PDA

View Full Version : brass elbow

Pro-Scapes
11-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Much like what mike m was discussing before either here or another site... I need to mount a small wall wash (stellar) to the facia board of a small porch overhang to uplight the 2nd store above the porch softly. The roof of the porch is copper and there is no gutter.

I was going to make something or buy a fitting but I want it to match. Does anyone make or does anyone know of a brass 90 degree elbow with a 1/2 male at one end and a female at the other so we can use a regular surface mount flange ? If not where can I buy a 3"x3" chunk of brass so I can machine one... looks will matter here and it will be noticeable.

jnewton
11-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Billy --
I think Florida Outdoor Lighting Distributors (FOLD) might have what you need. If you click on "Replacement Parts" and scroll down you'll see a CAST Bronze Knuckle that may work. Just a thought....

RICHLONGHORN
11-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Pretty much any plumbing supply house should carry that fitting Billy. It is referred to as a 1/2" male x female street elbow.

Pro-Scapes
11-09-2007, 06:27 PM
thanks for the replies.. the knuckle may work with the addition of the nipple but i will check out the local plumbing place and see what i can dig up... thanks again.

EOL
11-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Here are some pics of a couple of stellars I installed to light up some dormers.

ChampionLS
11-14-2007, 05:29 AM
Much like what mike m was discussing before either here or another site... I need to mount a small wall wash (stellar) to the facia board of a small porch overhang to uplight the 2nd store above the porch softly. The roof of the porch is copper and there is no gutter.

I was going to make something or buy a fitting but I want it to match. Does anyone make or does anyone know of a brass 90 degree elbow with a 1/2 male at one end and a female at the other so we can use a regular surface mount flange ? If not where can I buy a 3"x3" chunk of brass so I can machine one... looks will matter here and it will be noticeable.

Whats up there Billy Bob!?? :rolleyes:

Why not use a brass Street Elbow?

~Anthony

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Here are some pics of a couple of stellars I installed to light up some dormers.

Excuse my intrusion here.... but if I may;

Next time, why not order those fixtures painted/powdercoated to match the trim colour of the fascia they are mounted to? This will make them blend in and be less visible both day and night.

Also, check out the NS MiniWashLiter for this application. The fixture and mount are smaller, more discrete and they can be colour matched to any RAL powder on the chart.

Have a great day.

Mike M
11-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Billy,

I have the nightscaping miniwashliters. They are available without the stem, and have a bracket which can be mounted directly on the house. In fact, maybe today will be the day I try some demo mounting above my porch.

By the way, nice pics ELO.

Mike

Yes, I am convinced that I will put them on today. It's hard to motivate myself to do work for a non-paying customer (me). Do you think my wife might pay me?

Pro-Scapes
11-14-2007, 09:49 AM
im willing to bet your wife does your laundry and other things for you... thats payment in full.

Thanks effrain but that wont work for me. Nice work but I will need to mount the stellar and then be able to aim it more horizontal than up. Still need to go pick up that elbow

JoeyD
11-14-2007, 10:47 AM

Next time, why not order those fixtures painted/powdercoated to match the trim colour of the fascia they are mounted to? This will make them blend in and be less visible both day and night.

Also, check out the NS MiniWashLiter for this application. The fixture and mount are smaller, more discrete and they can be colour matched to any RAL powder on the chart.

Have a great day.

Mind you the Stellar can be powdercoated from the factory any color one prefers. On top of that you can remove the stellars knuckle and flush moutn it directly tot he wall if you choose. The brass Stellar is a thicker more durable light then the stamped NS miniwashliter.

irrig8r
11-14-2007, 11:17 AM
The brass Stellar is a thicker more durable light then the stamped NS miniwashliter.

You mean "fixture" or "luminaire" not "light", right Joey? Cause it sounds funny other wise... thicker light.. :)

Anyway, I'll bet both fixtures have their merits. My only experience is with the NS Mini Wash Liter. It's not "stamped" but hand-assembled and soldered of a heavier gauge copper than you probably imagine.

You offer a lifetime warranty on a cast brass product, right? And they offer a 10 year warranty on their copper one.

So, let the market decide. It's nice to have choices.

JoeyD
11-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah I actually meant Luminaire not fixture or light but Luminaire. How did you guess? No one would know what a light is, stupid me...lol

And you know more about the light, I'm sorry Luminaire then me but I would have to say that before the copper can be soldered togeather it would need to be stamped out of a sheet of copper . It's not a bad thing to be stamped copper, my copper is also stamped in some of my lights. The Stellar is also a hand assembled light, it is not assembled by robots although they may appear that way.

But my statement still stands true, the Stellar is a thicker more durable LUMINAIRE.

But in reality we are comparing apples to oranges. They look similar and they do some of the same things but the inherent design is completely different, the sockets are different, mounting options are different, they are made from two different metals one being casted the other being stamped, and they carry different warranties.

I am only playing with you Gregg!!!

EOL
11-14-2007, 09:33 PM

Have a great day.
I am very aware of powdercoated fixtures to match and blend, but in this case, what customer wants customer gets. My customer was in it for the asthetic look and not the stealthy look. She loves the look of brass fixtures and was very satisfied with how it looked. I mearly posted those pics for Billy just to see that you can mount these with a small base and not have to install an elbow to get straight out in front of it. You shouldnt have to get right out in front to get a nice wall wash.

