PDA

View Full Version : Can I do my own

grassmanak
11-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I have a rather dumb question for you guys, is their by chance a tutorial on blowing out a sprinkler system. Im not looking to get into the irrigation business, would like to just blow out my own. I have a small 5 zone system, with 4-6 heads on a line. I have a small compressor, 30 gallon unit, just wondering if i would be able to fill the compressor tank up and blow out each zone good enough for winter. Any help would be great, is their special fittings i will need?

paolaken
11-06-2007, 01:47 PM
you can blow it out with that but it will just take awhile. you need to shut the air flow off and let the tank build back up. and don't burn up the commpressor.
is the great dane you have for sale a walk behind or a surfer?

dtanovic
11-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Just bought a compressor on the weekend and blew out my system. I bought a craftstman 1.6hp, 6.5cfm @ 40 psi with a 33 gallon tank. If you let your tank recharge between each zone their is plenty of air to blow out one zone completely. Should take you less than an hour.

As far as fittings, mine connects at a hose bib (boiler valve) outside my house (after backflow preventer). If yours is the same you will need to buy a few fittings for the end of you compressor line to hook it to the hose bib. I got the pieces i needed at home depot.

Just make sure you don't do it at a high PSI. Around 80 should be the max but around 40 should be plenty.

And don't blow air in unless one of the valves is open.

Link to a tutorial below.

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/winter.htm

Without A Drought
11-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Just an FYI for you guys. If you are hooking up after any backflow device you will need to drain the device and any exposed piping before it. Hopefully you have a drain, plug, hose bib, etc., between the backflow and the main shutoff. open the first testcock (this is a small valve on the PVB) and the drain by the main shutoff. if you miss this step, the PVB will definitely freeze.

good luck

pg

Mike Leary
11-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Just an FYI for you guys. If you are hooking up after any backflow device you will need to drain the device and any exposed piping before it. Hopefully you have a drain, plug, hose bib, etc., between the backflow and the main shutoff. open the first testcock (this is a small valve on the PVB) and the drain by the main shutoff. if you miss this step, the PVB will definitely freeze.

good luck

pg

Simple bicycle pump drains any backflow assembly..7 psi is all that's needed.

dtanovic
11-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the tips. Am I ok if my backflow preventer is inside - it's a double check valve.

dt

Mike Leary
11-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the tips. Am I ok if my backflow preventer is inside - it's a double check valve.

dt

Prolly just fine, leave the ball valve handles on the DCVA at a 45 degree
angle just for kicks.:)

grassmanak
11-07-2007, 11:44 PM
well i got it done, although i blew the top off one of the heads, i got a book that said 80-90 psi recommended, started there and first head, POP. oh well, its done, took about an hour, thanks for the info

Rainman7
11-08-2007, 06:08 AM
Sounds like it was well worth the couple of buck you saved by not hiring a pro.:confused:

hoskm01
11-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Sounds like it was well worth the couple of buck you saved by not hiring a pro.:confused:
Maybe not this year, but for the next 10, I bet he saves a couple of bucks...

Good learning experience, dont be afraid to take on things on your own. Doing these things for others, a different story.