.
Thanks in advanced for any input.
Aric Knepp

Ravenwood Landscaping
03-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Just checking in with the other Maryland boys, been getting a fair amount of calls, but very few for mowing, which doesnt bother me too much, just sorta odd, guess its still early for mowing.

I'm totally in the same boat. I'm booked out 3-4 weeks on installs and landscaping, but not one new customer for mowing yet. Since this is my second year and I missed this point last year, I don't know if this is normal or not. I've been advertising like crazy for the past two weeks and I'm hoping I get some continuing business soon.

Anyone from the area have any input on when they get a majority of calls for mowing?

deereequipment
03-26-2008, 08:26 AM
You may be out of luck, on new commercial places, but the typical home owner, waits until the very last minute.

You may not get many calls, but when the grass needs to be mowed, calls come in wanting it done right then.
They can't understand that you have work already scheduled, from people who plan ahead.

jeffex
03-27-2008, 08:17 AM
I cut after 4pm and usually the panicked person has let their lawn go too long or their guy never showed u p this year. ORRRRR .. They see you out there and are reminded about their lawn and decide in an instant to ask for a price because this could be the year they give up this nasty chore!. This is the best way to get the highest priced lawns IMO. The ones who call around and shop prices are just looking f to beat their last guys price. Put your phone number on your truck , trailer, or yard signs so they can call you . Look around for them while your mowing. I can spot a customer checking me out from across the yard. They will watch you cutting while taking extra time getting out of their car if it is a neighbor. The ones driving by will just pull over and look at the lawn your cutting and your equipment and decide you do this as a business. I'm always on the alert to stop my mower and head over and engage them in a conversation. It always starts with (while standing in front of your truck, trailer, and mowers) "do you cut lawns?".

RGM
03-28-2008, 05:50 PM
I have had about 6 customers ask me to cut next week so far

ProStreetCamaro
03-28-2008, 06:42 PM
I have had about 6 customers ask me to cut next week so far

We cut 6 or 8 I cant remember last friday and this week we cut about 15. It should start getting better and better from here on out.

Ravenwood Landscaping
03-29-2008, 09:38 AM
I supposse a strong day of advertising is in the works for me tomorrow then....I know people love having me around on Sundays....

alesia
03-30-2008, 06:15 PM
From the Glenelg Maryland area, Most work is in Howard, Carroll, Baltimore counties.

jeffex
03-31-2008, 08:03 AM
so far so good this yr on retention of customers. All ate the 7% price increase and I should be mowing in 2 weeks or so depending on soil temps. i will launch my lawn restoration campaign as people see thier lawn doesn't come back on its own from a drought like last year.

Ravenwood Landscaping
04-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Ok, so my work has almost come to a standstill. I've done about 10 quotes in the past two days and have only signed 2 so far. I don't know what I'm doing but I have a feeling it might be my pricing. So I need a reality check from you all:

I have 1/4 acre yard that needs a complete cleanup with tons of leaves thoughout the bushes, bush trimming, 5 yards of mulch. All and all about 6 hours of work + mulch. I priced it out at $625. No call back.

Another spring cleanup. Bush trimming, 3 yards of mulch, and some weeding. Nothing big, probably 3 hours + mulch. Priced it at $400. No call back.

Priced a 1/4 acre yard for weekly mowing service at $40. No call back.

I'm advertising my tail off with actual postcards. Everyone that sees them says they look great, but I've gotten 2 calls from about 1000 cards out. I put them out thoughout March and April and nothing. It doesn't seem like there is a shortage of work based on how many people I see out, so I'm wondering what the heck is going on?

ProStreetCamaro
04-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Ok, so my work has almost come to a standstill. I've done about 10 quotes in the past two days and have only signed 2 so far. I don't know what I'm doing but I have a feeling it might be my pricing. So I need a reality check from you all:

I have 1/4 acre yard that needs a complete cleanup with tons of leaves thoughout the bushes, bush trimming, 5 yards of mulch. All and all about 6 hours of work + mulch. I priced it out at $625. No call back.

Another spring cleanup. Bush trimming, 3 yards of mulch, and some weeding. Nothing big, probably 3 hours + mulch. Priced it at $400. No call back.

Priced a 1/4 acre yard for weekly mowing service at $40. No call back.

I'm advertising my tail off with actual postcards. Everyone that sees them says they look great, but I've gotten 2 calls from about 1000 cards out. I put them out thoughout March and April and nothing. It doesn't seem like there is a shortage of work based on how many people I see out, so I'm wondering what the heck is going on?

