PDA

View Full Version : Gehl ct now available with presurized cabs

turboawd
11-11-2007, 01:39 AM
i was looking at the gehl site and they now have a "generation II" cab that is pressurized.
i wonder if i can retrofit mine.:rolleyes:

http://www.gehl.com/const/prodpg_ctl.html

Tigerotor77W
11-11-2007, 02:45 AM
Yup. Mustang is the same.

AWJ Services
11-11-2007, 10:33 AM
The sealing of the cab is a given but how do they actually pressurize it so that dust does not migrate in the cab?

cddva
11-11-2007, 11:17 AM
I would presume the air duct fan(s) supplying the cab create a slightly higher pressure than atmospheric pressure.....thus "pressurizing" the cab and causing any leakage to go from the inside out.

AWJ Services
11-11-2007, 11:26 AM
I would presume the air duct fan(s) supplying the cab create a slightly higher pressure than atmospheric pressure.....thus "pressurizing" the cab and causing any leakage to go from the inside out.

That would make sense but how is the question.

bobcat_ron
11-11-2007, 02:27 PM
But the pressure that builds up has to escape, all airplanes have a large hole to let the excess pressure go somewhere, MythBusters did a gun and airplane stunt once that busted the myth.

cddva
11-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Fan blade design and pitch can be set to develop a positive pressure on the discharge of the fan. I would bet we're talking a very slight positive pressure and the pressure doesn't continue to build (add to itself) due to limitations and inherent losses of the fan as well as probable cab leakage. It would
only require a slightly positive cab pressure to keep the dust out.

SiteSolutions
11-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Fan blade design and pitch can be set to develop a positive pressure on the discharge of the fan.

Ummm, for any pump to work, be it an air pump, oil pump, water pump, or just a fan, there has to be a pressure differential across it. That what makes the fluid (air) move.

I would bet we're talking a very slight positive pressure and the pressure doesn't continue to build (add to itself) due to limitations and inherent losses of the fan as well as probable cab leakage. It would
only require a slightly positive cab pressure to keep the dust out.

After visiting the web site, it kinda looks like a lot of hype and trying to jump on the CAT bandwagon... using CAT's buzz to sell Gehl's barely rebranded Takeuchi loaders. If you read between the lines, it sounds like they put a little extra weatherstripping on the door and rigged it so you can pull in outside air only through the fan, thus "pressurizing" the cab. Only if the filter isn't super good, you'll be sucking in dust too. And what happens when it is 105 degrees out? Pull in outside air only and try to cool it down to a pleasant temp? You can recirculate the inside air to get colder temps, just like "Max A/C" on your car. But then you're not "pressurized" anymore. Maybe I'm just a cynic but it sounds like these guys are just trying to get a few sales on CAT's coat tails with something "engineered" in somebody's driveway with some duct tape and rubber gasket material.

Construct'O
11-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Ummm, for any pump to work, be it an air pump, oil pump, water pump, or just a fan, there has to be a pressure differential across it. That what makes the fluid (air) move.

After visiting the web site, it kinda looks like a lot of hype and trying to jump on the CAT bandwagon... using CAT's buzz to sell Gehl's barely rebranded Takeuchi loaders. If you read between the lines, it sounds like they put a little extra weatherstripping on the door and rigged it so you can pull in outside air only through the fan, thus "pressurizing" the cab. Only if the filter isn't super good, you'll be sucking in dust too. And what happens when it is 105 degrees out? Pull in outside air only and try to cool it down to a pleasant temp? You can recirculate the inside air to get colder temps, just like "Max A/C" on your car. But then you're not "pressurized" anymore. Maybe I'm just a cynic but it sounds like these guys are just trying to get a few sales on CAT's coat tails with something "engineered" in somebody's driveway with some duct tape and rubber gasket material.

I agree the word pressized is just that(more or less a word! Cat has used that word on there dozer cabs way back when.Mainly like you described it.It is a combination of the fan sucking in fresh air from outside,and the tightness of the sealed cab.

