PDA

View Full Version : Laser Grading

ASCHAL45
11-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Does anyone offer laser grading? I am looking into it myself because of all the large commercial sites being built in my town and concrete isnt cheap. If any one offers this let me know how it is working I am looking at an AGl automatic machine control unit for a skid steer? Im not sure if i want to go with a grader blade or a box blade yet.

AWJ Services
11-10-2007, 03:23 PM
They work well on loose soil and gravel.
Hard clay will give it fits.

Find a full service dealer and have them let you demo a machine with it on there first.
You need too buy a dual grade extended range laser as well.
Very expensive setup.

bobcat_ron
11-10-2007, 03:47 PM
The cheap way out is welding a steel rod to the back side of the bucket and putting a laser receiver on it, but if it's pure precision, grader attachments are the way to go.

AWJ Services
11-10-2007, 04:17 PM
The cheap way out is welding a steel rod to the back side of the bucket and putting a laser receiver on it, but if it's pure precision, grader attachments are the way to go.

That is manual laser grading.
He is talking about automatic grading were the laser controls the hydraulics.

bobcat_ron
11-10-2007, 04:27 PM
That's the REALLY expensive way!

AWJ Services
11-10-2007, 05:24 PM
That's the REALLY expensive way!
Around 15K+ .

ASCHAL45
11-10-2007, 06:34 PM
What are ppl charging a square foot on laser grading if you dont mind me asking?

ksss
11-10-2007, 07:14 PM
I have everything bought to get started minus the laser grader. Sounds stupid, but I bought the dual plane laser (Topcon) I now have VTS tracks and a new vibratory roller. I have researched it to death. I believe the box blade is the best set up for concrete grade type laser grading. The blade attachments always leave a tail of material. I think the box blade is more clean and compact. The system I am planning on buying is made by Southern Laser at laserleveling.com It is about 18K for everything. I had ordered one this Spring but put it on hold when I found out I had to be gone for half the Summer. I would like to wait until ConExpo as they usually run a special during the show.

AWJ Services
11-10-2007, 07:50 PM
I believe the box blade is the best set up for concrete grade type laser grading. The blade attachments always leave a tail of material.

I agree.

What are ppl charging a square foot on laser grading if you dont mind me asking?

You will have a hard time selling it for much more than what they are already using.
It takes alot of education too sell it in an application that it is not being used in.
I would start selling the service at the same rate as people without it.
I know this sounds odd but you should be able too do the job better and faster with no helper than somone with a laser and reciever manually do it.
Once the contractors start seeing the savings in concrete from your superior quality you will be busy.
Then you can adjust your rate based on operating expenses.

This is all depends on the going rate as well.

ksss
11-10-2007, 08:03 PM
I have talked to several large companies that do the large box buildings such as Super Walmarts and CostCo's. It varies from 25 cents to 75 cents a square foot. Thats good money on a 50,000 square foot building. I agree that you'll have to come in at the same going rate. The speed at which you can get the job done and the accuracy, one would be plenty busy. I have also considered offering some type of well written garrentee that the grade/concrete will be within a certain percent of what the pour calls for. I would want to see what the system is capable of but if it is as accurate as what they say I think it would help secure jobs.

Construct'O
11-10-2007, 08:25 PM
As far as laser goes AGI ,Trimble,Apache,and Topcon would be my choice.I have Laser Alignment,now (Leica) which is a waste if your not into GPS.They are letting there laser products go and pushing GPS

They are not making components for the older lasers and recievers.So they will soon be obsolete.That is why i would go with the other lasers companys.They are still going to be working with the older units and products ,at least for a while longer.

Most lasers(transmitters) will enter change with different recievers.So you don't have to have the same brand laser,but for the automatic control system .You have to have the same control box,cables, and reciever the same brand.You can't enter change them very easly.

I would go with the box scraper witht the wheel system.If your going to get real serious then go the dual grade system.You will have to have dual grade laser and extra reciever.For smaller jobs, it would take longer ,single grade will work.Good luck!

