PDA

View Full Version : mini wall washer

Mike M
11-07-2007, 06:14 AM
I just got the (can't mention manufacturer's name) mini wall washer, cool as (heck).

Question: when mounting against siding, the lens is flattish against the sky. Does anyone recommend application of grease/silicone on the rubber gaskets which hold the removable lens?

This brings up another q for me. On my manufacturer's (name withheld)instructions, it mentions the old: don't touch bulb or oil from fingers may shorten lamp life. Is it possible that the grease we apply to the bulb base could be making the bulb retain more heat and thereby shortening bulb life?

I used a product on a bulb base recently which darkened like burning olive oil and I experienced a short-lived bulb. This all has me wondering if I should only grease the o-rings on fixture housings and nothing else.

Mike

Pro-Scapes
11-07-2007, 09:17 AM
dont be rediculous... if we cant discuss specifics how are we all supposed to be on the same page. Your either speaking of the stellar or the nightscaping one. Send us a pic of how you mounted it. If its the stellar (joey and nate are sponsors so we can yap about thier product) I know the lens sits in there under the lip. I cant recall if there is a drain hole in the back of the fixture or not. I dont like water sitting atop my fixtures period. Not just the water will sit but also debris and dirt (hello asphalt running off your roofs)

JoeyD
11-07-2007, 10:23 AM
You can yap about all products! Thats why this forum is here.

I dont think it is a Stellar becuase I believe we are pretty clear that it is ok to handle the Xelogen lmaps we include in our fixtures.

Mike M
11-07-2007, 11:48 AM
I dont like water sitting atop my fixtures period. Not just the water will sit but also debris and dirt (hello asphalt running off your roofs)

Good point, which is why James mentioned the snow problem too if there is no angle. I only need to play with the location by hand and see if a slight angle will suffice. Otherwise I'll consider the mount on the shingles or maybe only when there is an available gutter.

Mainly, I'm wondering if it's also good practice with these fixtures that have removable lenses to surround the lense with grease.

On a side note, I'm also wondering if grease is bad touching the lamp near the base.

Mike

Pro-Scapes
11-07-2007, 12:09 PM
I dont like water sitting atop my fixtures period. Not just the water will sit but also debris and dirt (hello asphalt running off your roofs)

Good point, which is why James mentioned the snow problem too if there is no angle. I only need to play with the location by hand and see if a slight angle will suffice. Otherwise I'll consider the mount on the shingles or maybe only when there is an available gutter.

Mainly, I'm wondering if it's also good practice with these fixtures that have removable lenses to surround the lense with grease.

On a side note, I'm also wondering if grease is bad touching the lamp near the base.

Mike

grease touching the lamp is bad in my opinion. Lamps get hot...if oil from your fingers can cook a lamp prematurely whats a spooge of grease going to do ? Its the deep fry effect.

Show us a pic and I bet we can come up with 2 more places to mount your fixture. Your lighting gables ? Why not using something small like a white nightscaping downlight or a kichler one colored to match the home or even a cast nich light... I wouldnt mount any of small wallwashers I have seen flat unless they were protected like under a soffit or such.

JoeyD
11-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Grease touching the base of the lamp should not affect the lamp as long as it is a di electric silicone based grease that will not harden or cook at high temps. I know this to be true with our lamps but maybe the others lamps are more sensative, not sure. As far as greasing the lenses I do not think this is neccesary. I am speaking from a Stellar standpoint, you should never need to grease the gasket as it should never stick or harden to the brass body. We pre grease the sockets from the factory, grease anywhere else on the Stellar is not needed.

As far as anyone elses wall wash I do not think they grease the sockets and I do not know how there lenses are sealed. Our lenses have a wrap around gasket that is damn near impossible to penetrate once pressed into the body. Thats why it's life time baby!!!!

Joey D.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-07-2007, 05:17 PM
I just got the (can't mention manufacturer's name) mini wall washer, cool as (heck).

Question: when mounting against siding, the lens is flattish against the sky. Does anyone recommend application of grease/silicone on the rubber gaskets which hold the removable lens? I havent had any problems with moisture entering this fixture (Nightscaping Mini Wash Liter) yet. I have installed a bunch of them aimed almost vertical for soft uplighting of retaining walls and gardens. No issues so far.

This brings up another q for me. On my manufacturer's (name withheld)instructions, it mentions the old: don't touch bulb or oil from fingers may shorten lamp life. (I think this only applies to the Halogen Lamps not the Xenon lamps.... Check to see what lamp comes with your fixtures. I wouldnt want the 20W halogen bi pin inside the miniwash liter as it would be too hot. Sitck with the xenon here.) Is it possible that the grease we apply to the bulb base could be making the bulb retain more heat and thereby shortening bulb life?

I used a product on a bulb base recently which darkened like burning olive oil and I experienced a short-lived bulb. This all has me wondering if I should only grease the o-rings on fixture housings and nothing else.

Mike

Have a great day.

Mike M
11-07-2007, 08:26 PM
I'll put them on my own house and see how they do. I might eventually use them for demo's, maybe attach clamps so I can try various positions until I get it figured out under varied circumstances.

Mike M
11-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Here's a pic in daylight, I really don't need the area above the porch roof lit, but I wanted to practice this kind of placement.

I'll send the night version of this as soon as it gets dark.

Pro-Scapes
11-09-2007, 08:12 PM
also when your making your pics smaller to post dont go so small. I find 6-700 wide work well for horizontal shots like yours. I use photoshop to resize and then after i resize(be sure to contrain proportions when you do) I click file then save for web and it compresses it very well.

Below is an example of 600 x 399 compressed. I made sure the box was checked to maintain the aspect ratio when I resized. Alot easier to see.

On another note I would think lighting your home and doing nice signs out front for a month should lead to some nice smaller systems in your nieghborhood.

Mike M
11-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Billy, how would you light above the porch roof? I'm gonn take a pic now that it's dark. I'll try a better ratio.

ChampionLS
11-10-2007, 01:17 AM
We use NYK Anti Corrosive compound. It's not a grease. It has no grease in it. It will protect sockets and receptacles from corrosion and seal out moisture. We use it on every single contact point. It's made by brand X.

Hey Billy,

800x600 is a good size for posting. If the choice is there.. 72dpi for web, 100 dpi for printing, 300 dpi for professional reproduction.

Pro-Scapes
11-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Billy, how would you light above the porch roof? I'm gonn take a pic now that it's dark. I'll try a better ratio.

I been dying to try out the sofitliters... might be a good choice there if your crazy enough to cut your house yet.

Not so sure I like the idea of stellars mounted to the facia boards... would be pretty visable during the day... you could also mount the lights to the wall under the window as well... who says they gotta be mounted to the roof. I do beilive chris mitchell and his dad have some excellent examples of this perhaps on their website as well.