PDA

View Full Version : Steel Toed Boots?

RockSet N' Grade
11-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Advantages? Disadvantages? How many of you guys wear them? After today, I am considering options.......a medium sized rock slab decided to land edge first on my big toe/right foot. Orthopedic Doctor time tomorrow........and here I thought tylenol would make it all go away.......wrong again. From the looks of it right now, I may not have toeven consider traditional shoes.....wife thinks it may be plaster time!

dozerman21
11-06-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't like them. Obviosly, they serve an important service and some places require them, but I don't wear them. I think boots are one of those things you shouldn't skimp on. Buy a quality name brand boot that laces up a little bit so when you step on a dirt clog you don't roll your ankle!:hammerhead:

A lot of guys like Red Wings. I wear Timberland Pro waterproof boots. I get almost a year out of them before they start to wear or leak... and I walk them through everything. They break in pretty quick and become real comfortable, especially if you put some of those Dr. Shoells (sp?) footliner things in.

On the steel toed, I think they're uncomfortable and they steel toe gets real cold in the winter... it's like a little ice pack in there!

Dirt Digger2
11-06-2007, 11:39 PM
RED WINGS!!! i love them, they are not too good for shovel work because of the soft sole on them but since we operate equipment we don't have to worry about it...haha...but i wear steel toes, i figure its well worth it, a little extra precaution can save you a whole lot of pain..they are super comfortable, if they weren't so hot i would wear them a lot more then my sneakers when i am not working

i believe mine were $150 and they came with a 1yr warranty

Scag48
11-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Well, most guys say what I wear is overkill, but I have a pair of White's Smokejumpers. 10" lace up, basically a logger/wildland firefighter boot. Most comfortable pair of boots I've ever had given that I put the right sock on, the wrong sock will totally ruin the feel due to that stupid stictching at the toe. The arch support is unmatched, you feel like you can stomp on anything. I almost broke my ankle once jumping off a trailer wearing 6" lace up boots, never again. I'm a big guy, I need lots of ankle support and this is the boot. Better than Danner by a long shot, they'll last forever as you can have them rebuilt over and over. They're not cheap, this pair was $400, but they're one hell of a boot. As far as getting steel toe, I didn't, don't like them. They get cold, they're heavier, not a fan. White's offers a celastic toe, that's what I'd get if I was looking for toe protection. Not as heavy as steel and doesn't get cold.

Here's a pic of them right after I got them home.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/whitesresize.jpg

ksss
11-07-2007, 12:44 AM
I wear steel toed boots. They are actually a logging type boot that has steel running up the front as well as in the heel and toe. They are Matterhorns. The boot is ugly but comfortable and very safe I think.

Gravel Rat
11-07-2007, 02:51 AM
I have about 3 different pairs of steel toed shoes for different jobs. I have a pair of Vibergs I use for working running excavator they are similar to Scag's boots they are hand made and expensive but I get 4-5 years out of them. The current pair I have now are 6 years old now I will probably get another 2 years. My previous pair I got 4 years out of them and I wore those almost everyday. The pair I wear the most is romeo slip on they are common boot worn by people in the marine industry because if you fall in the water they are easy to kick off and don't drown you.

I also have a pair of Blundstone Romeo they are good but the sole wears out quick I still wear them thou.

At my gov't job I have a pair of Cat boots I never had much success with Cat footwear they seem to wear out quick. I barely get a year out of Cat boots.

The boots that I can wear all day are the Vibergs they are worth the 400 dollars the 200 dollar boots don't last.

I'am so used to wearing steel toed boots they don't bother me. The one pair of Romeo slip ons I wear most of the time they are steel toed. When I'am working I don't wear anything but steel toed boots. Its too easy to injure your foot wearing soft toed shoes.

SiteSolutions
11-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Steel does weigh a lot but I am saving up for some quality, comfortable boots with steel in the toe and more important for me, steel in the bottom. I stepped on a nail this summer and it went right through the shoes I was wearing at the time. I could feel it poking my foot but luckily it didn't break the skin. Tetanus shots suck.

Besides, after a little time, you calf muscles will get bigger and you won't feel the extra weight.

cat2
11-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Myself I don't like steel toed boots

bobcat_ron
11-07-2007, 06:40 PM
My CAT boots are still going strong after 2 years of every day use.

DBL
11-07-2007, 07:51 PM
all for steel toe here get a little cold in the winter but well worth the money and getting water proof ones are even better

milsaps118
11-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I wear the Danner Radical 452 here's the link http://www.danner.com/category/work+boots/protective+toe.do?page=3 best pair of steel toe boots I have owned. Very light weight and water proof, they feel like normal shoes. I can go all day wearing these and my feet stay dry and don't get soar. Check 'em out, I bought mine at Cabela's for around $135.00.