AWJ Services
11-10-2007, 08:36 PM
They are not making components for the older lasers and recievers.So they will soon be obsolete.That is why i would go with the other lasers companys.They are still going to be working with the older units and products ,at least for a while longer.

Thats not what my Leica guy is saying.
I would like too hear more about it.

Construct'O
11-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Thats not what my Leica guy is saying.
I would like too hear more about it.

Might be what your Leica sales rep is telling you ,but just try getting your old Laser aligment lasers fixed.

I have LB 1 that they are not making parts for anymore! Also have dual grade LB 4 and that there are some parts that they can't get like the computer board for them.I just had mine replaced before they Changed over to different board.It was like 1600 $ just for it and had a big go around to get it for that.

They use to be one of the best built lasers going as far as i was concerned ,not now.If you can't get parts it's useless.

Some of the control boxs the boards are no long available,if you have that go bad.The recievers are also osbsolete now because the parts are unavailable.

I have Deepmaster(not the 100 like you have.) reicever and control box that if it quits ,mize well throw in the trash barrel.I also have a Deepmaster 100 reciever.

They are still going to make parts for the Deepmaster 100 reciever that fits on your excavator stick and the 5 light control box and 5 light reciver they will be servicing until parts become unavailable.

I have talked to over three different service departments about this ,plus called the company direct.Leica is big time company over seas that bought out Laser Aligment,they push GPS.

Just check out there website and see what shows up first.GPSSSSSSS! software ,3D .

Beleive me! Sorry laser business for Leica isn't there top pritory.

I'm mad because i have a bunch of nice used Laser Alignment that i thought was going to be around for a long time and well taking care of,but now studly becoming obsolete.

Well goes along with the owner:rolleyes: i guess.Good luck.:usflag:

Construct'O
11-10-2007, 10:08 PM
I have everything bought to get started minus the laser grader. Sounds stupid, but I bought the dual plane laser (Topcon) I now have VTS tracks and a new vibratory roller. I have researched it to death. I believe the box blade is the best set up for concrete grade type laser grading. The blade attachments always leave a tail of material. I think the box blade is more clean and compact. The system I am planning on buying is made by Southern Laser at laserleveling.com It is about 18K for everything. I had ordered one this Spring but put it on hold when I found out I had to be gone for half the Summer. I would like to wait until ConExpo as they usually run a special during the show.

KSSS i'm sure you have done your research,but be sure to get the propotional valve and not the old bang,bang valve.

The new style propotional valve will be faster and smoother especialy for what your wanting to do.The old valves you have to slow down the travel to match the speed of the vavle,because the faster you travel it will start to bounce up and down because of the bang,bang valve try to compersate to the change of elevation at the faster travel speeds.

I'm sure the one your looking has the new style vavle,but just thought i would add to it,just in case!:usflag:

AWJ Services
11-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the info Construct'o.

RockSet N' Grade
11-10-2007, 11:15 PM
The system offered by SouthernLaser has the proportional control valve. I too have been looking at that system and have tried for the last year to find a used one on the market..........can't find one anywhere. You can find all sorts of others, but no used from Southern. Their construction, wheel layout, valve system seem to be of the highest quality....

Construct'O
11-10-2007, 11:35 PM
The system offered by SouthernLaser has the proportional control valve. I too have been looking at that system and have tried for the last year to find a used one on the market..........can't find one anywhere. You can find all sorts of others, but no used from Southern. Their construction, wheel layout, valve system seem to be of the highest quality....

Those are one of the nices looking outfit of several i looked at also,every since KSSS posted it back when.