We charge $100 per yard and that includes cleaning out the beds, Cutting bed lines, pulling weeds, Trimming the shrubs if they need it and the actual mulch. So 3 yards = $300 and even that is fairly high. I have one thats 9 yards I need to do soon and another thats about 7 but we are slammed with cutting. Looks like I am going to have to start working weekends which I hate to do.

ProStreetCamaro
04-25-2008, 05:08 PM
We may have a lead for somebody if anybody here cuts in the silver spring area in montgomery county. Its a bit out of our service area.

Ravenwood Landscaping
04-26-2008, 04:30 PM
We may have a lead for somebody if anybody here cuts in the silver spring area in montgomery county. Its a bit out of our service area.

So it doesn't sound like I'm crazy off or anything. I've usually been pretty good about getting quotes, but I must just be in a dry spell. A little scary but I guess I'll come out of it.

HBLandscaping
05-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Does anyone have any grass cutting jobs in the Mount Airy / Damascus area? If so and you maybe able to handle a job in Damascus for me please contact me.

Thanks

HBLandscaping
05-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Anyone is MD looking to unload any mowers this summer? Sp. looking for a Z. I picked up 3 large lots (3-5 acre) and I would like to find a Z to use to knock out these lots. I would hope to be able to keep these not only for this season but next also, But until I know for sure I don't want to put out 5-10 K for a new mower that may not be needed next year. Let me know.

Thanks

jrdean62
05-07-2008, 10:28 AM
You may want to try Brickman. I know they have a RPO with Toro/Exmark and sell mowers with relatively low hours on them.

HBLandscaping
05-07-2008, 10:38 AM
I'll check them out, Thanks. Im kinda in a bind, I can knock them out with the WB's but a z would cut the time and make it easier. If I was guaranteed these jobs for next year I'd have know problem buying a new Z. I have mostly 1/2 acre residential jobs so never really needed anything else, But don't think anyone would turn down these job that just got dropped into my lap.

Marek
05-07-2008, 09:55 PM
call kohler equipment in upper malburo they have all the traded brickman mowers

TNT LawnCare Inc.
05-16-2008, 09:16 PM
We work in The Northeast to East side of Baltimore County. Its been a Great year so far. Hope you Guys have a good year. :waving:With all the rain weve been having,just wait till the Sun comes ,the grass is going to go crazy ! I know it has been already but just wait till the 80's hit . :laugh:Gonna be nuts till End of June Easy !! :)

jeffex
05-17-2008, 12:14 AM
the cool temps have saved us from extreme growth ! Usually summer temps slow down the pace but with this much rain it may actually pick up. Warm temps at night bring tall grass!!! I hope for clearing Sat to stay on schedule

HBLandscaping
05-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Just a heads up for everyone here in MD.

I’m not sure if it is just my area (Montgomery county) or all over the state but a buddy of mine (full time paid Firefighter, Part-time lawn guy) was stopped yesterday by a Environment official (not sure county or state) for having 1 bag of fertilizer on his trailer without a license while he was out mowing at the local post office. He was given a written warning because there was no spreader on the property or trailer, but told he couldn’t even carry it on the trailer without a license. My buddy told the guy that it was for his own house, not a client but he was still told to take it off the trailer and place it in the back of the truck. The official asked for my buddy’s ID and wrote down his info. Today the official stopped again while my buddy was on a job site to make sure that the bag wasn’t on his truck or trailer, well it was still in the truck bed and he got fined $100.

My buddy called tonight at home and left me a message telling me he got a fine and that there was a paper attached to the fine stating that even your everyday “homeowner” or over the counter (Home Depot) fertilizers can not be put down on a property by anyone other then the homeowner or you must have a license. Right behind that message was a message from another lawn guy that I'm friends with and he said a guy stopped him on a job today and checked for any "Banned" materials on his truck & trailer, Sounds like either the state or county is cracking down hard.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up incase it's a state wide crack down..

deereequipment
05-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Did that fertilizer have "weed" control in it?

I've talked to different state officials (and of course they don't really have a clue), and they told me a license is not needed to spread fertilizer.

So I took it that if it is straight "fertilizer", the state told me a license is not needed. It's when you use "weed and feed" or anything with chemicals in it, is when the applicators license is needed.

THis is just like when DOT told me my pickups didn't need the number on them, even with the trailer, their combined weight is still less, and doesn't need it. But when the DOT pulled us over for not having the numbers on the truck, he told us differently. I already have my numbers, so I just had the graphics made up, and put them on the truck.

Government governing. Typical, they do what they want to do.

bleese
08-26-2008, 11:46 AM
I was browsing the threads in saw this one from Maryland. Our business is located in New Windsor and services Carroll and Baltiomre counties for now. Always looking for more work but never wanting to take something away from other LCO's. Good Luck to everyone this eason.

