PDA

View Full Version : Meg-mo Vrs Leaves....

KathysLGC
11-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Ok i know many who haven't used them want to know how well they really work so i decided to post a few pics of just how well they do in leaves.

You'll see on this property many trees are still green and they lawn sucks so it won't do a good job at hiding the mulched leaves but this is just to show what meg-mos can do and how small they chop up the leaves. i had to go over this small pile about 4-5 times to get them like this and most of the passes where in reverse. i like to keep the shoot down to keep the output from being spread to far. Since I'm side discharging and mulching I want the leave to stay close.

These are the before pics.

advantage landscaping
11-03-2007, 07:21 PM
OK, and? the after?

KathysLGC
11-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Now here are the after pics..........

KathysLGC
11-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Here are some close up pics of just how small the leaves get. As you can see from the leaf, they really do mulch leaves well but if you plan to mulch the leaves you will need to know their limit. This was obviously too many leaves to mulch but since it was a crappy part of the lawn I didn't care.

mkwl
11-03-2007, 07:54 PM
I'd assume that you blow those leaves off the lawn so they don't create a "mat" and block out the grass growth?

TLS
11-03-2007, 07:56 PM
You need an OCDC man!

Check my sig.

KathysLGC
11-03-2007, 08:36 PM
In this part of the lawn there is no need to blow out the leaves except for around the tree. There was hardly any grass there to begin with. i would mulch that many leaves on a lawn. this was just to show how Meg-mos work.

TLS, They're not really meant to be used with an OCDC but i am thinking of getting one..... How much?

TLS
11-03-2007, 08:46 PM
TLS, They're not really meant to be used with an OCDC but i am thinking of getting one..... How much?

You can use an OCDC with any type of blade.
Wait until you try mulching when you can close off the discharge. You think those clippings are small!

$125 plus actual UPS shipping.

KathysLGC
11-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Hmmmm $125. isn't so bad. I have a blade sharpener for sale. If it sells I'll buy it off you.

Meg-mo claims there system works best side discharging

TLS
11-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Hmmmm $125. isn't so bad. I have a blade sharpener for sale. If it sells I'll buy it off you.

Meg-mo claims there system works best side discharging

Let me know.

Sure all blades work best when side discharging.

But when you don't want to spray the side of a house with green grass, or you don't want to discharge leaves 3 swaths away, you need to do something. You stated you simply lower your shoot. Well this does the same thing! Plus you can TOTALLY close off the discharge. Not to mention directing it down at a sharp angle to blow off driveways, and loosen stubborn packed down wet leaves.

Adam's Lawn and Garden
11-04-2007, 12:16 AM
Hey,
Do th Meg Mo really hold up to what they say they do? I change my regular exmark blades all the time to keep that good cut. Just wondering how they hold up.

Adam

EJD Lawnpride
11-04-2007, 12:48 AM
How much are the meg-mos?

TLS
11-04-2007, 08:33 AM
How much are the meg-mos?

From $165 to $225 depending on deck size.

KathysLGC
11-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Hey,
Do th Meg Mo really hold up to what they say they do? I change my regular exmark blades all the time to keep that good cut. Just wondering how they hold up.

Adam

For what i use them for I'd say, yes they hold up well. i usually use them for spring/fall clean ups. i hit sticks a lot with them. When i look at them I dont see any nicks, just a dull edge which makes sharpening easier/fast.

FERT-TEK
11-04-2007, 02:02 PM
I have used the Meg-Mo leaves for years with no complaints from my Toro Z-500 but have found that there is too much blowout on my Exmark TTHP walk behind to work well. I believe this is due to the amount of vacuum and the shallower deck. For the fall I switched back to Gators with a definite improvement reducing blowout.

If any of you have found a solution to this blowout problem on a walk behind I would like to hear.

ed2hess
11-04-2007, 06:46 PM
You can use an OCDC with any type of blade.
Wait until you try mulching when you can close off the discharge. You think those clippings are small!

$125 plus actual UPS shipping.

I agree that if the outlet is blocked you can almost use any kind of blade o the small amount of leaves shown in the picture. On a side note not related to the thread ......when are you going to make blocking device that can be easily slide up/down into position. I presently have to take 2 bolts on/off to put mine off and on. I don't want anything flapping beyond the side of the mower. And there needs to be a skid bar on the bottom side of the deck so when the outlet is opne it doesn't catch on the trailer ramps and tear eith the mower or the trailer up.

Adam's Lawn and Garden
11-04-2007, 07:01 PM
It's ironic because those blockers are made down the road from me. I have the original version of that, and if you pull it to the full open position, then pull it real quick about half an inch, it flips the flap up over so it makes it like the cover is completely off. It's nice for getting around obstacles. When you need to put it back down, do the same thing and it falls back down.

Adam

baddboygeorge
11-05-2007, 12:25 AM
My gator blades do that !!

John Gamba
11-05-2007, 06:27 AM
In this part of the lawn there is no need to blow out the leaves except for around the tree. There was hardly any grass there to begin with. i would mulch that many leaves on a lawn. this was just to show how Meg-mos work.

You can use it with them. just make sure the leaves are dry.