It has more to do with the tightness of the cab then anything! how well it is sealed from the dust getting in.

The c series cab is super from what i saw.Very well sealed and no gaps between cab and frame and other places.The cab looked to be build as a complete unit(unibody) from the rest of the machine.Making it completely sealed.

Thats my take!!!!!! and i have and have had Cat dozer with pressized cab.Believe me it is more to do with the the tightness and how they are built,sealed, then the fan system.Good luck:usflag:

AWJ Services
11-12-2007, 11:27 AM
The Takeuchi cab leaks between the upper cab and the body.
The Takeuchi door leaks very little.
It also pulls air from the outside for the AC.

qps
11-12-2007, 04:30 PM
I demoed both back during the summer..they are not the same...gehl's is a knockoff if you ask me...I own a 297C and it makes my ears pop at times...removing the door really isn't an option...it is a pain to put it back on....gehl's cab was HUGE....to big...if that's possilbe.....and stalled WAY TO MUCH....not for me.....

YellowDogSVC
11-12-2007, 08:50 PM
i'm hoping to see a race for pressurizing cabs. BOBCAT if you are reading, follow suit soon. Some of us are getting too old, and too sick from all the dust here in hot, dusty Texas!

Personally, I'd love to see the positive pressure leak to the outside negative pressure. I"d be sweeping dirt out all day because I know that dirt will still get in the cab from my boots and when I open the door.

turboawd
11-12-2007, 10:14 PM
i found more info on the mustang site:

http://www.mustangmfg.com/mustangmfg/press_room/display.php?release=35.0

10/2/2007

OWATONNA, Minn. — Mustang Manufacturing Company has upgraded its air
conditioning/heater system to create an optional pressurized cab for each of its three current
compact track loader models – MTL16, MTL20 and MTL25. Mustang track loader cabs
equipped with this option now have pressurization similar to modern, upscale agricultural tractor
cabs, virtually eliminating entry of dust, dirt and debris. Noise is also kept at a minimum, making
the environment even more conducive to productivity.
The Generation II Air-Conditioning/Heater included in the cab option is comprised of updated
interior ducting, featuring six new adjustable louvers allowing the operator to control the amount
and direction of the air flow. New dual, outside air intakes, working in conjunction with inside recirculation
filters, minimize the dust and dirt that can enter the cab, which keeps clean air
flowing to the operator. Maintenance of the filters is easy, as the operator monitors air filter
cleanliness and cleans whenever required.
To maintain optimum visibility during cold weather, there’s a special defroster vent located near
the front cab door. When re-circulation of air is needed, an inside cab air vent can be opened
fully to allow in-cab air re-circulation for faster cab warming.
“Mustang is always searching for new ways to make operating our equipment more
comfortable,” said Doug Snorek, Mustang marketing manager. “Track loader operators often
find themselves in dusty and dirty work environments, so we gave the track loader cab top
priority.

RockSet N' Grade
11-15-2007, 02:01 AM
I just bought a Gehl5640 a bit ago with a cab with AC. I am not really excited by their current AC system.......in fact, I have to sadly say it sucks big time. It was so piss poor this summer, I had them come out and recharge it twice thinking it was just out of juice........to my dismay and chagrin, it was functioning "properly". Anything Gehl does from this point has got to be better than what they have now which is barely better than a fan. And who ever chose dark grey for a cab color ought to go back to school and learn some basic color principals..........i.e.: dark colors absorb heat and light colors reflect heat. Maybe a light grey or white top or a white cab........but dark grey which is pretty darn close to black.........come on fellas at the drawing board.......Think! And I thought that by getting a cab, I would stay clean inside the cab.........this SOB leaks like a sieve and is dusty and dirty by days end. Looks like I am going to go around and use magic foam and caulking to seal all the little openings.