Marek
11-20-2008, 02:20 PM
If anyone needs new Toro Zs Security Equipment has them 28 Kawasaki and 60" decks for 7800 each . brand new machines. Ask for Derick . Just thought I would put this on here to help someone save a few bucks.

deereequipment
11-20-2008, 04:11 PM
If anyone needs new Toro Zs Security Equipment has them 28 Kawasaki and 60" decks for 7800 each . brand new machines. Ask for Derick . Just thought I would put this on here to help someone save a few bucks.

Where is Security Equipment? Is this Security Ford off of I695?
Another LCO and I are going around and looking at every mower out there to compare notes and prices in January, to get ready for the next season.

I'd like to know where you are.

Thanks

Marek
11-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Yes its off of rt 1 and 695. Finance might be better before the 1st off the yr. Also if you are looking for Exmark stuff go to Helwigs off of rt 1 and 695 . Small dealership but they take great care of thier customers and do very good work at a reasonable price and time frame.

deereequipment
11-20-2008, 04:53 PM
I use to deal with Mitch and Ken in Parts.
This was back in 1991. Are they still there?
Are you guys still a Meyer dealer too?
Sell used plows?

Marek
11-20-2008, 05:21 PM
The only ones that I know of that sell those yellow blades are Dejana in Baltimore. Most of us buy blades we can depend on, but that comes with a price tag.

deereequipment
11-20-2008, 06:07 PM
The only ones that I know of that sell those yellow blades are Dejana in Baltimore. Most of us buy blades we can depend on, but that comes with a price tag.

I prefer Western, but obtained a 3rd truck that had a meyer with it, and would like to have a spare blade sitting around incase something happens while working.

What brand blade do you sell?

jeffex
11-28-2008, 07:57 AM
leaf job in Pasadena Md available http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=253949

RRF
01-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know in the greater DC area I have some equip for sale:

1993 F700 flatbed w/ 5000LB crane (mechanically perfect & doesn't look too bad either); 460 w/ 9 speed (extra PTO avail); Winch on front. Runs excellent. Asking $6200 OBO (crane is probably worth $6000 by itself).

2004 Hudson 6-ton trailer 20ft with dove tail/ramps; tandem axle; excellent trailer, never any problems. Asking $3200 OBO.

2005 Daewoo 450+ Skid steer; 65HP; 1950LBs (but really doesn't tip until 2450); Cummins diesel; 600+ hrs; Has 4 full size tires (but have original smaller tires & rubber tracks -> one wheel needs repair to put tracks back on); Comes w/ forks, dirt bucket (rock bucket avail separately). Very torqy & quiet compared to Bobcat. Asking $17,000 OBO.

** Will sell Skid Steer / trailer together for $19,000.
** Will sell F700 / trailer / skidsteer together for $24,000

Can send you pics / more info / phone # if you email me at:

i n f o @ R i v e r R o x F a r m . c o m

** obviously take out the spaces above **

I am located 10 mins from Berryville VA (15 mins from Charles Town WV, 30 mins from Martinsburg WV, 35 mins from Frederick MD, 20 mins from Winchester VA, 20 mins from Purcellville VA, 30 mins from Leesburg VA, 45 mins from Sterling VA, etc) if you want to see equip firsthand.

I have surplus river stone to sell, too. See my product I used to sell at:

www.riverroxfarm.com

I have three (3) pallets of 'Magic Salt' for close out (2 pallets 50LB bags 49 bags each / 1 pallet 25LB bags 96 bags); Green Ice melt product by EPA designated for environment; For more details about magic salt see web site:

www.magicsalt.info

Probably going out of biz..

Regards, -Gary Hoffman

Marek
01-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Are any of you guys going to the Mants show over the next couple of days ? Always a good show for you to see new equipment and make new wholesale connections.

deereequipment
01-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Never heard of the Mants Show.
Can you supply any of info?

Marek
01-08-2009, 01:48 PM
http://www.mants.com/

King Cuts Landscaping
01-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Just came across this thread for Maryland and I’m fairly new to Lawn Site. We are out of Davidsonville MD. We serve mainly AA and PG County. We occasionally go to other surrounding counties for bigger jobs and Delaware a few times. I can tell you one thing we need some snow/ice in my area bad!!!

Marek
01-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Your name wouldnt be Brian would it ? Yes we do need snow. But we have been out 7 times now on stand by. But it pays and dosnt tear up the equipment.

