PDA

View Full Version : Easy CASH

EagleLandscape
11-07-2007, 06:07 PM
I got a call today for a zone that was only working half the time, to never.

Sounded kinda odd.

Turned it on at the controller, came right on. Hmmm.
Metered the miliamps, perfect range. Hmm...
Found valve, weathermatic nitro, 5 years old. Didnt think the diaphragm was out, but there wasnt a wire nut on the zone wire to the solenoid.

Wire nut on, and noticed when I touched the wires the solenoid came on and off.

All it was was a bad connection on one wire.

He was expecting a 200$ valve repair job, turned out to be a 15 minute wire nut fix. Good thing, cause I was dead tired at the end of the day.

Just had to share my joy.

Mike Leary
11-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Good for you..I've had a number of those where you wiggle the wires, valve
comes on, tighten the connection..done."no charge, tell your friends about me", best advertising ever.:clapping:

AJ Lawnscapes
11-07-2007, 06:29 PM
So it was a $400 nut job?

lol!

ed2hess
11-07-2007, 06:54 PM
I am curious about you amp reading....how do you measure it?? I guess I do it wrong but I normally measure resistance at the controller first...is that wrong.

EagleLandscape
11-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Well I just charged him a service call, but I ended up talking landscape and landscape lighting to him for a while. He asked for a bunch of cards for some of his friends in a ritzier part of town, and I think I will do some low voltage lights in his front yard if he can pull it by his wife:)

EagleLandscape
11-07-2007, 06:55 PM
I am curious about you amp reading....how do you measure it?? I guess I do it wrong but I normally measure resistance at the controller first...is that wrong.

I carry a SmartLine Demo unit that has seen better days to do valve locations, amp readings, diagnostics, etc. I just metered the output for the zone that I hooked up. Works great!

Mike Leary
11-07-2007, 07:00 PM
I carry a SmartLine Demo unit that has seen better days to do valve locations, amp readings, diagnostics, etc. I just metered the output for the zone that I hooked up. Works great!

You'll do well, my son. Dorks try to get the money early, smart guys give
it away & get it back in spades down the road.:)

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-07-2007, 07:07 PM
You'll do well, my son. Dorks try to get the money early, smart guys give
it away & get it back in spades down the road.:)

Ditto. A well timed and judged freebie can pay huge dividends down the road.

londonrain
11-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I was doing a service call earlier this year and a lady stopped and asked if I could come look at her system when I was done. Finished my service call then I looked at her system, she had just a 205 valve with loose screws and it was leaking. I tightened the screws and told her no charge, just remember me when you need anything else. She called yesterday, the company she works for just purchased a new building and they need a price on a irrigation system. The job looks like about a $6000+/- job.