PDA

View Full Version : Weathermatic SL

londonrain
11-02-2007, 07:25 PM
I field test new products on my own system before I even think about putting one up at a customers property. Checked on my new Weathermatic SL controller today and it showed a fault. The fault was that it did not receive the data from the weather monitor over night. Reset the Weather monitor and it still would not link up. Did a total reset on controller and still would not link up. Installed new Weather monitor and it still does not link up. Seems the controller is not allowing it to link up with the weather monitor.. This is the exact reason I field test new equipment before I install on a customers site.....
I will take it back on Monday for a new unit...... and will further evaluate the controller before I will install one....

Mike Leary
11-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Oh that gives me a lot of confidence, Hank & I installed SLs w/ commercial
weather this year, but season ended before we could test them. Let us know
how things are going. Is it the homeowner or commercial WS? Should not
matter.

londonrain
11-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Oh that gives me a lot of confidence, Hank & I installed SLs w/ commercial
weather this year, but season ended before we could test them. Let us know
how things are going. Is it the homeowner or commercial WS? Should not
matter.
Mike I have the smaller homeowner WM at my house and have another brand new WM in my truck, I tried the new one and the same problem...controller will not allow the link...

Mike Leary
11-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Your line about testing clocks, etc., was intriguing, I've done that with every
clock I've put into service, but did NOT with the SL because of my (in retrospect) foolish need to get the clock hung. If this bites us, we will quit
buying ALL WM product & I hope Mike Mason & Brodie & Mike are reading this.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Cr-p. LR I hope it gets solved to your satisfaction. I've got a bunch out there. It's not the little dodad that has to be plugged in that comes with the monitor is it? They should just swap the panel if you have the outdoor version.

londonrain
11-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Cr-p. LR I hope it gets solved to your satisfaction. I've got a bunch out there. It's not the little dodad that has to be plugged in that comes with the monitor is it? They should just swap the panel if you have the outdoor version.Peter, I tried replacing the module also..I will keep you posted...

Mike Leary
11-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Cr-p. LR I hope it gets solved to your satisfaction. I've got a bunch out there. It's not the little dodad that has to be plugged in that comes with the monitor is it? They should just swap the panel if you have the outdoor version.

:::shivers in Red Wing boots:::

EagleLandscape
11-02-2007, 11:14 PM
lr,

This may be a silly question, but did you use the communication hub that camwe with the weather monitor? did you tie in the red, black, and silver wires to the communication hub? or did you patch it into the sensor wire?

londonrain
11-03-2007, 12:47 AM
lr,

This may be a silly question, but did you use the communication hub that camwe with the weather monitor? did you tie in the red, black, and silver wires to the communication hub? or did you patch it into the sensor wire?
I tried replaced both the module and weather monitor with a brand new one. The problem is with the controller...I have and new controller on my truck and will replace the controller in the morning and I will still try the same WM and module..

EagleLandscape
11-03-2007, 11:13 AM
What version is the controller? Is it the new faceplate or an older one? Call weathermatic.

londonrain
11-03-2007, 11:27 AM
What version is the controller? Is it the new faceplate or an older one? Call weathermatic.sl800 ver 1.95
Will be replacing with a sl1600 today

londonrain
11-03-2007, 12:32 PM
This morning I checked the SL800 again and it would not go into auto adjust mode it said "I need the monitor" on the display, even though it was connected and showed no antenna icon. I killed the power to my pump so I could replace the pressure switch with a 40/60 switch and this also killed the power to the controller. When I turned the power back on, I noticed it now had the antenna Icon back on the display. I reset the weather monitor and now it is back working. This makes no sense since I killed the power last night but now it is back working...I will report back.....

