PDA

View Full Version : Alarm light on controller

Squirter
11-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Can anyone tell me why I am seeing an alarm light illuminated on my controller panel? I have a new irrigation system that was installed in September, '07 and the light was never on during the time/weeks/month(s) I was using the system.

Approximately 2 weeks ago, my contractor came out to the house to blow out the system for winter. Since then, I haven't had a need to open the door to the control panel until yesterday when I had to reset the day/date (power outage). This is when I noticed the red light. Is it normal for the light to come on when the system has been shut down during winterization?

Should I be concerned about anything being wrong such that I need to call the contractor?

Oh yeah....it is a Rainbird controller. I think it is the ESP model....esp100??? Whatever model number it is, I don't think it was terribly expensive as this is a rather simple 7 zone system. If you need specifics, let me know and I'll get the model #. Thank you for your help!!!

irritation
11-13-2007, 04:26 PM
I think the light will come on if there is no start time..... ESP-Modular.

hoskm01
11-13-2007, 04:51 PM
The light will come on if you have a sensor and it suspends the program, you have a short in wiring/valve or you have a programming error. Depending on how the timer was turned off, it could just be telling you that the timer isnt running.

Squirter
11-13-2007, 07:06 PM
First off, my controller is inside the garage so when the contractor came out to winterize, he DID NOT have access to it. Therefore, whatever he did....he did outside. If I recall, I probably had the controller switched to the off position at the time of winterization because we had been getting rain and there was no need to run the system. However, it was all ready to run....all I had to do was turn the switch to automatic and I had start times/days programmed.

Sensor??? Yes, I have a rain sensor. But, once again, I had the controller switched to the off position when he came out to winterize and it hasn't been moved from "off".

Thanks again for your replies. Hope I'm not being a pain in the Ars.

irritation
11-13-2007, 07:23 PM
whatever he did....he did outside.

We do it all the time, open the valves manually to do our work. I doubt anything he did caused that light to come on. It's might be the rain sensor which will come on even when the switch is off.

Wet_Boots
11-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Read your controller manual. Twice.

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-13-2007, 07:57 PM
unplug that sheet.

irritation
11-13-2007, 08:19 PM
unplug that sheet.

Gotta keep that Ni-Cad charged.

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Gotta keep that Ni-Cad charged.

it will live.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Clear it and see if it comes back. Is anything showing up in the display? Better to keep it plugged in.

Squirter
11-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Fim,

I will attempt to clear the alarm (after following Wet Boots instructions). Geez, was hoping to avoid this needless exercise (tee-hee) and simply ask you pro's for a quick answer/fix. I don't know what I was thinking...but it my mind, I was merely feeding discussion material to the forum. Thought a guy like Wet would jump on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich. Oh well, he is right, I should read the darn book <yawn>.

As for what is being displayed, I'll have to get back to you on that one. I'm presently away from the computer...as they say. I'm thinking the rain sensor suggestion makes sense. Get rain...get alarm light, even when in the off position. Hmmmmm.

P.S. I'm really not worried there is a problem with my system. It was working perfectly. I just don't want to do harm to it by leaving an alarm light "on" over the winter.

hoskm01
11-14-2007, 10:11 AM
The light will come on if you have a sensor and it suspends the program

Sensor??? Yes, I have a rain sensor.

we had been getting rain

What part of this doesn't make sense?

DanaMac
11-14-2007, 10:26 AM
See if the display reads MV Err. The ESP has been notoious for giving a master valve error even if the MV is not installed and nothing hooked to it. Reset it on the back of the panel and all should be fine..... if this MV Err is the issue.

I have another ESP that acted weird, with some rather oddball problems. Will try to post this later.

zman9119
11-14-2007, 10:56 AM
What part of this doesn't make sense?

You forgot to use an ellipsis when you quoted. Now that doesn't make sense to me...

:hammerhead: Sorry, too much free time this morning.

.mz

hoskm01
11-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Do I do that too much? Its just that everything seems to have more to it...

I think the ellipsis will replace the period in the English language shortly...

Critical Care
11-14-2007, 12:36 PM
If the readout is displaying errors with numerous zones, even errors with nonexistant zones and master valves, then there could be the possiblility that when the valves were manually turned on to winterize the system the wiring may have been "disturbed". It doesn't take much of a poor connection, such as a loose wire nut on the common wire bundle, to make the ESP go screwy.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-14-2007, 06:31 PM
See if the display reads MV Err. The ESP has been notoious for giving a master valve error even if the MV is not installed and nothing hooked to it. Reset it on the back of the panel and all should be fine..... if this MV Err is the issue.

I have another ESP that acted weird, with some rather oddball problems. Will try to post this later.

They had a recall on this issue Dana. A soldering issue on the back plate so replacing the panel won't solve it.

Jason Rose
11-14-2007, 06:37 PM
If the readout is displaying errors with numerous zones, even errors with nonexistant zones and master valves, then there could be the possiblility that when the valves were manually turned on to winterize the system the wiring may have been "disturbed". It doesn't take much of a poor connection, such as a loose wire nut on the common wire bundle, to make the ESP go screwy.

