PDA

View Full Version : Over, overseeded!!

MRGreenstuff
11-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Don't know what to do or how to advise potential costumer about the following problem: Customer calls and says previous lco overseeded fescue lawn with Rye, not what they were instructed to do. He wanted fescue seeded. Lawn looks pretty good however there are some areas that are still thin and other areas that to much seed was broadcast. How do I proceed, do i go ahead and reseed with fescue now, wait until spring or just walk away!
He knows once the temp starts to climb the rye will dye out and his once lush lawn will look like crap!! Thanks for your advise

DiyDave
11-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Powerseed in early spring with fescue, maybe it'll take, if it gets enough water at the proper time.

baddboygeorge
11-06-2007, 11:55 PM
get busy an powerseed it now , see ya george

Two Seasons
11-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Not a good time---you are down to 39 degrees right now---early Spring would be better.

Stillwater
11-07-2007, 03:19 AM
A quality fescue blend like lesco park and athletic is extremely cold hardy and I have had excellent spring results with late late fall seedings. I in fact still have 2 to do. Do a split app. over-seeding now and again in early early spring. What ever you do, do not under any circumstance apply a broad-leaf pre-emergent or any type of herbicide in the spring or your over-seeding will fail outright. (You can apply Drive75 for the crab grass) Your customer needs to understand some weeds will have to be tolerated or he can go to the expense of the laborious task of spot applied herbicide until the grass is established. Be sure to hit it hard "early" with starter fert. Their are many benefits to late fall seeding, But I do not want to start an argument with anybody on this subject so I suggest doing some reading of the recent an latest studies in this area to get a better understanding of it.

DiyDave
11-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Problem with doing it now is that ryegrass releases a natural chemical that inhibits the germination of other grasses, a selective pre-emergent, if you follow. It only releases this compound when it, the ryegrass, is germinating, therefore you would stand a better chance of success, if you wait till spring to do your powerseeding. Good luck, and if you want to look it up, I think the subject is allelopathy(sp ?)

Stillwater
11-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Problem with doing it now is that ryegrass releases a natural chemical that inhibits the germination of other grasses, a selective pre-emergent, if you follow. It only releases this compound when it, the ryegrass, is germinating, therefore you would stand a better chance of success, if you wait till spring to do your powerseeding. Good luck, and if you want to look it up, I think the subject is allelopathy(sp ?)

This is only a issue with Wheat varieties of rye. Not engineered turf type grass blends. Otherwise you would never see it in grass blend mixes sold world wide. On the label of every bag of grass sold in America their is a tag identifying the grass blend, check the tag for the section called noxious seed %

baddboygeorge
11-07-2007, 08:04 PM
I glad to see someone knows there ****! I love fall seeding an late fall , I go up to thanksgiving with primo results . I use a triple blend which contains , millenium 2nd edition, bonsai 2000 an rembrandt. have fun an get to seeding George

DiyDave
11-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Now would be a good time to research the subject I mentioned in earlier post. While there is a lot of material that says what eshkis referred to about wheat there is also evidence to support what I said about it affecting fescue germination. Back when I went through the U of MD, the rule was not to use ryegrass in a mixture, at least not over 10 % of the total. I am not sure about how long this allelopathy lasts, but if you do a google search using the words allelopathy, ryegrass, you will see that there is some evidence that it does affect seed germination of other species of grass. The evidence seems to show that if you scalp the ryegrass before seeding, or spray it with roundup prior to seeding, your chances of success go up. Hope this helps. Do your own research, make your own choices.

Stillwater
11-08-2007, 12:25 AM
DiyDave, I am kind of curiously surprised do you really have a issue with this in residential turf in MD.?

Stillwater
11-08-2007, 12:33 AM
I glad to see someone knows there ****! I love fall seeding an late fall , I go up to thanksgiving with primo results . I use a triple blend which contains , millenium 2nd edition, bonsai 2000 an rembrandt. have fun an get to seeding George

Nice blend, you must have killer looking lawn.

DiyDave
11-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Eshkis- the short answer is that MD is a transition zone state- too cold for warm season and too hot for cool season grass. We call ryegrass lawns builder's specials- they plant it in the fall and it looks great till about May 30, then we inherit the mess and try to educate the customer.