PDA

View Full Version : RC: Noticed many landscapers doing blow outs

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-08-2007, 07:16 PM
this past season...

In my past few years I've noticed these bottom feeders that are cutting throats left and right to get a blow out..I mean I don't go to their accounts stealing work...And now JESUS....EVERY landscape company is striving for the irrigation work..I mean WTF....1 guy in a neighborhood is doing zones for 8$$ for our 12$$..It's insane and wrong....This one landscape Giant company on Cape(Joyce) is Huge biggest or almost biggest with accounts does everything outside... And now this year he decides he will finally branch out into an irrigation company..I swear all the contractors i talk with are B$**$**** cause he sucked up 20 accts here 40 there..

I mean it seems that the pizza pie of irrigation work is shrinking..Service industry it will become..I'm just a foreman and is see it...

ARRRRRRRG!

CSR

DanaMac
11-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Yup. Seen way too many people doing it cheap this year. Not sure if landscapers or not. That's okay we have 715+ on the list with 20 left and a few stragglers calling every day. It irritates me, but it hasn't hurt my numbers. I have had a few decline over the phone when I tell them my rates though.

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Yup. Seen way too many people doing it cheap this year. Not sure if landscapers or not. That's okay we have 715+ on the list with 20 left and a few stragglers calling every day. It irritates me, but it hasn't hurt my numbers. I have had a few decline over the phone when I tell them my rates though.

I'm glad its just not me...It's horrible...

they don't touch our numbers either.
but still its like me taking my boss's customer list and doing it for 5 $ cheaper on a turn on or something..

btw its good to hear that your almost done dana...
I know i was very happy and my boss even happier when we finished.

BrandonV
11-08-2007, 07:45 PM
i think a lot of it has to do with people's desire to have someone handle EVERYTHING. I know with our situation we contract with folks to handle the entire property. check the sprinklers on a set schedule, mow, remove leaves, winterize, and sometimes chase off intruders. here at least we don't have the density of people to specialize as much, so I try to be good at everything... some people try to do everything and don't do the "good" part but that's a different thread.

mojob
11-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Here's a tip. Stop bragging about how much money you make doing blowouts.

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Here's a tip. Stop bragging about how much money you make doing blowouts.

who said I was bragging..

A few bottom feeders realized it was easy money and decided to cut throats..

It don't take a genius to realize your pushing buttons and putting compressed air to the system...The trick part of doing blow outs is trouble shooting with quick results...plain>simple.

and Who are you?

DanaMac
11-08-2007, 07:52 PM
btw its good to hear that your almost done dana...
I know i was very happy and my boss even happier when we finished.

Oh yeah....... I'll be happy when it's over. Now we have a bunch of repairs. I've done one frozen/cracked RP (with another on the list), 20+ bonnet/poppets, copper, etc. Have a controller to replace and a few other things that we've made a list of. I'll probably give all to my tech so I can sit back a little. Plus another possible mini-vaca late next week.

DanaMac
11-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Funny how I look forward to winterizations in July/August, and dread them half way through October. Oh well.

hoskm01
11-08-2007, 08:04 PM
and Who are you?

Classic, not a month goes by without one...Lovin it.

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Classic, not a month goes by without one...Lovin it.

as we say on cape cod..Par the course..

hehe.

Without A Drought
11-08-2007, 08:30 PM
just a few quick comments.

$12/zone is not expensive.

I agree with dana, i can't wait for them in July, and by now i'm very busy with them, but bored outta my mind (honestly, how many times can you say "NEXT" in one day?)

I think the general trend of site maintenance is the all-inclusive contract. Even where we are in Northern NJ, things are going that way. and from the homeowner's point it makes a lot of sense. and i'll be honest, i'm thinking about packing it in and going to a larger LCO and running their irrigation. Personally, i don't see an irrigation only company lasting a lot longer in this area, even with a large customer base. Like you said Rotar, there's just too many people out there willing to undercut the market.

Which brings me to another thought. my problem is, with "X" amount of years/exp. in the field, it's getting more difficult to translate the right way of doing irrigation to the customer. Example: i need to charge this amount for separate irrigation, matched PR, etc., when Joe PGP will general water @ half the price. The customer doesn't understand/believe the difference, and i'll lose the bid. Which is why i'm thinking of the LCO option. That way i can just give them the price of the job, they include it in the overall bid/contract and i can rest assured the irrigation is done right.

And don't get me started on the trade magazines.

...Just a little venting.

thanks

pg

mojob
11-08-2007, 09:58 PM
who said I was bragging..

A few bottom feeders realized it was easy money and decided to cut throats..

It don't take a genius to realize your pushing buttons and putting compressed air to the system...The trick part of doing blow outs is trouble shooting with quick results...plain>simple.

and Who are you?
I should have worded my post a little differently. It wasn't directed at you specifically. But when a person hears about someone doing 900-1000 blowouts @ $50-60 a shot it's going to get a lot of people's attention.

DanaMac
11-09-2007, 03:21 AM
I should have worded my post a little differently. It wasn't directed at you specifically. But when a person hears about someone doing 900-1000 blowouts @ $50-60 a shot it's going to get a lot of people's attention.

Okay then it was directed at me.

and you are......?

Yeah, maybe it was bragging a little. Maye it was just to make the point of me being ready to be done with it all. Either way, tough. get over it.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-09-2007, 09:17 AM

Yeah but then the season is over. I had 8 service calls come in and am backed up 2 weeks. Will probably have work all winter. I'm not so sure I'd want to be in a situation in which so much of the season is based on blowout numbers.

Ground Master
11-09-2007, 09:22 AM
.........and conversely, not sure if I want a situation where its 8 service calls day after day, month after month, year after year.