Good to know... I have a lawn customer with one of these, it will work one time just fine, maybe two, then it throws the "Err MV, Err 1, and so on, thru all zones. I can reset the thing and then it works fine once or twice again. Need to get ahold of the customer (lives out of state) and have them get the irrigation contractor back out to replace it!

Squirter
11-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Well gang, I'm happy to report the problem went away. When I started this thread, I tried to indicate there was a brief power outage in the neighborhood which made me think to open the door on the controller to reset the clock (even tho the system has been winterized and I'm done watering this season). It was at this time I noticed the red alarm light. Anyway, I reset the clock (day/time) and didn't pay alot of attention to any error message. All I could see was the red light was still on after reset. So, I closed the door and decided to ask you pro's what I should do.

Went home last night to see what, if any error message was displayed and to my surprise, the red light was OFF and everything seemed to be back to normal (display says "off"). So.....if I were to guess, the red alarm light became lit because of the power outage??? Although the light didn't immediately turn off when I reset the clock, it was off when I checked it last night....so, I guess this was a "false alarm"??? Thanks for your thoughts and I hope I haven't worn out my welcome should I need additional help in the future...as an alternative to reading the manual <wink>.

hoskm01
11-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Well gang, I'm happy to report the problem went away. When I started this thread, I tried to indicate there was a brief power outage in the neighborhood which made me think to open the door on the controller to reset the clock (even tho the system has been winterized and I'm done watering this season). It was at this time I noticed the red alarm light. Anyway, I reset the clock (day/time) and didn't pay alot of attention to any error message. All I could see was the red light was still on after reset. So, I closed the door and decided to ask you pro's what I should do.

Went home last night to see what, if any error message was displayed and to my surprise, the red light was OFF and everything seemed to be back to normal (display says "off"). So.....if I were to guess, the red alarm light became lit because of the power outage??? Although the light didn't immediately turn off when I reset the clock, it was off when I checked it last night....so, I guess this was a "false alarm"??? Thanks for your thoughts and I hope I haven't worn out my welcome should I need additional help in the future...as an alternative to reading the manual <wink>.
Come by anytime!

Did the rain stop?

Mike Leary
11-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Come by anytime!

Did the rain stop?

I love coming in late to some of these threads!:dizzy:

irrig8r
11-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Come by anytime!

Did the rain stop?

Priceless.

:dancing:

irrig8r
11-15-2007, 11:26 AM
They had a recall on this issue Dana. A soldering issue on the back plate so replacing the panel won't solve it.

I had two callbacks on one ESP-M clock with these symptoms earlier this year. I stopped using the clock because of it.

The manufacture date was not within the recall period. I did a hard reset each time. I should get back to the customer and see if she's still having problems.

hoskm01
11-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Priceless.

:dancing:
I give up.

Mike Leary
11-15-2007, 06:02 PM
I give up.

My people will be in contact to buy your business.

Wet_Boots
11-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Y'know, a red light is so 1980's ~ why not use voice-chip technology and upgrade the alarm indicators?Danger!!
Warning!!
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:wW1tuhpTULrnPM:http://www.cshobbies.com/images/Lost%2520in%2520Space%2520keychain.jpg

Mike Leary
11-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Y'know, a red light is so 1980's ~ why not use voice-chip technology and upgrade the alarm indicators?

::note to next big takeover of irrigation systems, hack into Boot's site and
send all alarms to him, preferably in the middle of the night.::

hoskm01
11-15-2007, 07:22 PM
My people will be in contact to buy your business.
Are you sure? You would actually have to work 12 months here.

DanaMac
11-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Are you sure? You would actually have to work 12 months here.

That be a toughie for me. need my down time :sleeping:

Mike Leary
11-15-2007, 07:38 PM

Down time is good, that's when I'd go back up north in the spring.

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-15-2007, 07:42 PM

if you can make the $$ year round why not

Mike Leary
11-15-2007, 07:50 PM
if you can make the $$ year round why not

Why?.......:dizzy:

hoskm01
11-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Why?.......:dizzy:
I should really take my "winter" in the summer and stay inside. The skin melts sometimes in that schitt.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-15-2007, 08:20 PM
I should really take my "winter" in the summer and stay inside. The skin melts sometimes in that schitt.

Ditto... I'd take a 25% paycut to work Sept-April only. Every thing is so easy going. None of that BS urgency stuff GOTTA HAVE YOU NOW CR_P.

DanaMac
11-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Ditto... I'd take a 25% paycut to work Sept-April only. Every thing is so easy going. None of that BS urgency stuff GOTTA HAVE YOU NOW CR_P.

Yup. I despise the sun. My girlfriend grew up in gloomy Eugene, Oregon. I'd move there if she would, but she wants the sunshine. I love gray skies and rain.

irritation
11-15-2007, 09:10 PM
I really miss spring and fall, my favorite times of the year. Never should have got in this business. I haven't seriously fished in 20 years.:(

Mike Leary
11-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Yup. I despise the sun. My girlfriend grew up in gloomy Eugene, Oregon. I'd move there if she would, but she wants the sunshine. I love gray skies and rain.

After a few years, the "green & grey" gets a little old, but the spring &
summer up there is perfection, hence me writing this from Flagstaff.:)