PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Work

YellowDogSVC
11-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Just wondering how many of you with families/kids work weekends? I personally try to take weekends off for time with the kids, do repairs, ranch chores, or occasionally do a bid. I have found that it gives me something to look forward to and I'm flexible enough that if I have to work a Saturday or Sunday, I can but mostly choose to chill and relax on the weekend.

What about the rest of you?

RockSet N' Grade
11-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Last year we worked 4 months 7 days a week. Everything suffered. I would prefer to have a life along with a work life. This year, we have worked Sat's when called to do so and a Sun here and there.....but for the most part, 5 during the week is more than enough. We were "out of balance" last year. At the end of the day I do not want to "live to work" but "work to live".......I missed out on alot of the living part last year and do not wish to repeat it. I was fear driven last year because of high debt and had a plan to reduce/eliminate my debt. I accomplished my goal and now work only 5......I am alot more content, physically and emotionally in better shape.

YellowDogSVC
11-03-2007, 11:55 AM
i follow the dave ramsey plan for debt and one of the points Dave makes is that you have to integrate work and family life. It's tough to find the balance but too much work makes jack a dull boy indeed! Though it gets loud, I do all my research, reading, computer stuff, and customer emails on the computer in the den where everyone else is. I am at least part of what's going on and that helps and keeps me home instead of at an office. I try to include the kids in some repairs over at the barn so they spend time with me while I work.

RockSet N' Grade
11-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Most interesting.....My wife has her own business and generates a respectable gross. She has admittedly always been financially out of control, yet because of her income, has covered it up. She read and has implemented alot of Ramsey's thoughts into her financial arena. She has been doing this for 2-3 years now and has really moved forward towards her personal goals.

SiteSolutions
11-03-2007, 02:34 PM
I worked 3-midnight May 06 to May 07, and then used the mornings to try to get my loader biz off the ground. My relationship with the family, especially the kids, suffered. I don't ever want to do that again.

I've been careful starting this spring to take Saturday as a day of rest with the family as much as I can. We go to church on Sunday and generally spend that with my extended family, my folks, bro, sis, their families. It's funny cause I was just talking to a wife of a guy in the same line of work, bigger operation, been in it a couple more years... he's working today and I was wishing I had work to do. It's a real struggle to stay away from work sometimes, once you find something you love to do, and especially when you're broke.

We went to a fall festival this morning with the kiddos and hopefully we will have some naps and maybe watch the LSU v Bama game this afternoon.

I've worked a couple Sundays this year, a few hours anyway. Worked one or two saturdays when I had to, but generally try to get it all done by Friday afternoon. It will be there on Monday. Twice a year, I've got a bush hog job for a 7th day adventist church that I can do before church on Sunday morning if i get out the door early... I did it during the week this fall cause I was slow. They just don't want me to do it on the sabbath.

Great thread!

YellowDogSVC
11-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Most interesting.....My wife has her own business and generates a respectable gross. She has admittedly always been financially out of control, yet because of her income, has covered it up. She read and has implemented alot of Ramsey's thoughts into her financial arena. She has been doing this for 2-3 years now and has really moved forward towards her personal goals.

It just makes good sense. No scams, no programs, just good sense and the use of the word "NO". Delayed gratification.
I used want this and want that. Now I look at what the joneses have and think, "boy, are they in debt".
I do think that my line of work necessitates a machine payment until I can generate enough money to buy one outright because there just isn't anything used that fits my need. Brush mowers and Bobcats that can handle them just haven't been out to long. I just sold one that can handle a brush mower and there was nothing on the market around here to compare it when I tried to price it. It makes me nervous running only one machine but I want to be out of debt if the economy takes a dive and run lean for a few months. I can handle one payment even in lean times.

YellowDogSVC
11-03-2007, 02:58 PM
I worked 3-midnight May 06 to May 07, and then used the mornings to try to get my loader biz off the ground. My relationship with the family, especially the kids, suffered. I don't ever want to do that again.

