PDA

View Full Version : Grubs

devnuts
11-13-2007, 04:16 PM
What do you guys do about them? Just found out that I have grubs in one yard of mine. Grub ex has been recommended but I don't know if I should put it down this late in the season. I also do not want the lawn ruined over the winter. Suggestions????

Runner
11-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Grub ex is NOT the thing to put down at this time of year.Not only will it be an unnecessary dumping of pesticide, but it be a big waste of money, as well. There are other products that are out there hat are suited for grub control, even this late in the season. The only advice that I can conscientiously give at this time would be to contact a licensed application company to take care of this for you.

gene gls
11-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Dylox-quick kill for grubs....

cebe800
11-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Dylox and make sure it gets watered in

DavidR
11-14-2007, 10:17 AM
I need to apply something for grub control but I was planning on doing it in the spring. Would it be better to apply it now or wait till spring? Which would be more effective?

Runner
11-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Do it now...Your soil temps aren''t that cool yet, where they have gone too deep. The problemm with getting them in the spring, is that they they come back up at different times sort of randomly - and they feed for only a short time before slowing down and pupating. Now, when I say they only feed for a short time, don't let that sound underplayed, because they come back up and feed with a veracious appetite.

devnuts
11-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the help.....one more question. I have yet to apply my winterizer fert, as I was waiting fir the grass to go dormant. Should I apply the grub control first and then wait for the winterizer, or vice versa??

Runner
11-20-2007, 05:46 PM
It doesn't matter...And do NOT wait for the grass to go dormant. you want this grass to uptake the fert. with its nutrients now.

americanlawn
11-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Ditto with RUNNER. In CT, the grubs have probably run their course by now, so it's time to apply a heavy winter fert. Lawns that had grub damage......I'd try to sell them a grub prevent (Merit) for next summer (late June through early August). But once in a while, grub damage can ocurr in late spring too. There is no product that will protect lawns all year long, so you may have to use Merit (good prevent) or Dylox (quick kill) whenever needed. It's cheaper than resodding.