PDA

View Full Version : Skidsteer Question

Fianolawn
11-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Do any of you have any seat time in a John Deere 328 Skidsteer. We currently own a Bobcat T-190, and are comtemplating trading it off for the 328. They have a really goo deal on a John Deere 332 CTL, but I don't know if I want to put the money out for the tracks when they go out. The sales rep told me that the tracks last anywhere from 750 hrs to 1250 hrs. He also said that it is about $5500 for a new set of tracks. I just look from the standpoint of how many sets of tires I can buy for one set of tracks. Any feedback?????

bobcat_ron
11-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Go with the tracks, the cost is about the same as 3 new sets of tires and you get way more done with the tracks.
A few words of advice, the T190 is better for track visibility, you can see exactly where the tracks are just by lifting the loader up and looking over the tracks, Deere you can see squat.
Second, Deere claims that their track set up rides smoother, but this is what the inside will look like after 600 hrs regardless of what you run through:

The inside where Deere's idlers run on will wear down to this giving you the chatter and vibration:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures053.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures057-1.jpg

Personally, I hate Deere's skid steers, you can't see the tires/tracks when you are running through tight quarters and one wrong move could cost you a tire/track of some property damage.

Fianolawn
11-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Nobody familiar with the john deere 328???

cat2
11-04-2007, 07:49 PM
I have a 317. What to no anything about that??

Fianolawn
11-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Well the 317 is smaller than what we are going to purchase. I just wanted to see if any 328 owners or users were happy with their unit.

Fieldman12
11-04-2007, 08:12 PM
I have a buddy with a CTL 322 and loves it. He is on his second machine and has good luck. Personally im not saying this because I own a deere skid steer but in my honest opinion they make one of the best CTL's out there. The 328 should be a good machine. It's the large frame machine. I met a guy this summer that had one and he liked it. Deere's can be harder to see around the boom when close up to something but all you have to do is go a tad slower and allow enough room between you and the building with how much the tire takes up. I do it all the time and have not had any problems. Personally I hear guys that run other brands say the Deere's are harder to see to the side but I have set in Bobcat's, Takeuchi, Case, Mustang and so on and they all have a boom to look around in that general area. Like I said judging where you at has to be done with all brands to an extent. I have the 250 Series II and would by another in a heart beat.

Fianolawn
11-04-2007, 08:25 PM
We have a T-190 now, and it's not to bad to replace the tracks. When you move up to the larger machines though it gets verry salty to replace them. The one thing that is interesting about the ct332 is that the dealer has a 06 unit that their trying to get rid of. They have it priced at $41,500. It has everything but a/c. I just don't know if I want to get into a unit that costs so much to get new tracks. That is why I'm considering the 328.

bobcat_ron
11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
One thing to consider is if you do alot of high speed cruising over pavement and hard surfaces with heavy loads, tired skids will always be smoother, even the smoothest tracks can give some bad vibes.

Fianolawn
11-04-2007, 08:38 PM
One of the main times we're on alot of pavement is during the winter. We use an avalanche box with our bobcat. I think that that really eats through tracks. It eats through tires as well , but their a whole lot cheaper to replace.
Just trying to think of all pros & cons. It is going to be hard to go back to tires though.

dozerman21
11-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Go with the tracks, the cost is about the same as 3 new sets of tires and you get way more done with the tracks.
A few words of advice, the T190 is better for track visibility, you can see exactly where the tracks are just by lifting the loader up and looking over the tracks, Deere you can see squat.
Second, Deere claims that their track set up rides smoother, but this is what the inside will look like after 600 hrs regardless of what you run through:

The inside where Deere's idlers run on will wear down to this giving you the chatter and vibration:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures053.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures057-1.jpg

Personally, I hate Deere's skid steers, you can't see the tires/tracks when you are running through tight quarters and one wrong move could cost you a tire/track of some property damage.

Where are you getting your information from? Your entitled to your opinion, but to say all Deere CTL's tracks will look the same after 600 hours is straight ignorant. Mine has 625 hours on it and looks nothing like that. Most of the rigid undercarriages on CTL's are the same, so they will all wear similar... it comes down to the skills and common sense of the operator. I came from a T-300, and the CT332 is in a totally different league. You have less vision on the sides, but you have more to the front and rear, plus you can see the tracks. The Deere's ride IS better than Bobcat's. They use double flanged rollers, and the machine is much better balanced than the T-300 I had. It's not even close.

If someone can't operate without seeing the edge of the tracks, I strongly suggest they stay out of tight spots and let someone else handle it.

bobcat_ron
11-04-2007, 09:21 PM
The new tracks that Deere is using now are different due to the problems I have pictured, they have now switched to Bridgestone apparently, the newer tracks have a completely different pattern to them now, different that the C lug style.

JDSKIDSTEER
11-05-2007, 05:09 AM
The new tracks that Deere is using now are different due to the problems I have pictured, they have now switched to Bridgestone apparently, the newer tracks have a completely different pattern to them now, different that the C lug style.Get your facts streight. They are using the same tracks as always. Bridgestone. I have been selling the Solid Deals for replacement. They both last about the same, but track pattern rides smoother on concrete and asphalt, and our concrete drought hardened ground. The only tracks I see chunking out that early on hours are the customers that never clean their tracks our or run in a lot of rock. I have seen this with T300's also. To answer question about 328. I do not sell many because the 325 does such a great job for the money. Most people wanting larger units go with CT332. The 328's I have sold have never been in the shop for warranty if that says anything for it.

bobcat_ron
11-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Well the only way to sway me toward Deere is:

1) Show me a picture of the tracks that have 1000 hrs, hour meter included.

2)On the same machine, lift the loader up, curl the bucket down so the bottom of the bucket is at a 90 degree angle to the ground and slowly lower the cutting edge down, this will tell me how much the loader has twisted in a 1000 hrs.

Fieldman12
11-05-2007, 06:20 PM
JD is correct the 328 model is not as common but is a good machine.