PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite machine

kreft
11-06-2007, 07:48 PM
What is your favorite peice of equipment, and why?

Mine would have to be the excavator becuase you got multiple contols to use at the same time.

How about you guys?

SiteSolutions
11-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Biggest Ex I ever ran was a Hitachi 330. I liked it a lot, sitting up 20 something feet in the air, pulling out giant chunks of the earth and swinging around to lay it out gingerly in the bed of waiting tri-axles... probably would have gotten old after awhile.

Liked the big articulated 6x6 dumps, too.

Drove a Kenworth tri-axle for a little while, with a b@lls-out Cat (475? It had guts!) under the hood and a 10 speed... that thing would haul @55 and anything you could fit in the bed at the same time.

The machine I enjoy operating the most right now is my own, because (theoretically) it is making money.

YellowDogSVC
11-06-2007, 08:44 PM
If I could afford one, the blade runner would be my favorite machine. :) right now my favorite is my Bobcat s300 because it's my jack of all trades type machine. A close 2nd is the toolcat but I haven't found as many uses for it off the ranch.
I like my chipper but would prefer to have a dependable operator to baby it. Haven't found anyone who can operate the loader, however, and keep an eye on guages and do maintenance but that's for another thread.

P.Services
11-06-2007, 08:46 PM
whats a blade runner?

SiteSolutions
11-06-2007, 08:50 PM
I think he is talking about a Kobelco "Exca-Dozer", a full-sized excavator with a beefed up undercarriage and a big honkin blade on it.

bobcat_ron
11-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Personally it was a Volvo 180 Rubber tired excavator, it was the best machine I've ever used, 3 months of ditch cleaning and general excavation work and every time I used it, I got to drive it right from home to work and back home again.
Nothing like the feeling of a 20 ton excavator cruising through the Fraser Valley at 40 km/h, nothing better.

Here's what I'm talking about:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Volvo01.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Volvo02.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Volvo03.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Volvo04.jpg
That VA (Variable Angle) was a little tricky to figure out at first, but man what an asset to use when working under power lines and near walls!

Fieldman12
11-06-2007, 08:51 PM
My favorite is running a dozer. I think my second choice would be operating a track hoe. I have never got the chance to run one yet but have been around them a good bit. Maybe sometime soon. I like running my skid steer also. Now that I think about it anything that is heavy equipment I love to run. Maybe except a roller. :)

RockSet N' Grade
11-06-2007, 08:53 PM
My favorite piece of equipment is my cooler. As far as iron goes, I love an excavator......they seem to offer a great variety of tasks they can do and they are pretty easy on the body.

YellowDogSVC
11-06-2007, 08:53 PM
I think he is talking about a Kobelco "Exca-Dozer", a full-sized excavator with a beefed up undercarriage and a big honkin blade on it.

Here's a link: http://links.kobelcoamerica.com/news1.asp?newsID=87

P.Services
11-06-2007, 08:54 PM

oh i see, i remember seeing the ad for them now.

bobcat_ron
11-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Useless machines those pesky Blade runners, twice as heavy as a conventional D-6 and twice as high and twice as slow.

Fieldman12
11-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Reason I like a dozer I guess is because I like making the ground smooth. As for the excavator I just like the way they dig and swing I guess. It must be how they dance. LOL

Fieldman12
11-06-2007, 09:00 PM
I always wondered how easy it would be to grade with these blade runners. To me they would be great to backfill but as far as any other type of work like grading I think the Boom would be in the way all the time.

SiteSolutions
11-06-2007, 09:06 PM
I always wondered how easy it would be to grade with these blade runners. To me they would be great to backfill but as far as any other type of work like grading I think the Boom would be in the way all the time.

I've seen a guy grade out a small driveway with a little yanmar mini-ex... pretty funny looking, both the act and the finished product. Still, if I had an excavator, I would rather have the blade than not have it.