For me i'm still working on my homemade rig.Good enough for the little bit of work i'll be messing with.Precision is better:weightlifter: tho if i was going in it for the big time.:usflag:

turboawd
11-11-2007, 12:44 AM
a buddy of mine has a bobcat t300 with the grader attachment and laser setup. it's pretty cool how the combo works together. the machine automatically adjusts the blade up and down. you can hear the machine making multiple corrctions per second, while moving.

ksss
11-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Southern Laser actually advertises using pilot valves. The BC box blade system is not dual plane. The grader attachment is but not the box blade. A contractor hear bought the dual plane BC grader attachment and then gave it back after not getting it to work and not getting any more help from BC. That was the clue that I really need to get this done before the competetion ("gotsta beat that competetion" name that movie for a free pat on the back).

ASCHAL45
11-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Is the skidmaster pro box blade dual plane? It seems like the best fit for me.

ASCHAL45
11-11-2007, 02:29 PM
What size skid steer should be used on a set up like this it seems like it could be a real money maker if I play my cards right?

ksss
11-11-2007, 03:18 PM
The Southern laser web site says "larger skid steers" don't know exactly what that means. Since ROC is not an issue in this application, weight and hp would be the only factors that would play. Mine are both high hp machines. The 440 is 85 hp but only weighs about 7K. The 465 has 87 hp and it weighs just under 10 K as equipped, but that seems like overkill for this application. If your working in roadbase type material I think traction would be more of an issue than power. If your pushing virgin material, hp would have be a bigger issue. Here, concrete is prepped with 3/4 crushed roadbase, the issues I have had are spinning out under load. I think the VTS will prevent that, I actually think the wide tires would work. I have a set of those and I have not used them in 3/4 but they are awesome in mud and I would assume they would work well in loose gravel. I plan on getting the 7 foot model. They also offer a 6' and 8' model, that would also dictate how big of a machine and how it should be equipped.

AWJ Services
11-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Tracks work really well on garvel base material.
There is some compaction and moving but nothing like with tires.

I have one many with my box blade and tractor before I had the skid.
The tires are aggravating because if they spin they make a hole quickly.

AWJ Services
11-11-2007, 07:26 PM
http://www.level-best.com/

This is a system I looked at.

Construct'O
11-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Heres another one

http://www.hitchdoc.com/dozer1/

Construct'O
11-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Here is one that is a single grade and the other picture is of the box blade i bought to build a single grade box blade .

It is a 7' Bushog,with the ripper teeth which i thought might come in handle.I thought i would use the first pictured bade to build mine some what like it.

It is heavy duty and has blade on the rear for back dragging,guy could also extend the sides back to the rear and carry more dirt when dragging back if needed.

I have also bought a blank skidsteer plate to mount on the back of the box blade.I'm thinking i will make brackets and bolt the plate on, not weld, just in case i was to try and make it dual grade later.

It is actually for a three point on the front,but i will be pushing it with the ctl.It looks like i can use the three point hitch to mount the wheels to them and the top link is where the grade cylinder will connect.

Got laser valve off ebay,but need some place to get the heavy duty wheels for the front.Do any of you guys got a link for the heavy wheels like in the picture of the first box blade?????? If so please post.

This will be my winter project hopefully.I have recievers and laser ,so just need the wheels and cylinder and do some prefabing.What do you think?

I know it will only be single grade,but should work fairly good.I'm thinking if your working mostly with just flat top pads that it would work good.Your talking 7' wide.Guess will have to get it done first and see.:usflag:

RockSet N' Grade
11-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Constructo: I don't know why your set up will not work if you get the right mechanical components. I would think it would work well enough that it would be a good project in down time.

RockSet N' Grade
11-11-2007, 11:35 PM
As far a tires go, I think a good starting point would be Titan International. They make tires/rims used in construction/farming. They are in Quincy, Illinois. 1-800-247-1781. You can download their catalogs off the net, but it takes awhile.

Construct'O
11-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Constructo: I don't know why your set up will not work if you get the right mechanical components. I would think it would work well enough that it would be a good project in down time.

How about the site for my dolly wheels i need there Rock ?????? You got any sites or anyone else know where to look.I have looked at savage yard for dolly wheel ,found some but not quite what i want or need.

