PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

grasscutter845
11-05-2007, 08:03 PM
I work at a military campus and take care of about 7 athletic fields, from soccer, football, baseball and muli purpose fields. I was wondering when you guys aerate what do you use to pick up the plugs with? We have a Toro rake-o-vac but thatís made for mostly leaves and doesnít do the best job cleaning up the plugs..

turbo5560
11-05-2007, 09:57 PM
sense when do you aerate and pick up the plugs?

Baseballer1100
11-05-2007, 10:33 PM
use a field drag to break them up. no sense in picking up the plugs...

grasscutter845
11-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Im new to this kinda. And my bosses are the kind of people who "know everything" and dont know what they r talking about or doing. So not alot of people pick them up i take it?

beaglegun
11-06-2007, 07:52 PM
I only rake up the plugs if we're going to topdress. If you rake the plugs and topdress sand or soil conditioner you can drag the topdressing back into the holes. If you're aren't going to topdress take a infield mat drag and drag it over the turf. This will pulverize the plugs. The rain will melt away what's left.

indyturf
11-17-2007, 12:17 AM
If the fields are not in use now I wouldn't worry about the plugs, they will break down after a couple good rains. but if the field are being used and you want to break up the plugs you can drag a section of chain link fence with some weight added and it will do the job!

weeble67
11-17-2007, 01:07 AM
I agree, there is no need to pick the plugs up. Let nature break them up and then allow them to dissolve into the ground. If the fields were aerated correctly you'd be pulling a lot of dirt up off the ground if you attempted to remove all the plugs.