PDA

View Full Version : Best LV Region

Mike M
11-04-2007, 08:09 AM
I was just wondering which region of North America has the best landscape lighting. By best, I mean an overall reputation for history/pioneering, best practices/methods and materials, and sense of aesthetic design.

My hunch is the southeast? You gotta love those glowing palms and tropicals, and down-lit massive live oaks. Not to mention the deck lights on the docks, the homes with a backyard oasis, swimming pools, etc.

If anyone else has an opinion on this I would appreciate it, but please explain your reasoning, thanks.

Mike

Mike M
11-04-2007, 08:54 AM
I was playing around a little with the souteast thing, but I am wondering if there is a region with a great reputation for outdoor lighting, and what makes it that way (proximity to manufacturers, good distributors, talented designers, successful businesses, upscale markets, etc.).

pete scalia
11-04-2007, 09:11 AM
north east mid atlantic region. Long Island to be specific where Pete Scalia lives. No relation to Jack by the way.

irrig8r
11-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Well, it seems obvious that many of the manufacturers are in Southern California, and so the practice of installing LV lighting has been around longer there than elsewhere.

Of course there are a lot of celebs and others with money that probably have showplace homes, and last but not least, it's where our good friend Mike Gambino does most of his work... :)

It's spread has also been influenced by magazines like Sunset, and I know of a few properties in the more affluent suburbs here in Silicon Valley (some where I've done renovations and upgrades) where Nightscaping systems were installed more than 30 years ago.

But I'm just not sure about other parts of the country....

pete scalia
11-04-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm a bit tired of hearing about this one man band with his instrument out of tune from southern cal and being compared to him. You may not realize but I have much greater depth, poise, grace and personality. Enuff is Enuff .

YardPro
11-04-2007, 05:00 PM
i also think that california would be the spot.
they are big on outdoor living, and areas like orange county have great weather for outdoor living.

don't worry pete, there is NO comparison, you guys are not even playing at the same ballpark.

irrig8r
11-04-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm a bit tired of hearing about this one man band with his instrument out of tune from southern cal and being compared to him. You may not realize but I have much greater depth, poise, grace and personality. Enuff is Enuff .

Pete, mah man, why do you think anyone was comparing anyone else to you?

You are an unparalleled enigma.

:watches from sidelines as moderator whips out copy of Webster's: