PDA

View Full Version : Need help

cat2
11-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Instead of buying a door for my bobcat, this weekend I'm going to make one. If anyone has any ideas please tell me. Thanks:)

tallrick
11-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Most doors are just glass or plexiglass in a metal frame. I would go with plexiglass and steel folded into channels. I have seen some ugly improvisations, one guy made a "door" from some furring strips and clear vinyl for trailer windows. Doors are rare here, as few machines have air conditioning.

cat2
11-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Yea I'm going to use plexiglass, in a steel frame but not sure what kind of steel I'm going to use. Any idea of what kind of hinges to get? What about the handle?

YellowDogSVC
11-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Door frames are cheap at about 80 bucks. Glass is about 100 and the seals another 50. Not sure on hardware like door handle but that's still cheap for a good sealing door if you have a g series or later.

cat2
11-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Worked on it a little today. I'm using plexiglass. I got it cut, and bent. It is a K series so up by the lights had to be bent back. This is what I was thinking, Cut and bend plexiglass to size and shape, then take 1'' wide steel and have it flush with the edge of the plexiglass and go all the way around. Should I put the steel around just the front, or the back or both? don't want the door do heavy. I think I will go around the back, that way if there is any gaps between the plexiglass and the bobcat rops the steel will kind of seal it. If it is too heavy it may crack the plexiglass I think. The plexiglass isn't going to fog up or anything is it. I don't think it will. what is the best way to clean it? have to put some Rain X on it

cat2
11-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Whats everyone think:confused:

tallrick
11-04-2007, 09:12 PM
I built one years back for use on those "rare" cold days. It was nothing but 1 inch angle welded at the corners, and I set the plexiglass in the inner side of the angle in a bed of silicone, with screws through the outside holding it in. I also added a strip of foam where the plexiglass and rops would meet. We found out that metal on metal made a lot of noise.

RockSet N' Grade
11-04-2007, 09:17 PM
sorry Cat2........no real opinion or experience here on that one......

cat2
11-04-2007, 09:25 PM
I built one years back for use on those "rare" cold days. It was nothing but 1 inch angle welded at the corners, and I set the plexiglass in the inner side of the angle in a bed of silicone, with screws through the outside holding it in. I also added a strip of foam where the plexiglass and rops would meet. We found out that metal on metal made a lot of noise.

Thanks, I will have to put some foam there, Thanks again:)

YellowDogSVC
11-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Worked on it a little today. I'm using plexiglass. I got it cut, and bent. It is a K series so up by the lights had to be bent back. This is what I was thinking, Cut and bend plexiglass to size and shape, then take 1'' wide steel and have it flush with the edge of the plexiglass and go all the way around. Should I put the steel around just the front, or the back or both? don't want the door do heavy. I think I will go around the back, that way if there is any gaps between the plexiglass and the bobcat rops the steel will kind of seal it. If it is too heavy it may crack the plexiglass I think. The plexiglass isn't going to fog up or anything is it. I don't think it will. what is the best way to clean it? have to put some Rain X on it

If you cab is tight it may fog up. Mine does..

cat2
11-04-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm putting plexiglass on the sides too, I'll leave a little gap some where, so it doesn't fog up, but I still will be alot warmer.:)

bobcat_ron
11-04-2007, 11:06 PM
So why not just buy an OEM door????

cat2
11-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Ahhhhhh All done, plexiglass on the sides and made the front door. All ready for winter now:)