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-03-2007, 12:46 PM
This morning I checked the SL800 again and it would not go into auto adjust mode it said "I need the monitor" on the display, even though it was connected and showed no antenna icon. I killed the power to my pump so I could replace the pressure switch with a 40/60 switch and this also killed the power to the controller. When I turned the power back on, I noticed it now had the antenna Icon back on the display. I reset the weather monitor and now it is back working. This makes no sense since I killed the power last night but now it is back working...I will report back.....

Also if your not to busy, try to take a picture of the 40/60 replacement?mini photo blog?

Kiril
11-03-2007, 01:17 PM

When dealing with microcircuits, a hard reset (remove all power including battery for 1-5 min) can solve many problems.

EagleLandscape
11-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Oh, did you syncronize the monitor with the controller? You know how to do that right? You have to hold down the top needle on the rain click for like 5-15 seconds. Did you try that?

londonrain
11-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Oh, did you syncronize the monitor with the controller? You know how to do that right? You have to hold down the top needle on the rain click for like 5-15 seconds. Did you try that?
Yes I tried doing it both ways, holding down the click for 15 secs and the button under the WM door next to the 9v...I had 3 green blinks and the final blink was red. The controller worked just fine for the last month and a half, then it gave me the fault code yesterday...

Rotor_Tool
11-03-2007, 02:11 PM
I am seeing visions of the Lawn-Mate controllers of late 80's and early 90's vintage. It is only a matter of time until you guys are replacing a bunch of these controllers. Everyone thought the silver bullet was "bullet-proof", how many of those solenoids have you replaced? The outlook is not good...

londonrain
11-03-2007, 02:42 PM
I am seeing visions of the Lawn-Mate controllers of late 80's and early 90's vintage. It is only a matter of time until you guys are replacing a bunch of these controllers. Everyone thought the silver bullet was "bullet-proof", how many of those solenoids have you replaced? The outlook is not good...Dont hate just because Rain Bird cant push ET without charging a fee because if it was for fee then all of the paying Maxicom subscribers would be up in arms.....

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I am seeing visions of the Lawn-Mate controllers of late 80's and early 90's vintage. It is only a matter of time until you guys are replacing a bunch of these controllers. Everyone thought the silver bullet was "bullet-proof", how many of those solenoids have you replaced? The outlook is not good...

Sounds like you are finally convinced that RB has been a moron on the ET issue so the only thing left to do is trash the competition.

By the way LR my 1600 is version 3.05

londonrain
11-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Just check my newest sl1600 and it is also 3.05

Rotor_Tool
11-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Dont hate just because Rain Bird cant push ET without charging a fee because if it was for fee then all of the paying Maxicom subscribers would be up in arms.....

Not familiar with a Maxi-Com subscriber? Familiar with lot's of Maxi-Com systems, but not a subscriber.

Not hating, just remembering when I replaced thousands of Lawn Mate controllers, if you ever used any; you would remember that too.

Rotor_Tool
11-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Sounds like you are finally convinced that RB has been a moron on the ET issue so the only thing left to do is trash the competition.

What? Not trashing the competition, just restating past events. Did you ever install any LM series controllers from Weather-Matic? Quick to market Chinese manufactured controllers are a risky business.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-03-2007, 03:02 PM
What? Not trashing the competition, just restating past events. Did you ever install any LM series controllers from Weather-Matic? Quick to market Chinese manufactured controllers are a risky business.

Never installed LMs. I was using the Richdel slide switch controller back then. Can't remember the number. We just had an issue with the ESPMs. That required me to replace several that I installed. One I replaced with the WM SL 1600:) RB problem in my opinion is they react to the market. They are not progressive enough. Why can't this smart powerful company come out with a decent remote?:confused:

Rotor_Tool
11-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Never installed LMs. I was using the Richdel slide switch controller back then. Can't remember the number. We just had an issue with the ESPMs. That required me to replace several that I installed. One I replaced with the WM SL 1600:) RB problem in my opinion is they react to the market. They are not progressive enough. Why can't this smart powerful company come out with a decent remote?:confused:

Another complaint of mine, I would even settle for the cheap p.o.s. that they used to sell. I have been known to put an ICC or two on because of the remote capability and the Hunter rep gave me an ICR remote for free.

