PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old equipment?

Mowtown Mike
11-13-2007, 08:35 AM
I have been elected the new highway superintendent for a small town. I would like to clean up the garage area. It looks like a abandon factory. What can I do with old equipment?
For instance: I would like to get rid of a 1-1970? cat bulldozer (large), not running, 2- 1950's rollers, about 10 large snow plows. 3 old salters (large), 2 old oskosh snowplow trucks. Plus other metal material. I know I can scrap them but are they worth anything more than just the price of steel and iron. E-bay? any collectors might be intersested?

Joe74
11-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I know a lot of towns around here either put it up for bid in a local paper; or they have an auction if they have many items. The latter sounds better in your case.

AWJ Services
11-13-2007, 09:38 AM
You can run it on Ebay as parts machines or list it in mach traders.
There are many people with these older machines who would love too get them for parts.
If they do not seel send them off for scarp.
Here metal is bringing 7 + dollars a 100.
On a bulldozer it could be 2000 dollars plus scrap value.I would doubt you wpould get that much by saling it outright.

tallrick
11-13-2007, 11:27 AM
I wish you were closer, I would love to take on a classic dozer project!

bobcat_ron
11-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Google search RedPower forums, there are some hard core collectors that could point you in the right direction.

DBL
11-13-2007, 12:58 PM
like joe74 said an auction seems most logical for a lot of equipment if it were one or two peices closed bids would be fine

Dirt Digger2
11-13-2007, 02:43 PM
put it on ebay or have an auction company come in an auction it off. or if theres anything good (i need a welder and torch set, transfer tank for diesel, and other shop tools..i'm always looking for new crap) let me know...i'll buy it

Dirt Digger2
11-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Tom....i sent you a PM

Greybeard
11-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Junk or not, it's public property, and I've seen some guys get in hot water for improper disposal of stuff like this, usually because somebody else has an old grudge against them. I would file some kind of formal request with whoever runs the town, and get some direction from the top. They probably have some rules and regs about sealed bid sales or auctions of old stuff, and maybe some other departments like the schools are ready to junk some things, too. Good luck.

grassmanvt
11-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Auctions international doe a lot of municipal auctions, I believe they are based in ny, they do lots of web based auctions or if there is enough stuff they do some live auctions. E-bay works well sometimes. Most of the municipal stuff around here doesn't stick around to get that old. It goes to auction or sealed bid in the local paper. I am actually trying to buy a cat loader from a local city, was hoping I had the inside track to get it before it went out to bid.

Gravel Rat
11-15-2007, 08:34 PM
You can always powerwash them clean them up then paint them off to Ritchie Bros they go.

What kind of Cat is it ?

If it is a Cat brand machine doesn't matter what age or shape its in you will get a good price for it.

The old plows are scrap if they are rusted out same with the salt spreaders with the old plow trucks if they run and are 4x4 they will sell.

The old rollers if one can be made running and its small enough turf farms usually look for old smooth drum rollers.

What is junk in somebodies mind is gold to sombody else. Look at Joey (King of Obsolete) and the old Cats he uses.

bobcat_ron
11-15-2007, 08:38 PM
King of Obsolete rules.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-15-2007, 08:40 PM
we need pics of the iron

Mowtown Mike
11-16-2007, 08:38 AM
I take office in January, so I am getting ideas now. The garage is in sad shape. No good tools to speak of, everything needs to be replaced. Jacks, air tools, hand tools, it is ridiculous how the garage is run. I want to get the most out of the old trucks and machinery, and buy new, much needed tools.

I think I will advertise heavily and hope for a large turn out. Most likely wont happen until spring. I will definitely take picture and let you guys know what I do.
I should change my name to Superintendent Mike or maybe Super Mike! Do you think the title has gone to my head?

MarcSmith
11-16-2007, 08:41 AM
get in touch with scrap metal recyclers as well....thats a lot of iron, and if you can't sell it...you might be able to find a scrap dealer who wants it...

ksss
11-18-2007, 12:33 AM
If you don't have a written policy dictating how used equipment is handled you should write one. That way it is done the same way every time. If there is any hint of impropriety your new name will be Unemployed Mike or if you missmanage public funds how about Jail Bird Mike.

DBL
11-18-2007, 08:49 AM
so what are you going to do with your personal stuff are you going to stay in the landscaping and plowing business

murray83
11-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Most small towns here have open tenders on used equipment highest bidder wins,would save you on big auction fees and such,and with scrap iron at its highest prices the time is now to sell any junk steel and put it back into the shop or your equipment.

Good luck on the sale and the new job.

GravelyNut
11-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Junk or not, it's public property, and I've seen some guys get in hot water for improper disposal of stuff like this, usually because somebody else has an old grudge against them. I would file some kind of formal request with whoever runs the town, and get some direction from the top. They probably have some rules and regs about sealed bid sales or auctions of old stuff, and maybe some other departments like the schools are ready to junk some things, too. Good luck.

And some Gov'ts require that not for profits get first chance at items also. So as Greybeard said, check with the higher ups and get it in writing.