Searched ebay and websites,see them used on pull behind trailers(single dolly wheel) for motorcycle on website,but wasn't able to found them alone for sale.

Thanks! :usflag:

AWJ Services
11-12-2007, 10:40 AM
I would find a peice of equipment that has the dolly's you like and call them and order some.

Construct'O
11-12-2007, 07:53 PM
I would find a peice of equipment that has the dolly's you like and call them and order some.

I did try some of that ,but you know how buying piece by piece for something is from dealer,price wish.

Just thought might be able to find supplier and buy from them direct,i would think that would be the cheaper way then the dealer ,who buys from the supplier then tacks on their surcharge.

Another thing i did check a few websites,but they didn't list the dolly wheel seperate and some you have to download their pfh files and have Abdore to read them and my computer is old enough that i don't have enough harddrive space for everything i need.

Thanks

RockSet N' Grade
11-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Constructo: do you have the tire and rim size that you are hunting for ?

AWJ Services
11-12-2007, 09:14 PM
I am sure most places make the caster part and purchase the wheel from an outside vendor.

Construct'O
11-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Constructo: do you have the tire and rim size that you are hunting for ?

I tryed to find the size i had some where ,but finally gave up!!!!

I think they are like 8x5.00. I sure there 8" size tire.I wanted the shaft like the ones on the first picture of box blade.Just have to have round pipe the size of the shaft to fit up into.

There is a washer and pin on the shaft to hold the shaft,tire and wheel on the blade.

Anyway it looked simple.If i can't find it now i'll have all winter here.

Busy right now turned down two jobs last week because didn't know went i would be able to get there.Don't need them nagging me to death every night after working all day.Where you at? When are you going to be here?

Nag,nag,nag had one of them for 27 years!!!!!!!:usflag:

Construct'O
11-12-2007, 10:31 PM
I am sure most places make the caster part and purchase the wheel from an outside vendor.

I have looked in my searchs under all these,but still not close to what i need.

Dolly wheel,impliment dolly wheel,equipment dolly wheel

Tires and rims (thousandz of them show up.

Trailer dolly wheel.

The wheel and shaft like the one on the first box blade,looks like the ones that come on the pull type brush mower.You see them on larger front platform mowers,but don't think they are big enough tire and wheel.

I have seen them on the older culivators.I looked under gage wheels ,which was the closest one i thought might work.

Checked at the impliment dealers,but not really the right one yet,plus they was high dollar.

Guess thats about it.The one on the first picture has the shaft and hub mounted with the wheel and tire on the hub,

There is also the ones that have a u frame where the wheel fits in the u(upside down toward the ground).The wheel has a pin(shaft) with the bearing being in the wheel rim assembly.

I'm sure you have seen them.Just having hard time finding them seperated from things.Thanks for the help it is appreciated.

ianh
11-13-2007, 02:51 AM
First post from a long time lurker, so don't think I'm barging in... but have you considered wheelbarrow wheels?

AWJ Services
11-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Your best bet would be too fab it up if you do not just want too purchase one already built.

Find the wheel you want and the rest is straight forward.

I am not sure how much fabrication equipment you have but you will need a lathe too make the caster assembly and the rest can be done out of flat plate.

AWJ Services
11-13-2007, 08:00 AM
If you search for" Caster Gauge wheel" it gets you more pertenent information.

Construct'O
11-13-2007, 09:21 AM
If you search for" Caster Gauge wheel" it gets you more pertenent information.

I'll try adding the gage part.When i use dolly wheel it shows caster wheel ,but they are the kind that just fits on trash bins,like they use on concrete flour to move things.

They are small and several are the cast wheel.

I'll keep searching ,if not will fab something.Just looking for an easy way out with least cost.I'm under a $1000 dollars with what i have to work with,just need some steel and the wheels an i'm good to go.

