PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather & Wire

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-13-2007, 06:09 PM
The cold weather is decending upon us here now. Most nights are dipping below freezing and with that cold comes my total frustration and disdain for working with that darned Tin-ox wire attached to all of my CAST Tree lights.

This stuff is insufferable in the cold. It is stiff to say the least. It doesnt fall from the mounting position down the trunk straight and it requires constant working and stapling in order to get it to lay flat. What a pain in the butt.

Most of the copper cable we use doesnt pose a problem until it reaches down to -15 to -20 celcius or so (then the jacket has a way of splitting as you pull it) but when it is that cold out the last thing you really want to be doing is pre-wiring boat houses in any case.

Does anyone have a solution for working with cold and stranded lighting cable, specifically the tin-ox stuff?

Have a great day.

JoeyD
11-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Heat Gun??? LOL, maybe you can wrap the wire with insulation to keep it warm at night!!

I say just make a good connection and be done with the fear of your wire rotting out. The form I posted in the other wire thread you started shows that the Resistance and VD increases by about 7.7% when using Tin coated cable. I know you were worried about the change in resistance regarding certain sized stranded 12/2.

I just dont know that there is anything you can do. Steve P. should have a suggestion to this.

Pro-Scapes
11-13-2007, 08:19 PM
man its gonna be 82 here tmrw. We just came in from a sales meeting and its still 68 out :laugh:

NightScenes
11-13-2007, 08:26 PM
87 here today!! It's time for a cool down!!

James, check with Paige wire. I'm sure you know who they are. If there's a wire question, their the ones to ask.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-13-2007, 08:58 PM
man its gonna be 82 here tmrw. We just came in from a sales meeting and its still 68 out :laugh:

Yadda Yadda Yadda, Blah Blah Blah.... so it is nice and warm where you live... BIG DEAL! :laugh: At least we dont have Hurricanes, Tornados, Eathquakes, Mud Slides, and Floods to deal with! Here all we have to master are the frigid winters, the snow that generally accompanies said winters, and of course the black flies and mosquitos of summer.

Believe it or not, in the last 7 days, despite it being very cold, damp, and mostly raining... I have managed to sell over $125k in lighting... not a bad week where ever you live. :clapping:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Heat Gun??? LOL, maybe you can wrap the wire with insulation to keep it warm at night!!

I say just make a good connection and be done with the fear of your wire rotting out. The form I posted in the other wire thread you started shows that the Resistance and VD increases by about 7.7% when using Tin coated cable. I know you were worried about the change in resistance regarding certain sized stranded 12/2.

I just dont know that there is anything you can do. Steve P. should have a suggestion to this.

Joey, its not that I use the Tin-Ox wire for my systems... it is more that CAST attaches 35' of it to the end of their Tree Light fixtures. (I LOVE that the wire is pre-attached, its just the performance of that wire in the cold that sucks) I am not worried about my wire rotting or poor connections etc. I have had all that solved for a very long time now.

Have a great day.

Mike & Lucia
11-13-2007, 09:53 PM
James, congrats on the stellar week of sales. Sweet!

As for your question, I deal with the same issue. We canned the No-Ox a while back, but when using Cast fixtures one must find a way to deal. I won't install anything but a Cast tree light fixture. I have yet to find anything that even comes close. The only way I could ease the pain is to store the fixtures in a heated area overnight. We don't let them sit in the trailer on site for three cold nights prior to installation. When transporting, I'll take a box out of the office or my kids playroom :laugh: and put it on the floor of my truck near the heater until ready for instal. It takes a while for them to stiffen again. Conversely, once cold and stiff, it takes a couple of days for them to return to pliable again. Hope this helps. Anybody have something better?

Mike

ChampionLS
11-14-2007, 04:35 AM
Why not roll the cable up into a ball, and after you mount your light, let it drop down. It should un-roll most of the way down without tangling.

JoeyD
11-14-2007, 09:40 AM
why not use our downlights?? I think everyone knows you get the wire lead (best wire possible) as well as a lamp, mounting bracket and hardware, and a pack of lenses.

steveparrott
11-14-2007, 10:05 AM
James, I'd say that a heat gun would be the best choice to warm the stiff cable on the site. It should warm up pretty quick.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-14-2007, 04:06 PM
why not use our downlights?? I think everyone knows you get the wire lead (best wire possible) as well as a lamp, mounting bracket and hardware, and a pack of lenses.