Fieldman12
11-06-2007, 09:15 PM
SiteSolutions, I agree with you about rather having an excavator with a blade than without one. I have heard of guys putting drive ways in with them before. Like you said about them looking funny both the act and the finished product. Just does not look like the correct tool for the job to me. Then again I have not always had the correct tool for a job and still dont have all the tools I need.

ksss
11-06-2007, 09:17 PM
I have yet to speak to a Blade Runner owner that was not happy with it. I had talked myself into one and had even gone to a Ritchie Bros sale in South Dakota to buy one last year. The resale on them is unreal. This machine had about 500 hours on it and went for around 120K. I ended up with a great deal on a 160 but I would take a Blade runner in a heart beat. They are not made to be a production dozer but rather to accent an excavator. They do very well at that.

Fieldman12
11-06-2007, 09:22 PM
I can see used for the blade that is no doubt. Just from what I hear it sonds like more and more people are trying to use them as a dozer.

Fieldman12
11-06-2007, 09:24 PM
I can see a use for the blade that is no doubt. Just from what I hear it sounds like more and more people are trying to use them as a dozer. I hit that enter key way to quick. I do that allot before I proof read.

P.Services
11-06-2007, 09:25 PM
i want to run a fecon ftx 440

iluvscag
11-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Famil Farmer here so John Deere 9420s 84 and 8320s 7810, 3 9660 combine Kenworth T-800B with Timpte Hopper Bottoms pretty much every day is an adventure.

cat2
11-06-2007, 10:00 PM
For me I would have to go with the skid steer, because of its size and what you can do with them. And all the different attachments you can get.

Dirt Digger2
11-06-2007, 11:41 PM
i love out Cat 943...small, nimble, strong and just fun to operate

but if it came right down to it i am going to have to say our Case 580 Super M's with the 4 stick controls...like the feel, like the cab design, the power can't be beat...overall a great machine

oh, and we don't own one but probably the nicest machine i have ever run for a few days has been a Cat D5 with Hystat and only 300 hours!...wow, i was impressed

tallrick
11-07-2007, 12:12 AM
My favorite is a track loader, the real ones! Nice Cat 955 or equivalent. Older machines with pedal steer, you can do almost anything with a track loader with clamshell bucket. Second would be a dozer, pushing or pulling. I also like skid steers, but lately the only one I have been running is my own, the old 610. I can't wait to move to a rural area, I will definately get a track loader for home use.

Scag48
11-07-2007, 12:54 AM
I really miss the 312C we had. I'm best at running excavators, I have the most hours doing that, but want to get more time on dozers doing finish work. I'm pretty good with a skid steer as well, almost 1,000 hours in a few different skids has given me a pretty good ability to cleanly grade just about anything. I have a good eye at checking grade, I think I could put that to use on a finish crew. But, I don't mind hogging dirt with an excavator for foundations with the tunes blaring, doing utility work doesn't bother me, and pulling out orchard I've gotten pretty good at. It's not complicated work, but there's a lot of technique that goes into removing thousands of trees as fast as you can. How to stack the piles, where to stack them, how to burn a pile and keep it burning so hot you can throw just about anything in it, how to take 3 or 4 rows at a time, how to pull the trees cleanly leaving minimal roots and not breaking branches off that have to be picked up later, it's quite a technique game. I've done over 130 acres of orchard clearing, every single one of them was different. I really enjoy working steep slopes, I really don't know why. Maybe for the adrenaline, I don't know, but I guess I have an addiction with putting excavators on 1.5:1 slopes.

SiteSolutions
11-07-2007, 06:38 AM
i want to run a fecon ftx 440

Yeah, I would love to sit in a serious mulcher for a day, maybe a GT-50.

SiteSolutions
11-07-2007, 06:39 AM
My favorite is a track loader, the real ones! Nice Cat 955 or equivalent. Older machines with pedal steer, you can do almost anything with a track loader with clamshell bucket. Second would be a dozer, pushing or pulling. I also like skid steers, but lately the only one I have been running is my own, the old 610. I can't wait to move to a rural area, I will definately get a track loader for home use.

I like a good track loader but I can't run the old pedal machines anymore. My knees ache so bad stomping those things all day, I can barely hobble to the car at the end of the day.

Dirt Digger2
11-07-2007, 08:09 AM
My favorite is a track loader, the real ones! Nice Cat 955 or equivalent.

ha yea we have one of those too...only problem is that your ears ring by the end of the day and it burns 50 gallons of fuel in 8 hours...but man she sure is strong