RockSet N' Grade
11-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Well, I think that when I can wear shoes again, I am gonna try a pair of steel toe boots. Little late this go 'round......busted big toe, no surgery needed, but the Doc says no work for a couple weeks.......

AbsoluteH&L
11-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Ask your self this. How bad did it hurt when you crushed your toe? Yah! thats what I thought! Get a pair of steel toes. I have 2 pair of steel toes & 2 non steel. Steels get cold yes, but for me up here it's snow plow season soon, and I won't need them as much.

AbsoluteH&L
11-07-2007, 08:33 PM
A little late yes, but a lot of us have likely learned from our mistakes. I for one rolled a huge stump on to my toe while working on fire wood. As luck would have it I was going to the races for a long weekend the next day. You know, walking all over the freakin place the whole weekend. Yeah! LOTS of advil to get through that, and maybe a few beers!:drinkup:

deere615
11-07-2007, 08:34 PM
I wear Iron age when I am doing construction they are great boots, saved me from a little pain a few times.

qps
11-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Ask your self this. How bad did it hurt when you crushed your toe? Yah! thats what I thought! Get a pair of steel toes. I have 2 pair of steel toes & 2 non steel. Steels get cold yes, but for me up here it's snow plow season soon, and I won't need them as much.

ever drop a plow on your toe:cry:

RockSet N' Grade
11-08-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. I had always been leery of steel toed boots for fear of them crushing down on your feet and not being able to get out.

Gravel Rat
11-08-2007, 02:47 AM
If you watched the Myth Busters show when they did tests on steel toed boots they are still better than not having steel toes. Nothing beats knowing where your feet are and trying to keep them out of the way of anything falling on them.

DBL
11-08-2007, 05:44 PM
If you watched the Myth Busters show when they did tests on steel toed boots they are still better than not having steel toes. Nothing beats knowing where your feet are and trying to keep them out of the way of anything falling on them.

i knew someone was going to bring that up and the tests they did really convinced me

Lazer_Z
11-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Scag48, Does the maker of your boots have a website? If so, could you please PM me the info. Thanks.

I've gone through my fair share of boots, I'm currently wearing a pair of "WORX" by Red Wing, 8" cut w/steel toe and zip up sides. I was in the market for a new pair of boots when I found these as my Lawn Grips had seen better days, they were on sale due to a Grand Opening of a Red Wing store near me and I got them for under $100.00 I like them, but they will need to be put as a back up pair soon. I was thinking of going back to Lawn Grips, but I'm not sure yet.

Fieldman12
11-08-2007, 07:20 PM
I break all the rules!!! I have wore tennis shoes for just about every job all my life except when I was a machinist. I just love the way they feel. I know they are by no means safe for me. I have been thinking about swiching. I did buy me a good pair of boots a few years ago. I just cannot get use to working in them. Dont get me wrong I have wore them some in my life but not near as much as tennis shoes. I have wore steel toes and regular boots such as Cat boots.

deere615
11-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I wear boots way more than I wear tennis shoes. Any time I am working I wear boots, Just me but I think it looks a little more professional. I don't usually find boots uncomfortable.

Fieldman12
11-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Yeah, they are much more professional.

Gravel Rat
11-08-2007, 09:03 PM
In B.C. we have a gov't body that checks on and deals with job safety called WCB they can come to your jobsite and your not wearing the proper safety gear they can shut your job down. Some of the safety stuff can be a little much your wearing so much safety gear that you can barely move.

Wearing steel toed shoes is a easy thing to do its far cheaper than getting a safety violation fine.

You can get composite toed boots and shoes that are light enough that you wouldn't really notice them.

If your in the excavating or related industries you should be wearing steel toed boots. I can't see wearing a pair of runners doing so well in the dirt and mud unless you like to be uncomfortable.

RockSet N' Grade
11-09-2007, 10:10 AM
I would suggest (from my current personal adventure) that steel toed boots are relatively inexpensive vs. breaking a foot/toe and being not able to work.......or, to add on top of that, the cost in time and money, of visiting your local orthopedic surgeon. I have been a boot enthusiast, yet never a steel toed enthusiast, at this point......the couple hundred bucks for a pair of good steel toed, in hindsight, is painfully inexpensive.........unless you find enjoyment in watching your toe go from normal sized to the width of a big bananna in a matter of minutes/hours.......

bobcat_ron
11-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Not wearing Steel Toed boots is as dumb as not wearing a seat belt while driving down the highway.

Fieldman12
11-09-2007, 05:38 PM
I hate seat belts but do wear them at times.

Gravel Rat
11-09-2007, 07:40 PM
I was the same with seat belts till I almost got a fine the cop let me go.

I still can see how anybody can risk wearing running shoes when working in the excavating business.

I know I have gotten lectured on not wearing my brain bucket (hard hat) that is something I can't get used to wearing :laugh:

deere615
11-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Not to jack this thread but I wear my seatbelt because I don't want to be in a hospital bed with a bunch of tubes coming out of me.