qps
11-15-2007, 08:13 AM
I just bought a Gehl5640 a bit ago with a cab with AC. I am not really excited by their current AC system.......in fact, I have to sadly say it sucks big time. It was so piss poor this summer, I had them come out and recharge it twice thinking it was just out of juice........to my dismay and chagrin, it was functioning "properly". Anything Gehl does from this point has got to be better than what they have now which is barely better than a fan. And who ever chose dark grey for a cab color ought to go back to school and learn some basic color principals..........i.e.: dark colors absorb heat and light colors reflect heat. Maybe a light grey or white top or a white cab........but dark grey which is pretty darn close to black.........come on fellas at the drawing board.......Think! And I thought that by getting a cab, I would stay clean inside the cab.........this SOB leaks like a sieve and is dusty and dirty by days end. Looks like I am going to go around and use magic foam and caulking to seal all the little openings.

sorry to hear that, when I tried a CTL 70 I also wasn't impressed with the cab and a/c system, on a positive note I've ran my cat 297c in very dusty conditions (harley rake) with no dust in the cab and a/c works great, you could hang meat in the darn thing:laugh:

AWJ Services
11-15-2007, 09:02 AM
sorry to hear that, when I tried a CTL 70 I also wasn't impressed with the cab and a/c system, on a positive note I've ran my cat 297c in very dusty conditions (harley rake) with no dust in the cab and a/c works great, you could hang meat in the darn thing

I like the new Cabs on the Cat machines.
They are the best in the industry.

Takeuchi sends there machines too Gehl/Mustang without cab enclosures from my understanding.
So all 3 can have different types of AC systems.

My Takeuchi ac works decent.There is a cab seal issue between the top half and bottom half of the cab and when it gets dust in it it coats the coils on the ac and it blocks air flow which cuts down on cooling efficiency.
I am going too work on some upgrades over the winter too help with noise and dust control.

YellowDogSVC
11-15-2007, 09:45 AM
And who ever chose dark grey for a cab color ought to go back to school and learn some basic color principals..........i.e.: dark colors absorb heat and light colors reflect heat. Maybe a light grey or white top or a white cab........but dark grey which is pretty darn close to black.........come on fellas at the drawing board........

Try painting your cab top white. I use appliance enamel and it holds up well. I even painted over half my moon roof with fusion plastic paint. Helps reflect light. I have noticed the top side is cool to the touch wheras it used to be hot when it was factory black.

YellowDogSVC
11-15-2007, 09:48 AM
I thought I had my new machine sealed up well. I was wrong. Leaks dirt horribly compared to my 2006 model. I am very unhappy with that aspect. AC is adequate on warm days, inadequate on very hot days. I grinded for 5 hours yesterday and was covered in dust. Like I said before, time for manufacturers to step up to the plate now that CAT took the initiative.

dozerman21
11-15-2007, 08:17 PM
RSG and Yellow- I can see what you're saying about the black cab absorbing heat, but I really think it comes down to the A/C system and ventilation as far as keeping the cab cool. Most manufacturers have black cabs/roofs, including Cat's C-Series which guys are saying they cool great. I think my Deere cools pretty good. When I use the A/C, I usually don't have to use the highest level until it's 90 degrees or more. In those really high temps the A/C won't blast me out, but it keeps me plenty cool. Vent placement is key too. Mine are behind my head so that helps. My Bobcat had the vents around the legs so they were somewhat blocked and didn't cool nearly as good overall. No complaints at all on the heat... it's hotter than hades with that dude on high. I do wish there was a little more control on the temp. It seems like it's either hot or cold, not a lot of in between. Of course my cab needs some dustproofing like all of the others not named Cat. I'm also going to work on it this winter with some weatherstripping.

Yellow- Did you notice any difference inside the machine after you painted the roof?

SiteSolutions
11-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Try painting your cab top white. I use appliance enamel and it holds up well. I even painted over half my moon roof with fusion plastic paint. Helps reflect light. I have noticed the top side is cool to the touch wheras it used to be hot when it was factory black.

You mean "Bobcat Charcoal":rolleyes:

There are a couple guys around here that paint the top of their cabs; they just buy cans of the white factory touchup paint from the dealer. I am considering it for my machine; the A/C was fine in moderate temps but not Alabama in August.