I kinda like the start up, repairs, shut down cycle.

hoskm01
11-09-2007, 09:28 AM
.........and conversely, not sure if I want a situation where its 8 service calls day after day, month after month, year after year.

I kinda like the start up, repairs, shut down cycle.
Not a fan of steady business?

We dont see the cycle here. Its steady for the most part. A lot of repairs at overseed time as people scalp thier turf to the nubbins, including heads and nozzles.

lehrjetmx
11-09-2007, 09:57 AM
My company is still in its pup years com but I was out putting out over 1000 door flyers and sent out over 100 letters to my current customers. Out of that was hoping to bring in at least 50 more new customers. That didn't happen and was disappointed. We added Landscape Design this year because I was giving away free advice with regards to installing dripline and beds. I smarted up over the winter. I drove by a Landscape company on a major road and right out front SPRINKLER BLOWOUTS $40.00. What are we suppose to do!!!!
Hate to say it if you can't beat :hammerhead: them join them!!!!! But I know thats not the answer.
Only one week full of appointments left for us and then its sleepy time.

mojob
11-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Okay then it was directed at me.

and you are......?

Yeah, maybe it was bragging a little. Maye it was just to make the point of me being ready to be done with it all. Either way, tough. get over it.
Simmer down dude. I didn't direct it at you or anyone for that matter. I just remember seeing some posts last year on the topic. It wasn't an attack just an observation. And, since you're so interested in who I am, I'm just another squirrel trying to get a nut. I wish all of you the best of luck and hope you had a great season.

jerryrwm
11-09-2007, 03:37 PM
My company is still in its pup years com but I was out putting out over 1000 door flyers and sent out over 100 letters to my current customers. Out of that was hoping to bring in at least 50 more new customers. That didn't happen and was disappointed. We added Landscape Design this year because I was giving away free advice with regards to installing dripline and beds. I smarted up over the winter. I drove by a Landscape company on a major road and right out front SPRINKLER BLOWOUTS $40.00. What are we suppose to do!!!!
Hate to say it if you can't beat :hammerhead: them join them!!!!! But I know thats not the answer.
Only one week full of appointments left for us and then its sleepy time.Hire the knotheads as sub contractors and let them burn up their machines.

DanaMac
11-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Simmer down dude. I didn't direct it at you or anyone for that matter. I just remember seeing some posts last year on the topic. It wasn't an attack just an observation. And, since you're so interested in who I am, I'm just another squirrel trying to get a nut. I wish all of you the best of luck and hope you had a great season.

Ok here will be my only response to this and then let's drop it.

We post these things to show how we've progressed or met or faltered on our goals. My actual goal was 800 blow outs, so I have failed at that. Not disappointed though as we are still above and beyond last years numbers. I could tell Jim Lewis - don't brag about your Rainbird points and your all expense paid trips. I'm excited that he has gotten to that level, and it helps the rest of us know what is available for working hard or efficient or buying the right products. 700+ blow outs allows me to take the winter off and not work if I don't want to. Rotar post lots of pics of his accomplishments because he is proud of them, not bragging about them. Heck I could sit here and lie and say we did 1500 for two guys. We're just listing our accomplishments and how we've grown the company or have been able to succeed. That's all.

And if you don't know the - and you are..... - quote, you haven't been following the irrigation forum enough. Anyway, courtesy handshake here, let's move on. :)

DanaMac
11-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Hire the knotheads as sub contractors and let them burn up their machines.

Thought about that, but then we are still liable for warranty issues in the spring. And who knows what kind of people they are or will send out to do the work. I want those of us that will take care of the customer, working on the system.

cush
11-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Seems like everyone around here is doing blowouts this year. It seems everyone is in the twenty dollar range this year to. Many of the larger sprinkler and landscaping co's have even drooped their pants and not held out for the $55 they usually do. I have seen some fossil compressors were talking forty years old. The hole blowout thing is becoming a joke. I doubled my marketing effort this year and we only saw about a 50% increase. All in all I am happy with my numbers but I am expecting a decrease next year.

maxkicker
11-09-2007, 09:54 PM
sorry to interupt but what is the going rate for a blowout?
i have been charging $75 min, did a 9 zone for $150 today
im hearing 40-60 from you guys?

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-09-2007, 10:03 PM
sorry to interupt but what is the going rate for a blowout?
i have been charging $75 min, did a 9 zone for $150 today
im hearing 40-60 from you guys?

Ignorance is bliss. Charge top dollar, don't worry about the competition until your bottom line starts taking a hit.

maxkicker
11-09-2007, 10:12 PM
i just started trying to get into irrigation this year
fixing valves,pipe,wiring whatever customers needed trying to learn as much as i can before i go all out

$75 min. seems fair to me compressors arent cheap and neither are 2 guys
to do the blowouts

i didnt ask anyone what they charge before i started giving prices
and at the rate im charging oposed to you guys im surprised i got any business

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-09-2007, 10:16 PM
fixing valves,pipe,wiring whatever customers needed trying to learn as much as i can before i go all out

to do the blowouts

Don't blow it. (A pun) You seem to have a good insight into a reasonable profit margin. Let others dictate your profit and you are doomed.

jerryrwm
11-10-2007, 09:28 AM

to do the blowouts

Not everyone is lower. Our minimum is $75 for anything up to 6 zones. I have two that we charge less for: The Owner's house is $65.00 (It would be $135.00 if it was a customer) and one for the Maint Div VP that we charge $55.00 (It would be a $100.00 for anyone else).

Hold your line as long as you can and keep your customers insulated from the competition by taking good care of them.

Mdirrigation
11-12-2007, 09:16 AM

to do the blowouts

Just a point of info. In Maryland you have to have a home improvement license to do irrigation.