PDA

View Full Version : CSA Rated 12/2

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-13-2007, 11:35 AM
I am looking for a technical specification on the jacket thickness of CSA / ULc rated 12/2 landscape lighting cable.

We have two types of 12/2 cable available here in Ontario. One is CSA rated and the jacket is much thicker then the cable that is not CSA rated. The copper inside is the same in both cables.

If you have any information on this please help me out.... Also, if you know of a Manufacturer of the CSA rated 12/2 cable I would appreciate their contact information.

Thanks and have a great day.

JoeyD
11-13-2007, 01:09 PM
So here is what I have found so far for you James.

Intermatic is the only manufacturer making CSA listed cable. Not to be confused with the only manufacturer making CANADIAN approved cable but specificlly CSA approved.

The CSA approval has nothing to do with jacket thickness. The cable you may be comparing the CSA approved cable too may not be an approved cable at all and may just be thinner. The testing procedures are what determine an approval not the thickness. You could have a thick jacket but becuase of the quality of the PVC it may not have the insulation say as a thinner 100% virgin non reground PVC cable.

I have a friend many of us know and you will meet named Vince Nolletti who works for Paige and is very knowledgable when it comes to cable. He would have no problem with you contacting him and he could advise you on this subject in far greater depth then I or most here could.

I will PM you with his contact info. Please post your findings.

Hope this helps,

Joey D.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks Joey.

I am just beginning the learning curve on this one and will contact Vince later this week.

We have a safety/standards situation developing here in Ontario and it would appear that we are going to be needing to use only CSA certified LV Lighting cable in all installations very soon.

I have found one product that is available that is 12/2 and CSA approved but it actually makes use of different specifications of stranding. As opposed to using 65 strands of copper at 0.010 dia each, this stuff uses 25 strands of 0.030. It is still technically 12ga cable, but I am wondering what the fewer strands of thicker diameter copper will do to voltage drop calculations.

Keep an eye out on this development because if history is any indication, and if the ESA and the CEC adopt this as policy and code, you can bet that your jurisdiction will not be far behind.

JoeyD
11-13-2007, 05:52 PM
"I have found one product that is available that is 12/2 and CSA approved but it actually makes use of different specifications of stranding. As opposed to using 65 strands of copper at 0.010 dia each, this stuff uses 25 strands of 0.030. It is still technically 12ga cable, but I am wondering what the fewer strands of thicker diameter copper will do to voltage drop calculations."

I dont think it will do much. When you look at solid wire vs. stranded the change is so minimal that you cant even tell. I dont know that it will effect the resistance all that much going to fewer larger strands.

JoeyD
11-13-2007, 05:55 PM
not sure if this will help or not???

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-13-2007, 06:00 PM
not sure if this will help or not???

Thanks Joey!

ChampionLS
11-14-2007, 04:53 AM
Intermatic, Inc. Does not manufacture their cable. They use American Wire and Cable.

Paige wire is just up the street from me. We use their 12/2 for everything. Attached is a PDF on it.

Both manufacturers cable is UL and cULus listed. If you have any doubts about wire or cable you are using, look closely at the insulation. The specs and ratings *MUST* be imprinted on it. If you see a letter "E" followed by a number, that is the wire manufacturer identifier. You can look this number up directly on Underwriters Laboratory's website.