Thanks for the suggestion Joey but honestly I dont think you have anything that comes even close to the near perfection of the CAST Tree Light. It really is an amazing optical instrument for moonlighting from trees.

I have tried more fixtures for this application then I care to admit. The CAST Tree Light (CCTL1C) is by far the best for a number of reasons.

JoeyD
11-14-2007, 04:14 PM
"I dont think you have anything that comes even close to the near perfection of the CAST Tree Light"

Wow that hurts! Well one day I hope we can come close.

I would assume you must have tried out our Lunar and Quasar 1 to make such a strong statement. I cant see the light output of your "perfect light" (I know you meant Luminaire) being all that much different then these 2 fixtures.

Pro-Scapes
11-14-2007, 04:44 PM
sorry Joey I really like your line but gotta agree with James here. The cast tree light to me is the sugical instrument of tree mounted fixtures. The ease of use and thier mounting hardware is outstanding. The long shroud is wonderful and there is plenty of room inside to install a handful of lenses. The amiability of it and the mount in which to install it is just slick as can be.

If I had to nit pick about it I would say... shroud should be adjustable in length via another method besides a band-saw :) and the lead in wire should be much longer than 25 ft. 25 ft leads and a 25 ft mounting height leave you placing a splice 6 ft up the tree (I leave LOTS of slack tied gently at the top) or cutting the wire off to splice in your own.

top reasons we like it

range of adjustability after mounted
The fact cast cared enough to make the mounts slotted for ease of installation
The best tree hardware I have seen bar none
Seeminly bulletproof design
Easy to service when your 25 ft above the ground
Extremly easy to mount... you can put the flange on the tree and install the fixture after the small flange is up so your not tangled in 25 ft of wire and a dagger like fixture while mounting it.
Seems to stay true and will "give" if it is struck by a falling branch from above and will only require reaiming and a lamp.

In all fairness reasons we dont like.
Its big but this shouldnt be an issue if mounted in a good spot
Shroud is not adjustable for lenght
Wire lead too short.

JoeyD
11-14-2007, 04:46 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

back to the drawing board

Landscape Illuminating
11-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Billy,

I'm pretty sure the Cast fixture comes with a 35' rather than a 25' lead, while the Unique line comes with a 25' lead.

-Chad

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-14-2007, 09:22 PM
sorry Joey I really like your line but gotta agree with James here. The cast tree light to me is the sugical instrument of tree mounted fixtures. The ease of use and thier mounting hardware is outstanding. The long shroud is wonderful and there is plenty of room inside to install a handful of lenses. The amiability of it and the mount in which to install it is just slick as can be.

If I had to nit pick about it I would say... shroud should be adjustable in length via another method besides a band-saw :) and the lead in wire should be much longer than 25 ft. 25 ft leads and a 25 ft mounting height leave you placing a splice 6 ft up the tree (I leave LOTS of slack tied gently at the top) or cutting the wire off to splice in your own.

top reasons we like it

range of adjustability after mounted
The fact cast cared enough to make the mounts slotted for ease of installation
The best tree hardware I have seen bar none
Seeminly bulletproof design
Easy to service when your 25 ft above the ground
Extremly easy to mount... you can put the flange on the tree and install the fixture after the small flange is up so your not tangled in 25 ft of wire and a dagger like fixture while mounting it.
Seems to stay true and will "give" if it is struck by a falling branch from above and will only require reaiming and a lamp.

In all fairness reasons we dont like.
Its big but this shouldnt be an issue if mounted in a good spot
Shroud is not adjustable for lenght
Wire lead too short.

Ditto.

(The fixture comes fitted with 35' of wire not 25'. I find it just the perfect length for about 90% of our applications here.)

Pro-Scapes
11-15-2007, 07:37 AM
hrmmm... tis possible i never measured it. Did older ones come with 25 ft ? About half the time I am able to splice at the base of the tree... Other half of the time I am adding leads.

The Lighting Geek
11-15-2007, 11:50 PM
I just got done installing Unique pulsars (uplights) and Lunars (downlights) in some 150 to 200' trees at 20-30' up in South Lake Tahoe and everything went perfect. We were working in the snow and although it was not sub zero, I had no problems with fixtures or wire. I have installed hundreds of lunars and never have had a problem. I have tried many other fixtures in trees with mixed results.