Pro-Scapes
11-15-2007, 08:40 AM
I appreciate the pics but I got a different application where it will need to be attached to a facia board on a small porch overhang. Luckily it will be mostly concealed by a tree.

The Lighting Geek
11-15-2007, 10:50 PM
I cut the knuckle off of the stellar all the time and mount flush to walls and rocks. It has angles already built into the housing to simplify getting multiple fixtures at the same angle. It also is great mounted angled up to the center of a gazebo or patio cover from the top of the posts. If you turn the guard upside down it cuts glare very well. Awesome indirect lighting effect.

One other application I use these for is, instead of mounting them on the building, I slide a mount available from Unique (can't remmember the name) under the composite roof shingle. Usually the brown roof tiles will help disguise the fixture.

cgland
11-15-2007, 10:56 PM
I believe Hadco has a fixture that seems like what you are refering to. The number escapes me, but it is a brass, mountable, aimable fixture.

Chris

Pro-Scapes
11-16-2007, 12:33 AM
change of plans. They redid the woodwork and it has dentil moulding all the way around. Will be lighting that area of the house from the ground now with a spot placed in the beds and an probably have to put a boulder or something in front of it. Client wont allow me to run wire up solid 6x6 pillars or up mature tree close by.

Mike M
11-16-2007, 08:26 AM
I slide a mount available from Unique (can't remember the name) under the composite roof shingle

More on this please. Any pics? Joey??

Thanks,

Mike M

JoeyD
11-16-2007, 12:49 PM
I think tommy os reffering to the Uni Bracket known as the gutter bracket.

JoeyD
11-16-2007, 01:05 PM
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/StellarFlush2.jpg
flush mounted stellar
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/StellarFlush.jpg
close up
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/SequencerandUniBracket005.jpg
Uni Bracket / Gutter Bracket
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/UniBracket1.jpg
Uni Bracket Mounted in Gutter. (There is a better way to mount this if you go under the lip of the rain gutter)
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/ApplicationShots018.jpg
Stellar mounted on riser mounted to Uni Bracket

irrig8r
11-16-2007, 01:29 PM
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/StellarFlush2.jpg
flush mounted stellar

I'm sure the effect on that urn is quite striking, but it looks like an afterthought during the day. Just curious....if you had been in on that design in the beginning, would you have gone the same route, or recessed some kind of small well lights in the top of the pillar?

Mike M
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Joey, I found your reference to the gutter mount and pic's. Where can I get these?

Also, is Unique still considering a mount that slides under shingles?

Thanks,

Mike

JoeyD
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
This was definitly an existing Urn and post. It would have been really hard ven in new construction for a cored in light to do what these Stellars do here. I need to get some nigth shots of this whole job. It is incredible.

JoeyD
11-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Joey, I found your reference to the gutter mount and pic's. Where can I get these?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike you can pm me or call me and I can tell you where to buy them locally. We Are still working on a part that would allow you to slide under a shingle for mount. Everything we have done so far still requires you to mount it with some sort of a screw. We are trying to develop something strong enough to use leverage and not just break off during a strong storm. I will keep you posted.

Joey D.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-16-2007, 06:37 PM
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ Gutter Bracket
[IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/UniBracket1.jpg
Uni Bracket Mounted in Gutter. (There is a better way to mount this if you go under the lip of the rain gutter)
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/ApplicationShots018.jpg
Stellar mounted on riser mounted to Uni Bracket

Are those two sheet metal screws mounting the unibracket into the inside of the gutters? Does this application pierce the gutter material?

I had not seen this bracket applied before and had great hopes for it. But if during the mounting of the bracket you have to piece the gutter material then there is no way I could use it. Will all of the hand formed copper gutters around here, any leaks could cost me thousands.

JoeyD
11-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Are those two sheet metal screws mounting the unibracket into the inside of the gutters? Does this application pierce the gutter material?

I had not seen this bracket applied before and had great hopes for it. But if during the mounting of the bracket you have to piece the gutter material then there is no way I could use it. Will all of the hand formed copper gutters around here, any leaks could cost me thousands.

James.
this photo like I mentioned isnt the best way to mount them. The best way to mount them is to allow the flange on the bracket to slide under the fold. You will use the tech screws to pierce the rain gutter into the fascia just like they do when they mount the gutter. If you look in that picture you can see how the rain gutter and where the rain gutter braket is screwed in. That is how it is to be used. I am just limited on my application photos.

If you got 4 in deep water in your gutter filling up to those upper screws then you probably have a clogged rain gutter anyway. SO mounted properly (which would be higher then the one in the picture) you should have no problems.

Joey D.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the explanation Joey. Perhaps I will pick one up for a look see at the next trade show.

Pro-Scapes
11-16-2007, 07:47 PM

Thanks,

Mike

Mike give AJ a shout on these at FOLD he has em in stock. He just sent some up for me to SOLD so I can pick em up monday. Then the Jury will be out on em.

JoeyD
11-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Let me know what youguys think and if you think they can be better tell me those thaughts as well. I love the feedback, good or bad.

ChampionLS
11-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Copper gutters... just solder the bracket inside.