King Cuts Landscaping
01-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Nope. The names Bret. Snow does tear up the equipment but the money is great. And its even better if youíre only on stand by. We have only been out ONCE for salting! We still have a few final leaf removals and odd jobs, and then Iím off for about a month.

HBLandscaping
01-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Just a heads up for anyone here in Maryland. I know its about that time to start working on the 2009 ads, flyers, promo stuff (pens, note pads, magnets etc),shirts, hats and tons more, let me know if you guys are looking to get stuff done. I use a local company that does great work and does all my stuff as well as a few other lawn companies... Great work and gets it to you quick.

Marek
01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Make sure you guys are up on your DOT regs. and that your trucks and trailers are in compliance. We had a salt truck pulled the other morning for not being tarped, and it wasnt even up to the sides. They are out in full force , even saw one DOT officer driving a extra cab chey 1500 with blacked out windows and a fiberglass bed cover. He had a truck pulled on RT 175.

360Landscaping
01-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Hello Fellow Marylanders,

First, let me introduce myself: My name is Mike and I am just getting my business started. I have worked in the industry for about 10 years (but that was 10 years ago - in Connecticut). I am based out of St Mary's county, I live in Mechanicsville, so it seems like I may bump into jrdean62 Green Finger and deereequipment some time soon. Also, I have friends in Edgewater, so I may see King Cuts as well. I look forward to meeting you guys.

Now for a few questions if you guys don't mind. First, other than the usual business requirements (LLC, EIN, liability and commercial vehicle insurance, MHIC license) what else do I need to worry about? If I'm going to apply fert which license do I need and from which agency? Also, when you guys talk about DOT, I am assuming this is the State of MD DOT - what do I need to do to keep these guys off my back?

I'm not the kind of guy to cut corners or operate in violation of any requirements, so anything you can share about operating in compliance will be a big help. Not being from MD (moved here 5 years ago), I don't have any type of a network of friends in the industry so I have been poking around like a blind man.

Third question is are any of you members of the Landscape Contractors Association of MD, DC and VA? Any benefit to becoming a member?

Lastly, if you have any work, let me know!

Thanks guys, I am happy to be associated with you through LawnSite and I will help anyone in anyway I can.

Mike

King Cuts Landscaping
01-19-2009, 12:46 AM
Mike,
Hello and welcome to lawn site and Maryland
DOT numbers are a must if you running a truck or trailer titled GVW 10,000 or over. In our case the f 550. With that you need a medical card and physical from your doctor and if passed he or she will give you pretty much a piece of paper saying you are in good health and condition to drive a “big” truck. Will need the DOT inspection and will need to carry fire extinguisher, road triangles, and first aid kit. I’m sure im missing things so try this site www.fmcsa.dot.gov.

We are ICPI Certified installer and certified Cambridge paver installer. It’s a two-day course designed to enhance the knowledge of individuals involved in the construction and installation of interlocking concrete pavements. ICPI Manufacturer members sponsor most of the courses and have many hands-on seminars. Nice to have but not a must and it’s good for 5 years and I think its $25 or $50 to renew.

Good luck to you in 2009 and hope to see you around!

Bret

360Landscaping
01-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Thanks Bret,

Looks like I'll be ok as far as DOT goes, not running anything that big yet and I am in good health. Thanks for the info.

Let me know if you want to meet up some time - I'll ask you a million questions and in return I'll buy lunch/dinner/beers/whatever. I'm a big fan of Killarney House.

Thanks again,
Mike

King Cuts Landscaping
01-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Mike
That sounds good with me, maybe sometime next week or anytime in February. I am off to Vegas tomorrow morning!! Cambridge pavers have what hey call round table dinners first Wednesday of every month in Bowie MD at the Glory Days Restaurant. Great way to network and talk landscaping. I will touch base with you next week and see what our schedules look like.
Talk to you soon,
Bret

King Cuts Landscaping
01-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks Bret,

Looks like I'll be ok as far as DOT goes, not running anything that big yet and I am in good health. Thanks for the info.

Let me know if you want to meet up some time - I'll ask you a million questions and in return I'll buy lunch/dinner/beers/whatever. I'm a big fan of Killarney House.

Thanks again,
Mike

Hey Mike,
Looks like we may get some snow pretty soon here!! Give me a shout and lets see what next week is looking like for both of us. We have to finish up a small patio if the weather will hold for us and then we are done for about a month so I will have alot of free time.

Talk to you later,
Bret
240 464 1426 (Cell)

360Landscaping
01-27-2009, 02:27 AM
Thanks Bret,

I hope the snow puts a little green in your pocket. I am wide open from Feb 9th - Feb 16th so pick a day/time that works for you.

Thanks again,
Mike
301-884-5195