Can anyone name the irrigation components made in China:

I believe

Toro is making sprays in China now

Hunter is making the Pro-C and mods

Irrigation Direct is all made in China

Anyone else know of any?

BrandonV
11-10-2007, 10:58 PM
i know the hunter acc's come from china too, they do put the stickers on here though as well as the decoder options

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Like the avatar. WM SL I believe is coming from China.

EagleLandscape
11-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Yes, WM SL is coming from china, alot cheaper to mfg over there, but all of their heads and nozzles, etc. are made right here in garland, TX :)

Keen
11-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Hunter SRS sprays, Hunter PS sprays, Many others I am sure...

The real question is does it matter?

irrig8r
11-11-2007, 02:49 AM
I thought Hunter SRS were made in Taiwan? At least they used to be.

Bill Hayes of Irrigation Direct says his spray bodies when they come out will be made by a co-molding plant in Taiwan.

Rain Bird had a weird little clock for a while called the HP that was made in France. Now they assemble a lot of stuff in Mexico. But I'll bet some of the electronic components are made in Asia.

Anyway, why does it matter? And how do you find out?

DO you consider it when making a purchasing decison? Or do you think your customers will?

I thought that Rain Master and Superior controllers were US made, but I can't find any claim on their websites about that. Irritrol controllers used to be, but I have no idea about where they're made now.

Maybe these companies don't make a point about it because they have different parts coming from different places, and like clothing companies, the source countries change now and then?

irrig8r
11-11-2007, 02:55 AM
Check this out. First, I guess I didn't realize Febco was part of Watts, but second, I know I've seen some Febco parts labeled as made in China. If you look at this you see they manufacture products on a global scale.

http://www.wattswater.com/pdf/f-wm.pdf

irrig8r
11-11-2007, 03:00 AM
From the Hunter site:

About Hunter: Hunter Manufacturing

Since the beginning, Hunter has prided itself on being one of the most vertically integrated manufacturers of irrigation products, with most components produced at the company’s state-of-the-art production facilities. In fact, much of the tooling, molding, manufacturing and assembly machinery is designed and built on-site by Hunter engineers.

This approach has provided a tremendous advantage by enabling the company to maintain strict quality and cost control standards. This also has made Hunter the industry benchmark when it comes to what customers care about most: durability, reliability, value, and ease of service/installation.

Today, Hunter operates manufacturing facilities in California, North Carolina, and Mexico, along with a network of international offices in Australia, England, France, Jordan, China, and Spain. Hunter Industries employs more than 1,100 people worldwide.

irrig8r
11-11-2007, 03:13 AM
BTW, did anyone else realize that Rain Master was bought by Toro?

Toro buys Calif. company
American City Business Journals | 85 days 16 hours 22 minutes ago
Lawn and garden product maker Toro Co. said Friday it acquired Rain Master Irrigation Systems for an undisclosed sum.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-11-2007, 06:40 AM
BTW, did anyone else realize that Rain Master was bought by Toro?

Toro buys Calif. company
American City Business Journals | 85 days 16 hours 22 minutes ago
Lawn and garden product maker Toro Co. said Friday it acquired Rain Master Irrigation Systems for an undisclosed sum.

Yeah I'm worried about that. I'm afraid Toro is going to ruin the best remote on the market the same way they did with the Eicon.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-11-2007, 06:47 AM
As far as China goes I don't know how to really get around it. I try to buy American as much as I can but options are limited. I have a meter key that I've had for 20 years stamped Made in USA. The meter keys I've been having to buy for my other service truck come from China. Piece of cr-p. Very flimsy brass and they just break to pieces with any force on them. I suspect the reason WM is having so much trouble getting the wireless weather monitor on the market is the logistics and quality control issues of dealing with China.

Flow Control
11-11-2007, 07:04 AM
Hunter PS heads, really?? I bet that the majority of the outdoor lighting products are made in China too. I am not bashing China at all, just curious. I am looking into going on a purchasing trip with my Uncle over the winter.

BrandonV
11-11-2007, 09:19 AM
maybe there is lead paint in the spray heads.

Wet_Boots
11-11-2007, 10:33 AM
I've installed some made-in-China RPZs, and okay so far (Watts 009)

The one imported item that always intrigued me, was ball valves made in Italy, the ones cast/forged from powdered bronze. Maybe the process was developed there.

Flow Control
11-11-2007, 03:34 PM
I've installed some made-in-China RPZs, and okay so far (Watts 009)

The one imported item that always intrigued me, was ball valves made in Italy, the ones cast/forged from powdered bronze. Maybe the process was developed there.

I was purchasing Italian made ball valves 3/4" full port for less then $3 each, but I purchased them by the hundreds. The company stopped carrying them this year.

Wet_Boots
11-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Febco used to ship their BPs with Giacomini ball valves, made in Italy with the powder-casting process, and I'll bet they have a better performance record than the Apollo, Watts, and Phelps-Dodge made-in-the-states ball valves I used for system shutoffs.

sprinklerchris
11-11-2007, 10:45 PM
My Hunter Pro-Spray 6" box says Mexico.

Keen
11-12-2007, 02:16 PM
My Hunter Pro-Spray 6" box says Mexico.

I have a box of leftover SRS 6" that are "Made in China", I think the last box of Hunter PS I saw was China also (not 100% sure)...

The Pro-Spray 6" is made in Mexico, jut like many of the the Rain Bird 1800's (other than the 4" standard that is still made in the US)

Shuvelin'
11-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Regarding the Hunter PS spray, I recently saw it running at their plant in San Marcos, CA. I'm sure the PS is definitely made in the US.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Here is my 20 year old Made in USA key and a brand new made in China bought this week. We've had three break on us this year.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Here is my 20 year old Made in USA key and a brand new made in China bought this week. We've had three break on us this year.

EagleLandscape
11-14-2007, 12:48 AM
ive noticed some of the new ones dont fit in the keyhole on the meter lid, anyone else experiencing that? Ive been having to use the screwdriver/hammer method to get em open.

irrig8r
11-14-2007, 02:28 AM

I've been trying to figure out what you use that wrench for and now I realize it's the meter key you were talking about a few posts back.

I've never seen anything like it. What we use here for a brass curb stop before the meter in a Christy concrete box is about 30" long and made of square steel tubing with a tee handle.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-14-2007, 07:40 AM
ive noticed some of the new ones dont fit in the keyhole on the meter lid, anyone else experiencing that? Ive been having to use the screwdriver/hammer method to get em open.

Yeah that is why I guard that one very carefully. Fits every box I've tried it on. If you saw the tip off the key part it will work better for you. Henry takes the dremel to his and carves it just right.

Wet_Boots
11-14-2007, 07:48 AM
We just have the five-sided bolt on meter covers.

(the bolt head is five sided - not the meter cover)