PDA

View Full Version : How often

cat2
11-03-2007, 08:55 PM
How often do you wash and wax your equipment? I hand wash and wax my bobcat twice a year. It gets dirty around the farm, If I went out and did other stuff I would wash it more often. The neighbors don't care as long as I get their driveways cleaned in the winter

kreft
11-03-2007, 09:15 PM
we do a total clean/wax twice a year to, for the skid steer.

as for the mowers once a year and wash once a week.

dump truck and enclosed trailer washed every 2 weeks.

cat2
11-03-2007, 09:26 PM
That Turtle wax really really helps to protect the paint, and when you powerwash it the next time everything comes off so much nicer.

AWJ Services
11-03-2007, 10:18 PM
I clean mine once or twice a month and use a soap called dewbrite.
It has a brightening agent in it.It is designed too clean painted aluminum like trailers.
It really shines it up even as much as wax.

RockSet N' Grade
11-03-2007, 10:31 PM
I guess from the previous posts, I would be considered more of a fanatic. Wash and wax dump truck and pick up every two weeks. Track ho and skid get cleaned after each job and occasionally washed down before transport at the end of each job. The interiors of the skids, hoes, tractors, trucks are cleaned of trash at the end of each day and the floors are broom swept clean. There is windex in each rig and the glass is cleaned each a.m. when we grease. I have found if I stay on top of it like this, it takes little time instead of a major chore after months of time. My "cabs" are my office and I prefer to be as clean as possible. Each job we are on, there is trash clean up at the end of each day........from cig. butts, paper, cans......trash, etc......we are broom swept clean as a matter of routine. Guess I am kinda funny that way....

Fieldman12
11-04-2007, 01:54 AM
Well, I can tell you I'm very, very, particular about equipment. I'm one of those guys if it don't look nice and is not taken the very best of care I won't own it. All equipment including truck stays in the barn all the time. I try to keep equipment as dry as possible. Tractors get washed and waxed spring and fall. I use to wash my truck every week at least once a week. I know just wash it about once a month but that is as long as it's not in a bunch of mud. It's been pretty dry here all year. The skid steer just gets washed when it's muddy. If it's just dusty I try to just lightly blow the dust off and clean the windows, seat and so on. The skid steer gets greased every time it is used allot which would be every time I use it unless it was just moving something little for a few minutes. I keep records when maintenance has been done on machines. I touch paint up in the fall. I cannot stand to see scratches on equipment. I know at times it's hard to avoid but if it happens I fix it. I have seen skid steers out there that it looked like it's main job was to get all scratched up in life.

YellowDogSVC
11-04-2007, 01:00 AM
I won't wax unless it's at the carwash. Cedar scratches and chips the paint so I just have to live with it. I try to wash it 1x per month and blow it off regularly. I open up the cab and panels often to clean out the crap. The only thing I never do is take off the side windows and clean. If someone tells me how to EASILY do that, I will try it but never got around to learning. Did learn how to put a glass back into the bobcat frame though.. that sucked real bad!

Scag48
11-04-2007, 02:39 AM
Our machines never make it back to the shop, they're rarely washed. I like to keep the iron clean, but it just doesn't happen sometimes. I'm all for keeping a professional image, but when the machines are out working and making money the last thing you're worried about is getting them clean.

YellowDogSVC
11-04-2007, 11:02 AM
as long as they don't look like salvage machines I'm happy! I just keep my cab clean and the engine compartment clean weekly so I can watch for leaks and be comfortable when operating but when it's real dusty, I just can't keep it real clean.

Dirt Digger2
11-04-2007, 11:17 AM
whenever a machine goes into our shop to get worked on, oil change, etc... it usually gets the interior vaccumed out and steam washed and thats it, we never wax our machines.

the trucks get washed and waxed when we have slow days where not a whole lot of work is going on, typically in the spring

talus
11-04-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm a neat freak. All my stuff is usually spotless. Yes, it's more than likely because I'm not as busy as most of you, but after leaving a job if I pass a car wash I blast most of the stuff off. When I get home I do it again with the hot water pressure washer if it's real bad. Yes I do wax everything and yes I know I do have problems but my stuff sits outside. It really bothers me to do this but don't have a shop built yet. A tip for you guys with a white trailer. To clean the black streaks off it use any kind of purple cleaner (super clean, purple power etc). If I wash the entire trailer i pour some in a bucket to dilute it. If you just need a touch up you can spray it on directly on the spot but try to rinse it off with water after. I use it in the wife's horse trailer all the time. CAUTION if you have any polished aluminum on the trailer the purple cleaner will make it look like crap if you get it on it. It comes off with never dull or like product but is alot more work. It turns the aluminum like a greenish black almost like mildew. Not the entire thing but in certain spots. For wax I have found the turtle wax ice liquid to be the best so far. It goes on easy, off easy and most important it's clear so if you get it on anything else you wont't see it and if you do it comes off very easy. I suggest if anybody is going to try the purple cleaner do it on a small spot and make your own decision. It hasn't harmed the paint on the trailer but I have followed the salesman's instructions from the trailer place and it has worked wonderfully. For colored trailers I would use regular car wash. If anyone tries it let me know what you think.

bobcat_ron
11-04-2007, 12:35 PM
From September to May I keep my T190 washed every Saturday, just a de-greaser sprayed on with a garden sprayer and a high pressure nozzle I made for a garden hose to wash all the mud and dirt out of the undercarriage. Every 2 months I'll do the little Hitachi EX27, inside and out, and all of our heavier CAT equipment gets broom swept clean inside the cabs with a full outer wash 3 times a year, more often during an oil leak or brush cutting season. All the trucks and trailers get washed every month, my truck gets every week and the trailer gets washed every month.

jbone
11-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Although he isnt a landscaper - a guy in my firehouse maintains the property during the warmer months. He washes the JD tractor every time its used and waxes it about 2-3 times a year. It looks brand new. When the service guy came from JD to service it he couldnt believe it. He almost left b/c he thought the 13 y/o tractor wasnt there for some reason, and all he saw was "the brand new one":laugh: