PDA

View Full Version : Skid Steer Mulcher Size

arnie12340
11-03-2007, 11:19 PM
I have purchased an ASV RC100 and I'm getting ready to buy a Mulcher. I am leaning toward the FAE and I'm wondering about the size I should purchase. It would seem that the Mulcher should cover the tracks but, this person said it doesn't really matter. He is an experienced Mulcher person (3 years) but, also is trying to sell his FAE. What is your experiences with this issue?

P.Services
11-04-2007, 12:00 AM
no it dosent matter your not mowing grass and trying to make stripes. someone on here has a fae for sale with 300hrs on it. have you installed the cooler on your rc100?

arnie12340
11-04-2007, 12:40 AM
No I haven't installed a cooler yet. Does the ASV dealer sell them?

YellowDogSVC
11-04-2007, 01:54 AM
The narrower the mower, the more hp per tooth you will get. FAE has a nice tooth pattern and leaves good mulch and works well on ASV. You could look at the CAT version which I run and honestly LOVE. It is only rated for a max 36 gpm but I run 37 and haven't had any issues.
The new Bobcat mower is a FECON, I believe but the spiral pattern and 5ft cutting width would be a perfect fit for your machine both weigh-wise and hydraulic requirements. I believe you are at 38 gpm and 3300 psi? Bobcat is 37 gpm and 3300 psi and the new bobcat forestry mower is matched for the new K series Bobcats with 37gpm pumps. I haven't used one but we all know FECON is a good brand and the spiral tooth pattern will mean you can cut without bogging down as much.

Let us know how it turns out!

JDSKIDSTEER
11-04-2007, 07:22 AM
YellowDog, Have you ever saw a Magnum used. I have sold several. I have a customer who runs a T300 and T320 with one. He has had serious overheating problems with his Fecon heads. I think a lot of Bobcats over heating problems are from the High flow running through regular flow fittings combined with hoses running inside the booms. The magnum I sold them has a external oil cooler on it. When we come out with joy sticks he has already told me to order him a CT332. We were running the Magnum head with out the cooler in 105 deg weather with no problems on the CT332.

YellowDogSVC
11-04-2007, 10:58 AM
I haven't heard anything about the new machines overheating. I haven't overheated a machine since K series came out. Most importantly, I find that keeping the oil cooler free of debris keeps the machine running smooth. On the other brand machines with bigger hiflow fittings, don't they neck down to the same size hydraulic lines?
I have seen the magnums. To me, the ones with somewhat of a spiral pattern all work about the same. The ones with straight line of teeth seem to have too many teeth contacting the ground or material and that really makes the pump work harder.

P.Services
11-04-2007, 05:32 PM
No I haven't installed a cooler yet. Does the ASV dealer sell them?

no, you need to get a cooler from the dealer of the brand of head you will be running. they run about 3,000-4,000. my fecon dealer has sold 4 heads that were put on ct332 and all four people have come back to get the cooler. so that should tell you something. i have only run fecon so i cant really compare to anything else but it cuts very good. the dealers had me convinced i could just come up to a 9'' tree and chew it up in seconds and this machine would be soooo productive..... not the case 4'' and 5'' yeah, but any thing over that with only 100hp is underpowered in my opinion. i have mulched 20'' trees to nothing but it takes a hour.
do you get the landscape and tree service equipment trader magazine?

YellowDogSVC
11-04-2007, 05:44 PM
I agree but think 4-6 inch is good for a skid steer mower. Takes a little finesse but you can grind bigger softwoods like cedar and juniper here in Texas. I grind trees in the 12-15 inch range but mostly when I am grinding piles. It isn't efficient to do large, standing trees that big though you can knock off the top and grind down the stump in just a few minutes on a BIG cedar BUT cleaning up all the limbs is a PAIN and I find it is cleaner and more efficient to shear and chip the big trees and brush mow the smaller. Yeah, it's more equipment on site and typically costs 1/3more to do it that way but the results blow away just mulching everything.

Digdeep
11-04-2007, 08:00 PM
You don't need the external cooler on the RC100. My buddy does nothing but mulch with his RC100 and he has never had a problem with over heating AS LONG AS HE REGULARLY CLEANS HIS OIL COOLER AND RADIATOR. I was told by the local Bradco rep that the external cooler that the magnum uses was designed for the John Deere and New Holland high flow machines because they had insufficient cooling capability.

P.Services
11-04-2007, 08:07 PM
then if no one needs them why are they made? because they keep things cooler and they will last longer and run better. every machine doesn't "need" one but they all can benefit from one. i

bobcatboy
11-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I pretty much run the same setup as yellowdog. I had a problem with overheating when running my bull hogg at first but that was due to a pinched hose. Wh have hit old tires tv's car rims and the thing just keeps going.

P.Services
11-04-2007, 09:16 PM
i second that i hit a big truck tire rim with the bull hog and smashed it to pieces!!

YellowDogSVC
11-04-2007, 09:38 PM
i wonder what those coolers do to the hydraulic flow. I would like to see a meter at the couplers with the coolers installed just for curiosity.

bobcatboy
11-04-2007, 09:52 PM
I dont think it effects flow that much, I think its installed on the return side

aliving
11-06-2007, 08:34 PM
The width doesn't have to be as wide as the tracks. The wider the drum, the more hp required because of more teeth. You will be going back and forth like a yo yo anyway. I equate it to like mowing tall grass with a push lawn mower when I was a kid. I would tilt the pushmower up and come down on the tall grass. Basically run the muchers the same way on large stuff. The fecon we run has 50" cutting width but the whole attachment is as wide as the tracked skidsteer. The bradco magmum has 60" cutting width and is as wide as the tracked skidsteer. That being said the fecon is heavier duty or so it seems than the bradco but the bradco will outperform. The response time is nothing on the bradco compared to the fecon.

By the way we run the bradco on a Cat 272C and the fecon on a Mustang 2086.

YellowDogSVC
11-06-2007, 08:41 PM
The width doesn't have to be as wide as the tracks. The wider the drum, the more hp required because of more teeth. You will be going back and forth like a yo yo anyway. I equate it to like mowing tall grass with a push lawn mower when I was a kid. I would tilt the pushmower up and come down on the tall grass. .

Good analysis..

bobcatboy
11-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah I can see how the staggered tooth cutters would be more efficient. The main problem I have is the fecon has a row of teeth evenly across the drum then you have that empty space between the rows and that allows chunks of wood to get jammed in and stall the drum. I have been thinking of demoing the staggered tooth spiral designs to see any difference

YellowDogSVC
11-06-2007, 10:24 PM
bobcatboy, what carrier do you run? I am real happy with the CAT forestry mulcher. It was reasonably priced compared to the FECON and Magnum and is built heavy, heavy, heavy.

bobcatboy
11-07-2007, 08:21 PM
I run a s250 k series gold package radio the works.The machine always feels like I have plenty of power when using my mulcher.

YellowDogSVC
11-07-2007, 08:38 PM
I would check out the CAT mulcher. The only downside is the bobcats don't necessarily come with secondary auxillary hydraulics. I had to upgrade my new k series gold package and it was about 2k but worth it so I can run the trap door on the mulcher.

Digdeep
11-08-2007, 05:07 PM
I was told by my buddy that runs an RC100 with the forestry package and fecon mulcher that ASV just released an exclusive new mulching head in conjunction with Fecon. It has a 110cc two speed drive motor (his normal fecon drive motor is 67cc), 45 tools vs 30 on his head, the head has been "pulled" back towards the machine 6" for better balance, and it has a bigger drum. He's trying to line up a demonstration to compare the difference.

He has also said that in some jobs that he does, the width of the cut doesn't matter, but that in others it is nice to have a wider cut because it saves on the tracks because they don't run over debris or stumps that haven't been mulched.