I think the Richdel controller - the one with the blue slide swithches was a 508 or 518...something like that. My dad loved those things because that was the only controller he could figure out (and the RC).

Kiril
11-03-2007, 03:51 PM
RB has been a moron on the ET issue

:laugh: I mean come on man, who makes an ET controller that is only capable of running two hydrozones, charges a buttload of money for it, then sticks you for a monthly service fee. Oh yea RB does.

LR, have you checked your supply power?

Rotor_Tool
11-03-2007, 03:54 PM
:laugh: I mean come on man, who makes an ET controller that is only capable of running two hydrozones, charges a buttload of money for it, then sticks you for a monthly service fee. Oh yea RB does.

LR, have you checked your supply power?

Calsense? Hyrdo-Earth? Rain Master?

Kiril
11-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Calsense, surely you jest. Buttload of money, yea, but it is backed up with a buttload of features. Please, trying to compare Calsense with RB ET Manager. :hammerhead:

RB ET Manager = http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/477.gif

Calsense = http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/1356.gif

londonrain
11-03-2007, 05:09 PM
LR, have you checked your supply power? Transformer is putting out 27.5+- VAC...

Mike Leary
11-03-2007, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=Kiril;2020527]Calsense, surely you jest. Buttload of money, yea, but it is backed up with a buttload of features. Please, trying to compare Calsense with RB ET Manager. :hammerhead: QUOTE]

Calsense & Rain Master....kick bootie in that order. Everyone else is also
ran..RB, Toro, Tucor.....& downhill it goes.:)

Kiril
11-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Transformer is putting out 27.5+- VAC...

Any chance you can monitor over a period of time, and the line voltage as well? Perhaps your getting voltage fluctuations that are causing problems?

Mike Leary
11-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Any chance you can monitor over a period of time, and the line voltage as well? Perhaps your getting voltage fluctuations that are causing problems?

That output seems a tad low, I'll put my VOM on my SL tomorrow.

londonrain
11-03-2007, 06:22 PM
That output seems a tad low, I'll put my VOM on my SL tomorrow. The SL800 has a plug in type transformer and it is the one in the 27.5+- vac, I plugged a new SL1600 and it is in the 27.9 / 28vac range....

Mike Leary
11-03-2007, 06:46 PM
The SL800 has a plug in type transformer and it is the one in the 27.5+- vac, I plugged a new SL1600 and it is in the 27.9 / 28vac range....

In thinking more, I don't see you've a voltage problem...I'd be wondering
about a bent pin in the weather module or a bad module. Have you changed
out the module?

londonrain
12-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Controller and monitor have still been giving me problems on and off....So I talked with Wayne @ Weathermatic today and they want my controller and weather monitor back, so they can evaluate what the problem with the setup is.......

EagleLandscape
12-23-2007, 10:23 PM
any news on what the problem was? did you say what version it was?

Mike Leary
12-23-2007, 10:40 PM
WM gonna eat the labor? Me & Russ have two untried units also w/ weather.
Let us know, Wayne is a tech..go to the top.

irrigation oldtimer
01-03-2008, 10:32 AM
I field test new products on my own system before I even think about putting one up at a customers property. Checked on my new Weathermatic SL controller today and it showed a fault. The fault was that it did not receive the data from the weather monitor over night. Reset the Weather monitor and it still would not link up. Did a total reset on controller and still would not link up. Installed new Weather monitor and it still does not link up. Seems the controller is not allowing it to link up with the weather monitor.. This is the exact reason I field test new equipment before I install on a customers site.....
I will take it back on Monday for a new unit...... and will further evaluate the controller before I will install one....

Have you tried the diagnostics feature on the SLW weather monitor? Open the battery compartment on the SLW and push the left button and watch the LED light. It will blink 4 times. All blinks should be green. If the first blink is red, then the battery in the SLW should be replaced; if the second or third blinks are red, then the SLW is faulty and should be replaced; if the final blink is red, this means a communication problem in the cable or the connecting hub at the controller. Could be a staple though the cable or bad wire. Not likely the problem is the controller. make sure you have AC at the contrtoller and that the operating panel is firmly closed when you try to initiate communication. Make sure you have the correct date and time and the zip code in the controller.

londonrain
01-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Have you tried the diagnostics feature on the SLW weather monitor? Open the battery compartment on the SLW and push the left button and watch the LED light. It will blink 4 times. All blinks should be green. If the first blink is red, then the battery in the SLW should be replaced; if the second or third blinks are red, then the SLW is faulty and should be replaced; if the final blink is red, this means a communication problem in the cable or the connecting hub at the controller. Could be a staple though the cable or bad wire. Not likely the problem is the controller. make sure you have AC at the contrtoller and that the operating panel is firmly closed when you try to initiate communication. Make sure you have the correct date and time and the zip code in the controller.

Yes I tried everything you suggested plus other things..
Only one time did I get a error message from the controller, did not receive data overnight error.. after that no error messages just intermittent operation

4th blink was red...installed new weather monitor on controller in question and same problem...
Installed the weather monitor in question on a new controller and it worked fine...

It is a fault in the controller....talked with Wayne at Weathermatic and he said that they have never had this problem, so I sent the entire setup back to weathermatic for evaluation.....

Setup would work for a few days/weeks then stop responding even though it was still connected...then would come back and work for a few days again...
No type of staples used on wire...

EagleLandscape
01-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Did you replace the communication hub as well?

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-05-2008, 08:10 AM
The display on my SL 1600 flickers constantly. The programming is fine and it works as designed but the flickering is annoying. I may swap it under warranty.

irrigation oldtimer
01-07-2008, 02:17 PM
The display on my SL 1600 flickers constantly. The programming is fine and it works as designed but the flickering is annoying. I may swap it under warranty.

This problem has been corrected by Weathermatic on the 3.07 firmware. The flicking was only visible when when the user was looking downward on the display in low light conditions. It was bothersome but not damaging to the controller. It was just an incorrect refresh setting for the display.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-07-2008, 02:22 PM
This problem has been corrected by Weathermatic on the 3.07 firmware. The flicking was only visible when when the user was looking downward on the display in low light conditions. It was bothersome but not damaging to the controller. It was just an incorrect refresh setting for the display.

In this case it flickers looking directly at it. I think this may be something a little different. I have the latest firmware in this and I've installed a bunch of these that didn't do this.

irrigation oldtimer
01-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Yes I tried everything you suggested plus other things..
Only one time did I get a error message from the controller, did not receive data overnight error.. after that no error messages just intermittent operation

4th blink was red...installed new weather monitor on controller in question and same problem...
Installed the weather monitor in question on a new controller and it worked fine...

It is a fault in the controller....talked with Wayne at Weathermatic and he said that they have never had this problem, so I sent the entire setup back to weathermatic for evaluation.....

Setup would work for a few days/weeks then stop responding even though it was still connected...then would come back and work for a few days again...
No type of staples used on wire...

Could also be that you are having intermittent AC outages occurring at 11:50 to midnight when the SLW is trying to communicate with the controller. If so, that days communication would be lost but the the AC is on at the next day at communication time, then the controller would receive data for that day.

Kiril
01-07-2008, 02:27 PM
In this case it flickers looking directly at it. I think this may be something a little different. I have the latest firmware in this and I've installed a bunch of these that didn't do this.

I think your just going blind. ;)

londonrain
01-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Could also be that you are having intermittent AC outages occurring at 11:50 to midnight when the SLW is trying to communicate with the controller. If so, that days communication would be lost but the the AC is on at the next day at communication time, then the controller would receive data for that day.No it is a problem with the controller......