That the box blade,valve,blank skidsteer plate for the rear of the blade.
Plus time!!!!!!:usflag:

AWJ Services
11-13-2007, 09:37 AM
I found caster asemblies for a bushhog for 159 dollars apiece.

http://tracparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=T&Category_Code=bhwheels

Here is the link.
They have a 4 bolt hub so then you could get the right wheel.

Construct'O
11-13-2007, 07:25 PM
I found caster asemblies for a bushhog for 159 dollars apiece.

http://tracparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=T&Category_Code=bhwheels

Here is the link.
They have a 4 bolt hub so then you could get the right wheel.

Thats the u shaped one,i could live with that.I think i would wether have a tubed tire ,instead of the soild tire.What do you think?

Wouldn't have to worry about flats,just not sure how will they would turn or steer?

Like you say it has 4 bolt hub,so i'm sure finding the tire wouldn't be to hard.

If you find one with the shaft and hub let me know okay.I would like to be able to compare as price goes.The one you find, i think is priced reasonable.

Thanks again.

AWJ Services
11-13-2007, 07:44 PM
If you could find a tire you like and draw up a diagram of the caster I could build it for you.
I have a well equipped machine shop at my house.:)

I love too fab metal.

Construct'O
11-13-2007, 08:01 PM
If you could find a tire you like and draw up a diagram of the caster I could build it for you.
I have a well equipped machine shop at my house.:)

I love too fab metal.

I'm not much of a drawer ! The wheel that they had on item three said it was 6:00 x 9 ( i would guess that means 9") right size i would think,but the rim said it was 5 bolt,but the hub on the other item was 4 bolt ,so that doesn't match.

I still think the tube type tire is the one i want.:usflag:

GradeMan
04-13-2008, 04:00 PM
So has anyone been out grading yet???????????????????

GradeMan
04-13-2008, 04:02 PM
I think this equipment will be a very important part in the years to come, The old school boys don't like it, but setting up this system will pay for itself in a couple of years

ksss
04-13-2008, 04:23 PM
I think this equipment will be a very important part in the years to come, The old school boys don't like it, but setting up this system will pay for itself in a couple of years

I agree. The cost of concrete is high and accuracy is everything.

RockSet N' Grade
04-13-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm just waiting for Ksss to get it......try it out.....invite me up to test it once its on the ground.........

ksss
04-14-2008, 02:22 AM
I'm just waiting for Ksss to get it......try it out.....invite me up to test it once its on the ground.........

Why do I get to be the lab rat? I am hoping that the system pays for itself in a couple of jobs.

ksss
04-17-2008, 01:13 AM
I took the plunge, hopefully I wont get all wet. Grader ordered. I met the CAT machine control specialist tomorrow at the CAT open house and we order the components. They (CAT) cant build a skid steer, I am hoping they can at least build a sandwich (thats for you Tim):waving:

stuvecorp
04-17-2008, 01:35 AM
Cool, Someone has to be the guinea pig.:clapping:

Construct'O
04-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Which way did you go,there has been to many different system,i lost track:confused:

Good luck and pics when you get time.:usflag:

ksss
04-17-2008, 09:53 AM
I went with the Southern Laser box with Apache components, with the Dual DanFoss valve.

qps
04-17-2008, 11:16 PM
I went with the Southern Laser box with Apache components, with the Dual DanFoss valve.

After all that and you still have to go to CAT to get it done right.....**I owed you one.....:laugh:

ksss
04-19-2008, 02:31 PM
After all that and you still have to go to CAT to get it done right.....**I owed you one.....:laugh:

Lets not get a head of ourselves Mister potato(e) chip earring man. CAT has not installed anything yet to say nothing of doing right. I chatted with techno guy, sounds like midMay they will be able to install it. That timing should work fine. CAT holding true to its lineage could not build a good sandwich themselves but they did find a good subcontractor. Great prime rib sandwich. As typical with most CAT functions the no sleeves on the T shirts, one brown tooth left in their face and chewing tobacco streaming out of their lip was not that appealing but I see it at the CAT dinner in ConEx as well. It is just hard to get these CAT guys to clean up even for a free meal. I mean at least wear a clean sleeveless T shirt. O well. The food was good. My CAT skid steer sales man did not spend much time with me. I was mocking my friends new E backhoe which is on its second trip into the shop with 200 hours on it (I saw it sitting in the shop). I think the sales guy got offended. Too bad cause I was on a role.

qps
04-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Put any kind of spin on it you want...whatever gets your through...knowing that you had to turn the to leader.....welcome to the CAT family....on that note the CASE guy called and said they should have some series III for general demo around the end of may....and that I should reserve it now....I just laughed...and told him to drop one off whenever...stand in line for a CASE demo....HA...never.....:laugh:

Scag48
04-19-2008, 05:38 PM
I would think Case is going to have to work a little harder than that to push these new machines. :laugh: Stand in line for a demo...

BOBCATZZ
04-19-2008, 05:39 PM
At the moment in australia we are doing a lot of large industrial sites for the internal slab they are using a bobcat to rough grade the subsand and a deere tractor fitted with underbelly blade laser controlled for fine grading.
Out door multifall areas has changed as the use of gps and ats fitted to somero screeders the graders are using trimble ats control systems the somero runs the same card
The days of finaly tuned operators are rapidly coming to a close as machine control systems can achive +/-3mm .I use the apachce recevers for level pads but are onl;y calibrated on the bucket(no auto control) .
The company i subcontract to are talking of fitting a gps system to my machine same thing not auto more like the machine is the rover .
It will be able to give me cut /fill levals boundarys and contours with out using a peg or tape measure.

ksss
04-19-2008, 09:07 PM
At the moment in australia we are doing a lot of large industrial sites for the internal slab they are using a bobcat to rough grade the subsand and a deere tractor fitted with underbelly blade laser controlled for fine grading.
Out door multifall areas has changed as the use of gps and ats fitted to somero screeders the graders are using trimble ats control systems the somero runs the same card
The days of finaly tuned operators are rapidly coming to a close as machine control systems can achive +/-3mm .I use the apachce recevers for level pads but are onl;y calibrated on the bucket(no auto control) .
The company i subcontract to are talking of fitting a gps system to my machine same thing not auto more like the machine is the rover .
It will be able to give me cut /fill levals boundarys and contours with out using a peg or tape measure.

I agree that with the new technology having the worlds greatest operators is not as important as it used to be. It is a good thing since most of the younger guys are more at home with the CAD drawings than grade stakes anyway.

ksss
04-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Put any kind of spin on it you want...whatever gets your through...knowing that you had to turn the to leader.....welcome to the CAT family....on that note the CASE guy called and said they should have some series III for general demo around the end of may....and that I should reserve it now....I just laughed...and told him to drop one off whenever...stand in line for a CASE demo....HA...never.....:laugh:

After CASE gets those machines out for demos it is going to look like the line you see at the recycling center to drop off used phone books. It will be a line of CAT guys dropping of their CATs in one line and picking up a CASE in another.:weightlifter:

Since I am or soon will be a member of the CAT family, if I get a divorce is my wife still my sister or is that nulled as well? Also where do you guys go to get those sleeveless T shirts? I am looking forward to the beer gut, I was tired of working out anyway. This CAT family thing sounds awesome.:clapping:

RockSet N' Grade
04-19-2008, 09:14 PM
BobCatZZ.....what is the name/website of the underbelly grading unit?

RockSet N' Grade
04-19-2008, 09:19 PM
I cannot comment intelligently about the CAT family......but since I am from Utah, I can tell you about wives and stuff..............I wrote a whole paragraph, but deleted it all, just can't bring myself to take the bait........

