PDA

View Full Version : new-b

loom-gen
11-09-2007, 11:18 PM
I am a self procliamed awsome lawn guy. however, I have run into a snag with some lighting issues. I need to install some lights in front of one of my complexes. It seems that in my contract for landscaping repairs and maint., I failed to protect myself from hard wired electrical desplay. All I need to do is install six ground level lights directed upwards into six seperate trees. There is power coming from somewhere to existing lines from a previous lighting system. the lines were descovered capped with wire nuts and have power at night. I immagine they are wired to a nearby street light and are controlled by the street lights photo cell because the lines are hot at the exact time the light comes on. Will I be ok connecting the new lights to this system if I seal the lines in conduit? Is there a good book for lighting if this isn't a field i want to persue but just need a hint once and a while for such problems? btw subbing out wouldn't be an option.

pete scalia
11-09-2007, 11:46 PM
I am a self procliamed awsome lawn guy. however, I have run into a snag with some lighting issues. I need to install some lights in front of one of my complexes. It seems that in my contract for landscaping repairs and maint., I failed to protect myself from hard wired electrical desplay. All I need to do is install six ground level lights directed upwards into six seperate trees. There is power coming from somewhere to existing lines from a previous lighting system. the lines were descovered capped with wire nuts and have power at night. I immagine they are wired to a nearby street light and are controlled by the street lights photo cell because the lines are hot at the exact time the light comes on. Will I be ok connecting the new lights to this system if I seal the lines in conduit? Is there a good book for lighting if this isn't a field i want to persue but just need a hint once and a while for such problems? btw subbing out wouldn't be an option.

If you are not a licensed electrician you shouldn't be touching this job directly. What you are describing sounds like 120V not 12V. Sub an electrician and make everyone happy:waving:

loom-gen
11-10-2007, 12:18 AM
The old system is low voltage. I tested the lines and found the transformer. It is only 300W but I'm only putting in six lights @ 45W tops. I can't afford the 2k some hack wants to charge without even looking at it. In the Winter, I remodel. I've done it for years. Electrical work doesn't require a license if you are repairing existing fixtures under 240. Telling someone they shouldn't do something doesn't count as advice unless the person you are talking to is an idiot. I'm not an idiot. I'm just moderately stupid in some areas.

pete scalia
11-10-2007, 12:29 AM
The old system is low voltage. I tested the lines and found the transformer. It is only 300W but I'm only putting in six lights @ 45W tops. I can't afford the 2k some hack wants to charge without even looking at it. In the Winter, I remodel. I've done it for years. Electrical work doesn't require a license if you are repairing existing fixtures under 240. Telling someone they shouldn't do something doesn't count as advice unless the person you are talking to is an idiot. I'm not an idiot. I'm just moderately stupid in some areas.

Then put in the lights and be done with it. I don't understand what you want.
The math doesn't add up though 6 fixtures divided by 45 watts is 7.5 watts each assuming each lamp is the same. The only lamp I know of that's 7.5 watts is a wedge base usually found in malibu lights. I assume that since it's a commercial property this is not the case. Give us more info and maybe someone can help.

ChampionLS
11-10-2007, 12:38 AM
What is 45 watts? is that your total? I doubt your using 7 watt fixtures, and 45 watts makes more sense. I don't think there are 45 watt bulbs- most are usually 20, 25, 35 or 50. As long as your under 300 watts total, you'll be fine.

loom-gen
11-10-2007, 01:11 AM
What is 45 watts? is that your total? I doubt your using 7 watt fixtures, and 45 watts makes more sense. I don't think there are 45 watt bulbs- most are usually 20, 25, 35 or 50. As long as your under 300 watts total, you'll be fine.
Sorry, Someone (not me, I swear) Wired their own fixtures to the existing lines and left them there. In those fixtures were screw in 45w bulbs. I guess this is why the system wasn't working prior to my arrival. There is still power to the lines so I immagine the transformer isn't dammaged. If this was your first encounter with a outdoor lighting problem, would you not be confused? I found some well lamps and they are 36W. This will work for a 12 volt system. I wish I had some pics so I could show you. I will get pics when I'm done. Now all I have to deal with is roots. Thanks

Pro-Scapes
11-10-2007, 01:38 AM
no i dont think you can do the line voltage work for hire unless your an electrician. I have never heard of this before.

