PDA

View Full Version : New seed going into winter

carcrz
11-02-2007, 11:11 PM
What do you tell lawn renovation customers when there are freezing temps going in the next week or so? Can you still safely fertilize & water?

carcrz
11-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Not a single thought?

Marcos
11-04-2007, 08:43 PM
What do you tell lawn renovation customers when there are freezing temps going in the next week or so? Can you still safely fertilize & water?

carcrz, I assume that these are jobs that you've already finished, correct?
(please say yes)

Wheew! I'd sure hoped that you weren't talking about renovating this late.
(The seeding door's been closed until 'dormant seeding' season begins, which is usually after Thanksgiving around here.)

Going into freezing temps, I'd recommend that the soil certainly be moist, but not soaked. Some moisture will help to 'insulate' the fledgling growth a bit. And fertilizing? I assume that it's been fertilized with something high phosphorus already. I wouldn't put any more fertilizer on it 'till next spring, because it may send a 'wrong message' to the turf if you get some abnormally warm weather in your area in Dec, then you'll get tip burn.

baddboygeorge
11-05-2007, 12:14 AM
when the sun is out put the water to it!

carcrz
11-05-2007, 08:49 PM
I did them last week. We're still seeing 70* here from time to time. But all of a sudden, Missouri weather kicked in & we started seeing low 30's almost every night. I figure if they water mid morning after the frost is gone, that should be soaked in good enough to keep it from freezing over night.

carcrz
11-05-2007, 08:50 PM
I do have people still asking for full reno's though. I started turning them down when we started seeing constant freezing temps.

baddboygeorge
11-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Do em hell I seed up until thanksgiving no joke!!

Burkhart Lawn Care
11-07-2007, 06:23 PM
I have one of my contractors wants his own back yard done this saturday, in TN we had our 1st freeze lastnight at 29. Avg. temp is 35/60 day. thanx. Billy

baddboygeorge
11-07-2007, 08:09 PM
you'll be fine hit it hard an apply starter! have fun George

Burkhart Lawn Care
11-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Will do thanks George