BOBCATZZ
04-19-2008, 09:39 PM
This is one company http://www.compactgrader.com.au/ most deere compact tractor dealers also sell the same system
This could also work with the TRIMBLE ATS system

BOBCATZZ
04-19-2008, 09:46 PM
I agree that with the new technology having the worlds greatest operators is not as important as it used to be. It is a good thing since most of the younger guys are more at home with the CAD drawings than grade stakes anyway.
You still need to be able to operate but when you have to do pavment prep works for a auto concrete screeder that is using this system you have to be bang on to maintain thickness .
What i am finding is the days of a operator with a string line boning rod and good eyes are near numbered as the time to set out grade check/referance cut/fil/final trim are done time and productivity has taken us over on large works .

Construct'O
04-19-2008, 10:49 PM
The compact tractor setup is okay,but i think i would prefer the boxscraper setup better.Graders are good for moving dirt back and forth,but can't carry much dirt for any distance like the boxscraper is able to do.

Also if you are working into a corner where the you are not able to go outside the corners edge for some reason the front of the tractor won't let you work the corner with out some hand work.

I did notice that the with the blade shifted clear to one side that it stuck out quite aways ,so might be able to get most of the corner with it shift out as far as it will going.Just wouldn't want to hit something with it shifted all the way to the side or you might be repairing something????

I'm going to mount my the laser receiver on my mini for some practice here one of these days.I already have a plate mounted on the top of the blade.I use it with a bolt on bracket like a reciver hitch with a ball for pulling stuff around.Seen one on a mini on ebay and built one for mine.

A person needs to be thinking of how to make his equipment and his self more universial now days.That why skids are so popular,because of all the things a person can do with them.:usflag:

BOBCATZZ
04-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Check this out this is ats http://www.trimble.com/sps730_930.shtml

qps
04-19-2008, 11:49 PM
After CASE gets those machines out for demos it is going to look like the line you see at the recycling center to drop off used phone books. It will be a line of CAT guys dropping of their CATs in one line and picking up a CASE in another.:weightlifter:

Since I am or soon will be a member of the CAT family, if I get a divorce is my wife still my sister or is that nulled as well? Also where do you guys go to get those sleeveless T shirts? I am looking forward to the beer gut, I was tired of working out anyway. This CAT family thing sounds awesome.:clapping:

Time will tell.....if CASE does the same excellent job at promoting the new machines ( hope it isn't the same guy that runs there website)...they won't be out till christmas......reserve a demo...I was laughing so hard I tripped over tiny jeff...don't be talking about your sister like that....if she's good enough for dad she's good enough for you....:laugh:......I'm done talking smack.....how you doing Shane????

ksss
04-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Time will tell.....if CASE does the same excellent job at promoting the new machines ( hope it isn't the same guy that runs there website)...they won't be out till christmas......reserve a demo...I was laughing so hard I tripped over tiny jeff...don't be talking about your sister like that....if she's good enough for dad she's good enough for you....:laugh:......I'm done talking smack.....how you doing Shane????

I am looking forward to your 450 demo. Having the 297C will be an interesting comparison against the 450. I was talking to my salesman the other day and a 440-3 should be in beginning of this week. I really want to spend all day with the pilots. I don't think this machine has a cab enclosure so I may wait to run a loaded machine when one of those comes in.

As far economy goes there are a lot of guys with not much going on (seems that the backhoe only guys are the hardest hit). The excavator guys that did a lot of spec home work are parked. I am glad I never got into that market. It never seemed that profitable when times were good. I am fortunate in that I really cant complain, I have a full Spring a head, the schedule has filled up nicely. The weather is totally uncooperative, still see snow piles visible. The cost of fuel is going to take money out of some jobs. Covering the increase in job costs is going to be a work in progress, finding out how much is enough will be difficult at first I think. It will surely be a case of those that have work and those that don't. I have found this year in particular that diversity is very important. I am hoping that the precision grading only adds to that. The more rabbits (or cats) you can pull out of your hat the busier you will be in a slow down economy. All in all......Shane is fine. I would be more fine with a newer dump truck, low boy tractor and a new side dump, and last but certainly not least a water truck. If anyone would like to contribute to Shane being more fine, please PM and I will give you my PayPal account number.:cool2:

