PDA

View Full Version : cameras update

Mike M
11-07-2007, 12:02 PM
I was putting off buying a camera for expense reasons, but I can't imagine holding off making post cards, webpages, etc.

The Nikon 40 is available with 10 megapixels now. Anyone got one and like it? Or can anyone refer me to a good deal around $600+?

Thanks,

MIke

Pro-Scapes
11-07-2007, 12:11 PM
still love our pentax istdl... the k100d is the newer one and is avalible for less... I seen the camera your talking about for around 5 bones from either sams or walmart.

I still plan to get a much higher end camera one day such as the canon or something.

irrig8r
11-07-2007, 01:09 PM
I have a Nikon, but a few friends of mine swear by Canon.
That includes James here.

http://www.printroom.com/ghome.asp?domain_name=integraworks

Mike M
11-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Yikes, just got rates for the yellow pages. Won't need a camera for that ad. But I will need one to do the direct mail idea.

I just want to make sure the camera has plenty of manual settings for night shots. There are a few nice camera's in the entry level with 10 megapixels and nice lenses.

I was at Starbucks yesterday staring at the beautiful packaging of their coffee, realizing how important visual is for food, and it really hit me how important it is for me to get nice pic's. They hit you with taste, smell, strong visuals, and they even have a starbucks satelite radio music program. The least I can do is work on great visuals for a website, portfolio, post cards, etc. Hey, and if I do a trade show this year, I'll serve free Starbucks coffee and play acustic CD's. hmmm.

NightScenes
11-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I like my Canon EOS Rebel XT. I think they are down to about $600 now.

Greg_B
11-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Dell has the Nikon D40 for $540:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A1116228&cs=19&c=us&l=en

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-07-2007, 05:07 PM
I like my Canon EOS Rebel XT. I think they are down to about $600 now.

You will not go wrong with this camera and all of its accessories. For a bit more, upgrade to the image stabilized lens.

If you want to get one step better, look to the Canon EOS 40D rig. I have the older version and swear by it.

Mike M
11-07-2007, 07:14 PM
The Canon Rebel xti 10 megapix w/lens is only 647.00 new (lists for 1,400 I think) at Amazon right now. Was able to find similar prices for Nikon 40 w/10 megapix & lens.

I like both, thanks for the recommendations. Can anyone with knowledge of both models tell me if one seems much better than the other??

I may go with you guys on Canon.

bmwsmity
11-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Yikes, just got rates for the yellow pages. Won't need a camera for that ad.

not to wander off topic, but i'd steer clear of doing anything much with the yellow pages. little results for way too much money from what i've seen so far.

irrig8r
11-07-2007, 07:44 PM
not to wander off topic, but i'd steer clear of doing anything much with the yellow pages. little results for way too much money from what i've seen so far.

I agree. A simple column listing makes you look more reputable to most folks. A display ad attracts shoppers. What you want in the long run is more word of mouth, less out of pocket.

Mike M
11-07-2007, 08:22 PM
i'd steer clear of doing anything much with the yellow pages

You got that right, thanks.

Lite4
11-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Mike,
I own the Nikon D40x. It has been a great camera for me. It does all the manual settings, raw imagery, etc.. If you settle on the Nikon be sure to get the x model in the D40. The standard 40 will not let interchange as many lense types as the x variation. I have a friend woh has the canon eos rebel. It is a fine camera too. I think you will be happy with either. Look for a package deal with additional lenses, you will get a better buy.

Pro-Scapes
11-08-2007, 12:02 AM
pricegrabber.com and slickdeals.net are always excellent places to find the best deals online. Sometimes they come up with stackable coupons to save you some cash that can be used elsewhere. I got our dell XPS desktop which was listed on dell for 1800 for somewhere around 1100 delivered thanks to some stackable coupons we found on slickdeals last year

Mike M
11-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks Billy,

Using pricegrabber I found the newer Nikon 40 w/10 megapix for 619 with free ship and a bonus memory card. Hard to decide between that and the compatible Canon.

I have no other lenses, etc. When it's time to ugrade, I'll give this one to my wife and spend the bucks on a whole new camera package.

I'll start planning a direct-mail piece now.

Mike

JoeyD
11-08-2007, 07:32 PM
This was emailed to me today from costco!!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11208748&cm_mmc=BCEmail_243-_-Focus-_-14-_-NikonD40_BCEmail_243

Chris J
11-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Joey, what was that camera that all of the Unique sales guys have?

JoeyD
11-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Some have that Nikon 40 while the others have either Nikon Coolpix 5400 or 5700. I would need to check out to see if Nate and Ethan (Our photographer/creative director) what new cameras they might be using.

Chris J
11-08-2007, 10:55 PM
You made a post a while back about the camera that you use and said that Nate bought one for the entire crew (or something like that). You said it took really great shots, and posted some great examples. What camera was that.

Mike M
11-09-2007, 08:17 AM
This was emailed to me today from costco!!

Thanks, Joey. The 10 mega version was only one bone more at buydig.com. I got such a deal, I spent 25 clams for over-nighting and it should be here today. This is the second day in a row I awoke to frost, and I want to have the seasonal color alive around my own house for pics.

Pricegrabber is awesome, especially when you're down on body parts and fish.

Mike

JoeyD
11-09-2007, 10:55 AM
You made a post a while back about the camera that you use and said that Nate bought one for the entire crew (or something like that). You said it took really great shots, and posted some great examples. What camera was that.

Those are the Nikon Coolpix 5400 and 5700 Chris! Since then a few of the guys have got new camera's but the camera I was reffering to then and what I have to use are the coolpix 5700.

Nate buys a new camera once a month it seems like. The 5700 was a hand me down from him about a year ago. I love the camera. It has a night time setting for taking pictures that I have never had to play with. It is point and shoot and is dialed in! I dont know half as much aabout cameras as some of you do here so I could not tell you much more about the settings.

irrig8r
11-09-2007, 01:21 PM
I got my Coolpix 8400 two years ago, when I didn't have the spare cash to spring for an SLR. The flip out and twist LCD monitor comes in handy sometimes.

Here's a comparison of the 8400 and the 5400. I bet you can get good deals on both these days.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp8400/

Mike M
11-09-2007, 05:00 PM
I just got my Nikon cam today (fedx). I read the manual and I'm taking pic's. Very nice camera!!!!!!!

Will be using it tonight.

Mike

klkanders
11-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Cmon Mike I see that you are on. Any pics to share with us yet? :)
This thread is interesting as we are borrowing a friends Canon Rebel XT right now and I am going to try it on a few night shots tomorrow evening.

Mike M
11-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Look on the direct mail thread--

klkanders
11-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Sorry Mike I had not gotten to that thread yet. I am slow and old......see Nighty Night thread..................:)