PDA

View Full Version : Excavating websites

Fieldman12
11-02-2007, 08:56 PM
How many of you have a website for you business? Do you think it has helped attract customers in your area? Could you guys post them? Im kicking it around about making one.

RockSet N' Grade
11-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I am in the process of completing a website. It is up and running and has been for about 6 months. It has helped me sign the deal. I think it gives you some type of credibility. I have not gotten any calls from the site for work......may still be too early in the game. Some of the larger companies around here get alot of work just from the sinage on their trucks and equipment.

YellowDogSVC
11-03-2007, 10:15 AM
I have two websites that have similar content but look different. I get most of my business from the websites and it's a good place to explain what I do. I am always working to improve them. My oldest website, the yellowdogservices.com, has been on the web since 2001 and ranks 1 or 2nd or 3rd in my categories on major search engines like yahoo and google. It's a constant battle to stay at the top.

http://www.yellowdogservices.com
http://www.brushchipping.com

RockSet N' Grade
11-03-2007, 11:29 AM
YellowDog....I have visited your sites often. Well put together. I thought the old man/flag/dog was an artist rendering of you :)

YellowDogSVC
11-03-2007, 11:56 AM
I found that picture and never found out who the artist was so I put "artist" unknown. I researched it because I didn't want to steal copyrighted material but that picture is moving. My yellowdog looks a lot like that dog.

SiteSolutions
11-03-2007, 02:37 PM
I got a guy to start working on one for me and will probably get that up eventually. I think the signage and word of mouth gets more business still in this line of work but more and more people look for stuff online everyday.

YellowDogSVC
11-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Dunno. I did a cost benefit analysis of my websites. I get more lucrative and long term work with them and don't have to spend as much time running around doing bids. People find my site, correspond, and if we hit it off and I can help them, I get the job.

You could make a simple site in 30 minutes, have it hosted within a day, and pay no more than 30 bucks a month. You can do it all yourself. I wouldn't pay anyone because you can't update as easily and the tools are out there to design your own. Simple is fine for this type of website.

bobbyg18
11-03-2007, 05:59 PM
ive found a website gives you more credibility...it shows you are serious about your business...when people dont know you from a hole in the wall, a site makes them feel more comfortable about you...i get a lot of business from craigslist where i attach my website link...most of my competition on craigslist do not have websites...and i found i got more calls after the website was up and running...

i do need to update my site...i have my old machine on there and i have before and after photos i want to make a link for... as well as my new pickup truck and OTT pics...for another day...

SiteSolutions
11-03-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm just paying the guy to get the look I want; not hokey or amatuer. After that I will probably update it myself. I still get a lot of business from other contractors and that doesn't take much advertising, just good old fashioned leg work.

YellowDogSVC
11-04-2007, 01:13 AM
site solutions, have you ever thought about sending out a thank you for referrals? I have toyed with the idea but haven't followed through.

Fieldman12
11-04-2007, 01:33 AM
I have been doing craigslist for about a month now and have been updating it every few days. I am listed a couple places there and so far no calls. That is why I'm thinking of building a website so I could give some visual and more info. I use to have a store online so I'm familiar how to be a web master. I seem to have much better luck with people that know me. Those that do know im honest , reliable and try to do my best.

YellowDogSVC
11-04-2007, 01:45 AM
I have been doing craigslist for about a month now and have been updating it every few days. I am listed a couple places there and so far no calls. That is why I'm thinking of building a website so I could give some visual and more info. I use to have a store online so I'm familiar how to be a web master. I seem to have much better luck with people that know me. Those that do know im honest , reliable and try to do my best.

You have attributes that people look for. Try Google Adwords and Yahoo Sponsored Search for your area. They are reasonably priced and fairly easy to learn.
Small yard signs with your .com name would be helpful though I'm too lazy to put those up myself. I think it's one of the most overlooked forms of advertising...I need to start doing it but just haven't for some reason.
Come up with an easy to remember dot com name that so people can put a name to the service when they are surfing the web.

You might consider joining your local chamber and then have a ribbon cutting with advertisement for your dot com.

bobcat_ron
11-04-2007, 12:48 PM
http://www.triple-bexcavating.com/

Man, it needs updating.

YellowDogSVC
11-04-2007, 02:04 PM
bobcat ron,

impressive array of iron. I like how your site is laid out...
we don't get much call for lagoons down here, though. lol

bobcat_ron
11-04-2007, 03:15 PM
bobcat ron,

impressive array of iron. I like how your site is laid out...
we don't get much call for lagoons down here, though. lol

Clay based soils only allows only manure penetration up to 2", so water table contamination is not an issue, but the soil is soooooo much more fun when it gets wet, then it turns to slippery snotty fun!

Scag48
11-05-2007, 12:58 AM
Got some nice iron there, Ron! What happened to that Kobelco? Looks like a pretty nice piece

bobcat_ron
11-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Like I said, major updating is needed, The Kobelco went away, no one liked running it, it had issues with the comfort of the pilot controls and a brass sleeve from one of the pumps detonated all the hydraulic pumps one day and killed it in less than 2 minutes, so it was later traded for a new CAT 320CL, the old CAT 330BL is gone, replaced by a Volvo 290, but it's now rented and soon sold and a new CAT 308 is on order, in Oct '06 we bought a new CAT 320CLU (bare machine) and that was a trade from the 330, the Kenworth Tractor and Low bed is gone, the boss certainly doesn't miss that, now we have a Pete gravel truck with pup trailer and a TrailKing 50,000 lbs tilt trailer to haul the machines under 22 ton. There is now a new CAT 563 compactor with all the goodies, and that JD 110 is gone, not the most suitable size. The last pic there needs to be is of the little "Wacky 'tachi" EX27, bought last year with a full EROPS and thumb, quite a nice size machine and impressive performance.
I have pics of the 'tachi and a Vovlo 180WB (rubber wheeled) we rented for three months to ditch clean, that is the most missed machine of them all.