And the reason Cat's big machines and now their C series work even with black cabs is because they are engineered to do so! I guess the Bobcat A/C works fine year-round in North Dakota...

qps
11-15-2007, 10:15 PM
I like the new Cabs on the Cat machines.
They are the best in the industry.

Takeuchi sends there machines too Gehl/Mustang without cab enclosures from my understanding.
So all 3 can have different types of AC systems.

My Takeuchi ac works decent.There is a cab seal issue between the top half and bottom half of the cab and when it gets dust in it it coats the coils on the ac and it blocks air flow which cuts down on cooling efficiency.
I am going too work on some upgrades over the winter too help with noise and dust control.

I believe that to be true, on the gehl ctl70 the a/c radiator was mounted on the rear of the machine...just waiting for a tree limb to to smash it...not a good ideal me thinks,,,

YellowDogSVC
11-17-2007, 11:10 PM
RSG and Yellow- I can see what you're saying about the black cab absorbing heat,

Yellow- Did you notice any difference inside the machine after you painted the roof?

Yes. It isn't a scientific measurement but I feel cooler especially since I covered part of my moon roof. I need to cut back on some of the radiant heat through back windows too. Wish side windows were thicker or had a slight tint. Too much glass in those cabs lets in the uv which heats me right up or so it seems.
vent placement in bobcat is dreadful. My arse and legs get cold (knees lock up) but I have trouble moving air up. Since cold air is more dense than cool air, it hangs lower and keeps my love handles cool. I use a fan clipped to knob on air return to push cool air back around the cab when it gets hot outside. This time of year is only number 1 or 2 on the fan speed to keep cool but summer can be a challenge. Good thing about Bobcat AC is that it is protected well but if they had a better sealing cab (my new K series is a real sad sealer compared to my other k series I just sold) the AC would get less dust pulled into the evaporator fins and the drains wouldn't clog as much. I was lazy today so that means I go to work monday with a dusty cab but looking to do some more sealing on my cab over the holidays. Bobcat, if you are reading this, dust DOES get sucked through lights and behind instrument panels and on the rops there are small openings near the top of the cab where side glass and expanded metal meets the front of the cab. Those openings do suck dust in and it goes behind instrument panels too. I confirmed those leaks this week. How the heck they leak is beyond me. Looks tight but it is ever so slight enough to let fine dust in.

YellowDogSVC
11-17-2007, 11:17 PM
You mean "Bobcat Charcoal":rolleyes:

There are a couple guys around here that paint the top of their cabs; they just buy cans of the white factory touchup paint from the dealer. I am considering it for my machine; the A/C was fine in moderate temps but not Alabama in August.

And the reason Cat's big machines and now their C series work even with black cabs is because they are engineered to do so! I guess the Bobcat A/C works fine year-round in North Dakota...

I guess any tough enamel would work. Maybe even a metallic silver or chrome.:)
Bobcat has some work to do. I imagine they will be tight lipped, though, and some folks who are frustrated will move on to the other brand and get stuck in that machine for a while because bobcat won't give a press release that says help is on the way. Right now, on paper, CAT C is most ergonomic machine out there so the others need to look at that and ask their engineers how they can compete.

A little birdie told me that things were in the works that would help me want to stay loyal to bobcat but no specifics were given... too many secrets if you ask me. I have invested in 9 or 10 machines in the last 10 years and they were all Bobcat large frame loaders. I feel like I deserve some tease to keep me in the orange and white because when I am coughing up the dust, CAT yellow starts to look real good. Like I said in another post. I thought I had my cab sealed up pretty good. That was my other machine and unfortunately I sold it. I love my new K series s300 but the cab leaks dust BAD. Worse than my last 2 machines put toghether. I wasn't sure about it because it wasn't that dusty in TExas all summer but now it's dry as a bone and the cab leaks!! Am I speaking LOUD enough? CAB LEAKS DUST BAD! :)

SiteSolutions
11-18-2007, 09:24 AM
I have seen several around here with tinted windows, too. I'm planning to do that whenever I have time and money at the same time.