I've been careful starting this spring to take Saturday as a day of rest with the family as much as I can. We go to church on Sunday and generally spend that with my extended family, my folks, bro, sis, their families. It's funny cause I was just talking to a wife of a guy in the same line of work, bigger operation, been in it a couple more years... he's working today and I was wishing I had work to do. It's a real struggle to stay away from work sometimes, once you find something you love to do, and especially when you're broke.

We went to a fall festival this morning with the kiddos and hopefully we will have some naps and maybe watch the LSU v Bama game this afternoon.

I've worked a couple Sundays this year, a few hours anyway. Worked one or two saturdays when I had to, but generally try to get it all done by Friday afternoon. It will be there on Monday. Twice a year, I've got a bush hog job for a 7th day adventist church that I can do before church on Sunday morning if i get out the door early... I did it during the week this fall cause I was slow. They just don't want me to do it on the sabbath.

Great thread!

Yeah, you have it figured out! You will be successful and have support of friends and family (and everyone they know) along for the ride.

dozerman21
11-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Just wondering how many of you with families/kids work weekends? I personally try to take weekends off for time with the kids, do repairs, ranch chores, or occasionally do a bid. I have found that it gives me something to look forward to and I'm flexible enough that if I have to work a Saturday or Sunday, I can but mostly choose to chill and relax on the weekend.

What about the rest of you?

Same here. I will/do work weekends, especially Saturdays, when needed, but when you have a family you look at things a lot different than you did when you were single w/o kids, and had more time for work. Spring and early summer is usually a given for me that I'll be working part of a weekend, but I try to work long days during the week to prevent it as much as I can. If I do go out on a weekend, I try to keep it from being a long day and taking up my nighttime as well. It doesn't matter how much money you have, you can't buy back lost time. I don't want to look back one day and have regrets.

tallrick
11-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Weekends were the only time I was doing landscape related work. My friend who owned the business never deprived his wife and children of family time. There were times I was the only one taking on the weekend projects, digging for patios, moving mulch, picking up after tree trimmers with the loader. When my friend moved, no more work. Honestly I miss it.

Fieldman12
11-04-2007, 01:42 AM
Well, I work a regular job 40 hours week, plus help farm on the side and do some smaller excavating jobs. I try to keep my weekends open as much as I can for family and gf. Some times that is hard to do especially since I have allot going on during the week and now that daylight is getting shorter about the only time I have any time to do dirt work is on the weekend. Things for the most part are still slow for me so I don't have a big worry about that yet. In time it will be an issue though.

YellowDogSVC
11-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Weekends were the only time I was doing landscape related work. My friend who owned the business never deprived his wife and children of family time. There were times I was the only one taking on the weekend projects, digging for patios, moving mulch, picking up after tree trimmers with the loader. When my friend moved, no more work. Honestly I miss it.

where are you in S. Florida? I grew up in Davie/Ft. Lauderdale

bobcat_ron
11-04-2007, 12:45 PM
I need Saturdays to wash the Bobcat off and the rest of the time bashing and beating the hell out of my R/C vehicles.

tallrick
11-04-2007, 06:46 PM
where are you in S. Florida? I grew up in Davie/Ft. Lauderdale

I grew up in Kendall and lived in the Clewiston area for a while. I am now in Key Largo.

Scag48
11-05-2007, 12:40 AM
Depends on the work. Our landscape foreman does not work weekends whatsoever, so if our landscape crew is out working on the weekends, my old man runs that crew. They rarely work Saturdays and Sundays only if they're strapped for time. When I was excavating, I was 7 days a week, there was always something to be done. We always ended up booking enough work to keep the equipment running until the snow flies, never had a problem with pushing 75+ hour weeks. Sundays I'd usually take it easy, maintain the equipment, onsite of course as I mentioned in the other thread our equipment rarely makes it back to the shop. I'd clean up the truck, fill the transfer tank, pack grease guns, go buy any parts that I might need for the week ahead.