RockSet N' Grade
11-12-2007, 08:53 PM
So, I got a pair of steel toed boots.......now I can wear a steel toed on my good foot and have my blue orthopedic slipper on the wounded appendage......I bet it looks kinda funny. I chose the Danner boots and they fit like a glove and seem to be of quality.....

Lazer_Z
11-12-2007, 10:32 PM
RockSet, You must look awfully funny walking around like that. Seriously, I wish you a speedy recovery and congrats on the new boots.

YellowDogSVC
11-12-2007, 11:25 PM
I wear work rated tennis/hiker style but I am in and out of a cab alot and/or standing all day at the chipper controls. they aren't tennis and they aren't hikers but they're low cut lace up and have no slip sole. I also wear shorts 80% of the year (will even wear saw chaps over shorts). I grew in the deep south and have done everything in shorts for as long as I can remember. I tried steel toed boots a few times. Not comfy for my size 12 EEs.

ksss
11-12-2007, 11:55 PM
I wear work rated tennis/hiker style but I am in and out of a cab alot and/or standing all day at the chipper controls. they aren't tennis and they aren't hikers but they're low cut lace up and have no slip sole. I also wear shorts 80% of the year (will even wear saw chaps over shorts). I grew in the deep south and have done everything in shorts for as long as I can remember. I tried steel toed boots a few times. Not comfy for my size 12 EEs.

I think we found Bigfoot. My god man they must be as wide as they are long.

Scag48
11-13-2007, 04:31 AM
Just an FYI for those who have real leather boots and want to protect them, here's what I've been using for boot grease and I will not use anything else. Bar none the best boot grease on the planet, by far.

http://www.obenaufs.com/

If you read on their site, it explains that the product was developed by a wildland firefighter looking for a better solution. Most boot treatments seal the boot up using silicone agents not allowing them to breathe very well. Totally waterproof, but the leather doesn't hold up over time and your feet will burn up in the summer even in a pair of non-insulated boots. I've been using Obenauf's for 4 months now on my Whites, worked in 75 degree temperatures and my feet never got hot once. This grease makes the boot fairly water resistant, not water proof, but you can tramp around in some puddles and not get wet inside. I've used Sno-Seal on my cheap boots before with good waterproofing results, but my feet would sweat so badly during the summer because of the silicone content not allowing the leather to breathe. Plus, the silicone doesn't allow the leather to retain any oils whatsoever, so the leather dries out, much like human skin. On a pair of $400 boots, I want them to last as long as I can and I have no doubt that with regular treatment I can get years of life out of them. After 500 hours of wearing the boots, they still look brand new. Sorry for the long post, but if anyone is looking for top notch boot grease, I strongly recommend Obenauf's.

YellowDogSVC
11-13-2007, 08:44 AM
I think we found Bigfoot. My god man they must be as wide as they are long.

nah, they ain't that big but my brother and i hover between e and ee. Flatfooted block feet. Good for kicking the mule.

tallrick
11-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Imagine my problem finding size 16 boots? I have used steel toe boots for some jobs, but I remember the experience of someone who had his foot run over and the steel toe made it more difficult to remove the boot and he ended up with a bad foot injury from the time it took to cut open the boot. I never saw the advantage of steel toe for landscaping unless you are setting bricks or rocks and something can fall on your foot. In the hot sun boots can become very uncomfortable, so it's very tempting to get the sneakers. On dirt I have found cleats to be a comfortable compromise. For working on equipment I do wear steel toe boots when possible.

RockSet N' Grade
11-13-2007, 11:58 AM
YellowDog....I went with Danner, as I said. I am only about 5'9" but have 101/2 EE duck feet. I get most of my boots/shoes custom made from a chap down in Texas. These Danners fit nice (at least on one foot). I mail ordered and figured if I didn't like them, just send them back..........I was skeptical, but these are keepers.

YellowDogSVC
11-13-2007, 08:03 PM
YellowDog....I went with Danner, as I said. I am only about 5'9" but have 101/2 EE duck feet. I get most of my boots/shoes custom made from a chap down in Texas. These Danners fit nice (at least on one foot). I mail ordered and figured if I didn't like them, just send them back..........I was skeptical, but these are keepers.

It's like having human snowshoes.

YellowDogSVC
11-13-2007, 08:04 PM
We aren't going to start posting feet pictures are we? :)

milsaps118
11-13-2007, 08:09 PM
So, I got a pair of steel toed boots.......now I can wear a steel toed on my good foot and have my blue orthopedic slipper on the wounded appendage......I bet it looks kinda funny. I chose the Danner boots and they fit like a glove and seem to be of quality.....

Which Danners did U get?

RockSet N' Grade
11-13-2007, 09:34 PM
I got the Danner Instigator GTX 6" Steel Toed units.