Your unclear as to what your asking. I also really doubt your landscapers insurance policy covers you on electrical work. This is electrcians work or lighting technicians work not landscaping so you are not bound to do it per your contract UNLESS you state in the contract you will maintain that lighting system.

Why has it failed in the first place that it needs to be repaired/replaced?

You have not stated if you intend to use line voltage or low voltage. You mention 45w...per lamp??? total??? where are you getting magical 45w lamps ?

If I understand you corectly there used to be a line voltage system and now there is a low voltage system in place that has failed but the line voltage wires are still there and active ?

Bottom line if your not prepared (as you said your not an idiot) but your uneducated about lighting and you are not insured for lighting obviously dont touch it... its a liability. What happens when something gets hooked up wrong or burns down ?

I would really have to add... if you dont know where the power source is and cant find out or figure out the feed then you really shouldnt be touching it.

Word for word what does your contract say about maintaining lighting ? Line voltage lighting is electrical work not landscape work

irrig8r
11-10-2007, 01:06 PM
You say 45 W and SCREW IN lamps.

I think either someone but Line voltage fixtures on an LV system, or it's a line voltage system.

Until you can determine which it is, and whether the cables from the transformer run to the fixtures, I would lay off, and call in a professional.

300 W could easily handle six 35 W MR 16 uplights, depending on cable size and distance, if that's all you really want to do. Personally, I think one light per tree usually looks pretty lame....depending on size and species.

ChampionLS
11-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Take some pictures. That's the fastest, easiest way we can see whats 'cooking'.

irrig8r
11-10-2007, 02:25 PM
The other thing you say is the well lamps are 36 W. I think maybe you're interpretting that from "PAR 36"... but Anthony is correct.

Take photos.

pete scalia
11-10-2007, 07:44 PM
The other thing you say is the well lamps are 36 W. I think maybe you're interpretting that from "PAR 36"... but Anthony is correct.

Take photos.

Sylvania has a 36 watt PAR36 (Ge's is 35watt) capsylite halogen. Maybe that's what he means.

Chris J
11-10-2007, 10:28 PM
I don't think the guy knows what he's talking about. No harm intended bud, but it sounds like your getting ready to get youself into a world of ****!

Pro-Scapes
11-11-2007, 11:14 AM
I don't think the guy knows what he's talking about. No harm intended bud, but it sounds like your getting ready to get youself into a world of ****!

I think we scared him into embarrasment... Either that or he is laying electrocuted in the beds because he was messing with the line voltage and the irrigation went off :nono:

YardPro
11-11-2007, 08:40 PM
i smell something burning............

Pro-Scapes
11-11-2007, 11:43 PM
i smell something burning............

new-bies roasting on an electrical fire fire..... line voltage.... bit him in the nose. Lawn boys dressed up like lighting boyssssss....

Sorry couldnt resist since I was thinking about holiday lighting

ChampionLS
11-12-2007, 05:20 AM
Speaking of Holiday lighting... remember a few posts back..we were talking about that light sequencer system that was on a house and it played music- There was a video too. Well, I just saw it at Costco. They sell it at Lowes too, but it's more expensive. It's very well built. It's an outdoor speaker and controller in a weather tight enclosure, and it comes with two GFCI protected weatherproof receptacles that can be mounted on included stakes, or directly to a structure. It comes it dk green w. smoke colored panel covers. You just plug in your holiday lighting and chose from 7 different songs. It will sequence the lights for you. The sound quality is excellent too.