dozerman21
04-20-2008, 08:07 PM

Well, I've had a D3K demo "reserved" for several months and it keeps getting pushed back. I think it may be on the same boat in the Bermuda Triangle that your mini-X was on. The torque numbers for this machine (many of their machines) must have actually fallen off the boat. Noone seem to know or is allowed to tell what those are.:rolleyes:

ksss
04-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Well, I've had a D3K demo "reserved" for several months and it keeps getting pushed back. I think it may be on the same boat in the Bermuda Triangle that your mini-X was on. The torque numbers for this machine (many of their machines) must have actually fallen off the boat. Noone seem to know or is allowed to tell what those are.:rolleyes:

I am sure that the hidden torque numbers are by design. Given what we know about the skid steer torque numbers, I suspect that CAT does not want to defend the low torque output. Cant say as though I blame them. With the Anti-work/stall mode on the skid steers, they are able to conceal the low torque output of this motor (skid steers, destroking pump). Dozers is probably another story. I guess they are hoping or maybe they know that the machine will produce more than the low torque rating would suggest.
Either way they don't want other OEMs beating up their sales and marketing guys by making the low output common knowledge.

qps
04-20-2008, 09:44 PM

Almost as long as waiting for the 550 to come with a factory cab...:nono:
you aint gonna like it anyways...go ahead a buy something else....I get tired of hearing his lame excuse's....you know who I mean....

dozerman21
04-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Almost as long as waiting for the 550 to come with a factory cab...:nono:
you aint gonna like it anyways...go ahead a buy something else....I get tired of hearing his lame excuse's....you know who I mean....

I will give Cat as much of a chance as Case and Deere if I demo a machine before I buy something else. No arguments on the factory cab on the 550, it's way overdue. However, I think we know how much you're going to like the Case skid demo, and I don't see you trading that 297C as soon as you did the 257B (I know the Case guy is pushing the demo, I'd take it too)

I get tired of the same excuses, buy they seem to come from allover nowadays. I'll end up going with the machine/dealership that I feel most comfortable with, and right now it's pretty up in the air. Used is still a possibility, but with low financing rates on new machines, it would have to be a smokin' deal on a used piece.

qps
04-21-2008, 07:41 AM
I will give Cat as much of a chance as Case and Deere if I demo a machine before I buy something else. No arguments on the factory cab on the 550, it's way overdue. However, I think we know how much you're going to like the Case skid demo, and I don't see you trading that 297C as soon as you did the 257B (I know the Case guy is pushing the demo, I'd take it too)

I get tired of the same excuses, buy they seem to come from allover nowadays. I'll end up going with the machine/dealership that I feel most comfortable with, and right now it's pretty up in the air. Used is still a possibility, but with low financing rates on new machines, it would have to be a smokin' deal on a used piece.

I'd like to try the new deere with the pilots sometime..excuse's from all over...that's an understatement:laugh:....good thing is when the D3 finally gets here...if he says a month...I'd count on three....the price should be so low it may be affordable...(beat him over the head with slow delivery)...gotta work him...they do us...for sure...

GMUGNIER
04-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey Guys - I bought a OEM - Laser box Blade without the receiver from BobCat, I used it for 45 mins and decided to go to a full GPS system from Trimble - If anyone is interested I would be willing to take a bit hit to let it go to a good home....

Gus

ksss
04-21-2008, 11:17 PM
The bobcat box is only single plane. Thats not a bad thing if that is what your looking for. Tell us about your GPS system.

GMUGNIER
04-22-2008, 08:25 AM
It is a Spectra with the base station rover that you can lock up in a trailer - It was expensive as hell -120K - However the D6 combined with the GPS system makes short work on big jobs.