PDA

View Full Version : rooftop demo rig

Mike M
11-14-2007, 02:11 PM
I just put this together today with stuff from my garage. I placed it on my porch roof and it sat firmly. It can be tilted easily between 0 and 90 degrees on any pitched roof.

The fixture is attached with a screw/wingnut combo and can easily be relocated to the outter holes, to fit against corners if necessary.

I improvised this rig so I can easily experiment with fixture placement in the evening. I'm thinking I will be installing to the plank siding? Any tips appreciated.

This is the NS miniwashliter without the stem.

JoeyD
11-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Nice job!!

Pro-Scapes
11-14-2007, 02:59 PM
I used extendable pool poles and just hold the light up while they look. Yours looks bulky and like alot of work. I guess yours is better if you want to leave the light but I wouldnt be leaving anything loose hanging on a roof. If it falls and cracks open someones head your liable.

If it works for you roll with it.

JoeyD
11-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Painters poles work well also!!

Mike M
11-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Joey, Billy, anyone: got a snapshot of how you rig those poles for demo'ing lights?

Thanks, Mike

JoeyD
11-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Gosh, I could get one but I would need to go dig some out of storage. I will see if I can get my hands on some in the next day or so. We used our Stratesphere bracket turned verticlly and then tech screwed it to the aluminum painters pole. By using the Strat Bracket you can snap in any down light you choose to demo.

I will see if I can find one to take some pics of. I havent used one in quite a while.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/quasar1.jpg
This is a picture of the Quasar 1 downlight mounted to a Strat Bracket.

irrig8r
11-15-2007, 10:27 PM
I always figured a non-conductive pole would be better, so mine is the yellow fiberglass kind used for saws or pruners..

Mike M
11-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Alright, where did you guys get the pole idea?? It definately was not in the Moyer book.

Anyways, tonight I used the rig I made, and it was helpful. My wife was saying stuff to guide me, but I was able to leave the fixture and back up to the street to see the effect. I tried right and left placements, as well as up and back placements from the fascade.

I'd like to build a pole rig, too. I would still like to see how are you guys are mounting the fixtures to the end of the poles, if you can get images, thanks.

Mike

irrig8r
11-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Here's the first one I saw at a Nightscaping seminar back in 1989

http://www.nightscaping.com/images/_misc_photos/pole.jpg

I got this set up about 10 years ago, but since removed the PAR 36 and the MR-16 socket arrangement and just mounted a couple of fixtures on swivel brackets, one with an MR-16 2012, the other with a 2036, mostly to demonstrate the added glare reduction from a shroud and hex baffle, especially over patios, dining areas, etc...

Here's what the NS website says:

The TD-0116 Tree-Demonstrator holds an MR-16 lamp, a PAR-36 lamp and the ‘hanging’ fixture of choice (lamps and ‘hanging fixture’ sold separately). The Tree Demonstrator will attach to a FIBERGLASS telescopic utility pole (pole sold separately). The Tree Demonstrator allows for SAFE downlighting demonstration by keeping the users feet safely on the ground. (BE AWARE OF HIGH-VOLTAGE CABLES!!)

Pro-Scapes
11-16-2007, 12:41 AM
man Mike would want a pic wouldnt he. Think of this mike... take a plastic stake and put it on a bandsaw... thin it down til you can fit it in the pole opening... done.

Its really a hassle still to hold it steady when its 20 ft in the air and the whole time your asking the client hows that look. I have since went to installing the light and tell the client if they hate it I will take it down. Had one client ask me to readjust it but no one has asked me to take it down

Another option is to bunjee the extendable pole to the tree. Its not rocket science to attash a light to the end of a stick (yes I have had a long day and still have not done invoicing tonight)

The Lighting Geek
11-16-2007, 01:03 AM
I used to use the pole method, but now I just tell them what it is going to look like and show them pictures of jobs if needed. The pole method works but it takes a little practice. I average 1-3 live demos a week and have about 80 fixtures for my kit. It really slows me down when I have get out the pole.

That doesn't sound right...LOL

Mike M
11-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Eventually I will get away from pushing demo's, this is primarily for my own learning experience. I think the photo's are a great idea, as well as just telling the customer what works and what doesn't. I'm not there yet with lots of photo's and experience with architectural lighting. Last night I learned a ton real quickly with the roof rig.

This same rig will be quicker/easier for wall washing than using stakes.

Billy, the next customer that asks to see some pics of your work, just tell them to close their eyes and imagine a bunch of beautiful installations.

:)

Mike

Pro-Scapes
11-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Paul gave me a CD that he hands his clients. I am dong something similar. Once I get it done (we are doing a DVD instead) I will simply hand it to a client before we meet with them or after I leave from the initial meeting.

I have a new one I am working on now that will require some special attention and I would of loved to have this DVD I could of mailed out to them right away when he called. It would serve to show them quality lighting and inform them about our firm better before we even met.

Mike M
11-16-2007, 09:14 AM
That's impressive, Billy. Very professional. I would hand deliver the CD/DVD along with catalogs of fixtures to every landscape architect in the region.

Why not put all the images on your website, and refer people to your website on every post card? Someone here said it works great for him. Only needs an image and a website address on each card.

Mike

irrig8r
11-16-2007, 12:29 PM
That's impressive, Billy. Very professional. I would hand deliver the CD/DVD along with catalogs of fixtures to every landscape architect in the region.

Why not put all the images on your website, and refer people to your website on every post card? Someone here said it works great for him. Only needs an image and a website address on each card.

Mike

You may well learn that giving the customer catalogs of fixtures is the wrong way to go. You are not a fixture salesman. You are an artist who uses light as his medium.

Yes, show them a couple of fixtures, have them hold one, or even take one apart and show them the quality of construction, ease of relamping, or whatever features you want to highlight.

Most of the time YOU will be more impressed with the details of the fixture than THEY will be. (Exception: electrical engineers, who I seem to run into often here in the Silicon Valley, even if they are now venture capitalists.)

If they're interested in picking a style of pathlight or the finish, fine.

Beyond that, I believe you sell them on a combination of the effects and the durability of the system. I'll take a particular area of the yard and show how the gazebo will be lit, or light a deck post, or shine a spot down or up on a particular tree or posts or arbor.

If you can make a video/ DVD that shows what you can offer them... some nice before/ after and day/ night shots should be good.

Mike M
11-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Good points Greg. I did however have some ARB's and landscape architects request catalogs. It's a good topic starter and excuse to pop by their offices.