PDA

View Full Version : What Type Of Seed In Tn?

Burkhart Lawn Care
11-13-2007, 06:43 PM
I use Rebel IV tall turf type fescue. Love it, had great luck.
Just wondering what every one else uses? :drinkup:

Marcos
11-14-2007, 09:10 AM
I always use blends of TTT Fescues that are all rated in the top 15-20of this region's ratings on ntep.org results every year. That's the best way to ensure that you'll get a stand of grass that will be the strongest and most durable over time, particularly when you're talking about disease resistance and general wear. Using just one variety of any grass seed, unless you're just doing a 'cover crop' for erosion control or something, is never a good idea.

beaglegun
11-14-2007, 07:46 PM
I use Rebel IV tall turf type fescue. Love it, had great luck.
Just wondering what every one else uses? :drinkup:

I saw a baseball field that was Rebel with about 30% Ky bluegrass and it looked great from the side. I didn't get to go out on the field. We have Midnight Ky bluegrass on our field.

I'm wondering how Rebel does with divots? Does it repair itself at all?

Marcos
11-15-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm wondering how Rebel does with divots? Does it repair itself at all?

Are you asking if Rebel IV TTT fescue puts outs rhizomes?
No. Not by a longshot.
The marketing blitz that shook the nation's green industry about 'spreading fescues' a couple of springs ago was primarily a classic misinformation gimmick!

There was indeed a few isolated cases of rhizomial activity among the ntep.org notes in 2002-2003, but what all the seed companies of course didn't tell the public or the nation's landscapers was that these lateral roots only surfaced in instances where the improved fescues had been planted in an area that was primarily peat and sand!
My guess is you don't have that in your KY divot situation.

beaglegun
11-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Mostly clay around here. Fescue infields always look bad because halfway through the year you have divots everywhere that never repair unless there's Ky bluegrass present. I had heard about the rumor of fescue rizomes. Ky bluegrass infields look nice and repair themselves but are high maintenance. That's why I asked the question about the fescue. Where I live fescue does best but makes for a poor athletic turf. Bermuda is brown from Oct until April. Some people overseed the bermuda with perrinial rye but once again you get into the high maintenance situation. I'd like to hear what some people with experiance have to say about zoysia.

Marcos
11-15-2007, 02:16 PM
My experience with zoysia is that once you've got it, you've got it to stay, like it or not! Zoysia roots can go down for a number of feet in the right conditions, and KY might be a little too far north for it to be considered to be 'hardy'. The winters of 1976 and 1977 wiped out zoysia lawns all over the midwest, and far down in to KY and TN. That can happen every so often. And when you renovate zoysia, there's tons of thatch material, etc to mess with! And the grass color situation is worse than bermuda!

Well, if you're interested in the new 'heat tolerant' bluegrasses, there's another thread on this site, an old one that's just been rejuvenated, called 'New Hybrid Bluegrasses' in the Renovation forum. There's some real good talk there about some successes in GA.

For sports field traffic, I'm a big believer in a mix of two to three improved TTT fescues, making up about 90% of the mix, combined with two or more of the better bluegrasses, making up the 10% remainder.
(A 90 / 10 bag ratio by weight is actually very close to a 65 / 35 ratio by seed count when you're talking about fescue and bluegrass, because of the noticeably different size of the 2 individual seed species.

This would give you some of the best of both worlds. The 'repairability and comfort' of the bluegrass, and the 'durability' of the fescue combined into one bag!

Again, ntep.org is the site to go to for 2007 national university seed trail results. The tough part then is to find a vendor who can sell you that 90 /10 ratio, with some of the top 20 or so of the ntep winners included on the seed label.

Burkhart Lawn Care
11-16-2007, 09:16 AM
ok thanks, What about homeoners grass? Sounds like I need to be putting down a blend, but what type?

perfectpasslawns
11-16-2007, 09:25 AM
i dont prefer fescue because of the growth process 1 seed= 1 blade i prefer a intrusive grass like a form of bermuda which i have had extremely well results.

Marcos
11-16-2007, 10:07 AM
ok thanks, What about homeoners grass? Sounds like I need to be putting down a blend, but what type?

You might have better luck in the 'homeowners' Forum.
It's near the bottom of the 'scroll'.
I go there and help sometimes.
But I can't usually help people in TN much because of climate differences.