PDA

View Full Version : Design issues?

jimmyburg
11-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Went out this weekend to do a small repair job. customer asked me if i could give her a design of her system. I told her i did not install the system but could provide a head and valve location. so I turned on the system did the head placement and broke out the 521 and found the valves, I had drawn down the everything and had given her the design, she looked at me and said "where are all the pipes" i looked at her and said "there's know way i can trace the the laterals unless i dig up the whole yard". I asked here to contact the company for the asbuilt and she told me they are no longer in business. then she told of how great of a price they had gotten on the system. the contractor told them to pull a homeowner permit and the would install the system for less. after hearing that, I told her, well the only way to get all the lines in the drawing is to replace the whole system, she looked at me like i was stupid and and said the system is only one year old, I then told her that while doing the repair i encountered a lot of sch40 pipe. and showed her the flaws in her system of not performing correctly. I normally do not criticize someones system in front of the customer, but she asked for my opioion. what would have ya'll have done?

hoskm01
11-12-2007, 10:15 AM
She asked, tell her like it is. Theyre not in business anymore anyway, if the system aint performin, you should have some fix-it-up work comin at ya. Why didnt you just get out your pipe locator and find every freakin lateral in the yard?;)

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-12-2007, 10:41 AM
always tell the truth.

Wet_Boots
11-12-2007, 11:39 AM
You can always 'color the truth' in a way that doesn't place blame on a customer for being an idiot for selecting the wrong contractor. You might be surprised what the customer response can be, when the obvious "What a mess!" is replaced by something less critical, and this gentler approach doesn't prevent a repairman from recommending improvements.

jimmyburg
11-12-2007, 04:16 PM
She asked, tell her like it is. Theyre not in business anymore anyway, if the system aint performin, you should have some fix-it-up work comin at ya. Why didnt you just get out your pipe locator and find every freakin lateral in the yard?;)

I charge $80.00 per hour, and i was there 4 hours she was already made about the bill but she new in advance about my prices.

jimmyburg
11-12-2007, 04:21 PM
You can always 'color the truth' in a way that doesn't place blame on a customer for being an idiot for selecting the wrong contractor. You might be surprised what the customer response can be, when the obvious "What a mess!" is replaced by something less critical, and this gentler approach doesn't prevent a repairman from recommending improvements.

your right, i just didnt start bad mouthing the contractor and the system, i was gentle about the whole thing. she called me back today and asked for a quote today, i already now she cant afford one of my systems, but told her i would come by tomorrow and we'll talk about it.

Kiril
11-13-2007, 07:25 AM
Don't have a problem criticizing other peoples work in front of clients. I try to do it in a kind way, but crap work is crap work, and should be pointed out. Sometimes ignorance is not bliss.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-13-2007, 07:36 AM
I start off with the sentence " I don't know the factors involved in ending with this system, but for what you are trying to do it's going to need some major modifications." I don't spend a lot of time criticizing just go straight to the point of what i'm going to do with it. By the way I discourage customers from trying to get me to draw them an as built since the pipe runs can't really be determined. I tell them their irrigation service dollars can be better spent.

Kiril
11-13-2007, 07:55 AM
I start off with the sentence " I don't know the factors involved in ending with this system, but for what you are trying to do it's going to need some major modifications." I don't spend a lot of time criticizing just go straight to the point of what i'm going to do with it. By the way I discourage customers from trying to get me to draw them an as built since the pipe runs can't really be determined. I tell them their irrigation service dollars can be better spent.

My "as built" comes in the form of pictures. :clapping:

Dirty Water
11-13-2007, 11:18 AM
My only 2c is that just because there was SCH 40 pipe in the system, does not mean it is a crappy system.

Up north here, most people use SCH 40 because plowing class pipe in the rocks causes too many hairline fractures. You just need to size it right.

jimmyburg
11-13-2007, 02:34 PM
My only 2c is that just because there was SCH 40 pipe in the system, does not mean it is a crappy system.

Up north here, most people use SCH 40 because plowing class pipe in the rocks causes too many hairline fractures. You just need to size it right.

your right, but the main and latterals were 3/4 no one inch or half, the valve i replaced was a one inch with 3/4 reducers.

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-13-2007, 03:13 PM
This past year I started to say stuff like:

"I would not have put the system in this way"

" I would of hung the controller in the garage instead of the chimney"

timeless classics such as
"You are going to need a lot of work to get this running efficiently"

"We can do this in stages" (costing upwards of 500$ a wack)

and everyones favorite:
"You don't have enough money to keep me here"

"We are all booked up right now, call (your hack competitor)they do good work"

PurpHaze
11-13-2007, 11:21 PM
There are professionals, and then there are http://www.websmileys.com/sm/animal/1132.gif ... 'nough said... back to geocaching and the Buddhist monastery.

DanaMac
11-14-2007, 07:21 AM
back to geocaching and the Buddhist monastery.

How's that going? the caching, not the monastery. :) I have thought of doing it as well. Especially winter time when bored.

PurpHaze
11-14-2007, 08:06 AM
How's that going? the caching, not the monastery. :) I have thought of doing it as well. Especially winter time when bored.

The wife and I are having a blast with it. It allows us a lot of time together for communication, etc. yet we also cache without each other so we get space at other times. We've been to some real interesting areas that we didn't know even existed.

I've also started using GPS coordinates on some of my CAD drawings to document valve box locations and other things. That's working out well also.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Hear thar guys. We've been traded for alone time and caching.:cry:

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-14-2007, 08:46 AM
I miss Purple haze posting..

but as long as he is H/H im Happy for him.

hoskm01
11-14-2007, 09:01 AM
I miss Purple haze posting..

but as long as he is H/H im Happy for him.
Ditto. Maybe his wife could use one of those T-shirts that you were looking for so he could better split his time.

Mike Leary
11-14-2007, 09:36 AM
There are professionals, and then there are http://www.websmileys.com/sm/animal/1132.gif ... 'nough said... back to geocaching and the Buddhist monastery.

Yup, good to hear from you Hayes, wondered how things were.:)

PurpHaze
11-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Hear thar guys. We've been traded for alone time and caching.:cry:

LOL... We get out into some pretty secluded areas. Wine, cheese, crackers and even some fun in the bushes from time to time. Fortunately we both are aware what poison oak looks like. Aint too shabby for a couple of 50+ kids. :)

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
LOL... We get out into some pretty secluded areas. Wine, cheese, crackers and even some fun in the bushes from time to time. Fortunately we both are aware what poison oak looks like. Aint too shabby for a couple of 50+ kids. :)

THAT'S ENOUGH. Check in ever so often purp. :waving:

Kiril
11-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Hey purp, was wondering where you had gotten too. I've considered dabbling with geocaching, just need more time. What GPS unit are you using?

Mike Leary
11-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Hey purp, was wondering where you had gotten too. I've considered dabbling with geocaching, just need more time. What GPS unit are you using?

I think he's having more fun with the wife, cheeze & wine to answer.:)

Kiril
11-15-2007, 10:43 PM
I think he's having more fun with the wife, cheeze & wine to answer.:)

If only I could say the same. :cry: :cry:

hoskm01
11-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Man, 16 and under humor any more on here huh? EDIT EDIT EDIT