PDA

View Full Version : PITA Leaves/ Fall Clean Up

Landscape89
11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Im sure a lot of you guys are having the same problem. Its the Middle of November, and what should be the winding down time for big fall clean ups seems to be smack-dab in the middle.:dizzy: Most of the leaves on the trees have turned, but I really have not a clue as to how to approach fall clean up this year. I'm doing about 10 Clean ups. The way I was thinking to approach it was to go to each house, get up the heavy leaves, and then give it a week and a half or so and then do the final clean-up :confused: . Keep in mind that Thanksgiving is coming up and people want there place looking good, and also that this is New England.. it could be 60 and sunny one day, and the next you get 6" of snow. I wanted to see what you guys thought on how to deal with this. I do care and want to make the places look good and people happy, but I'm afraid if I wait much longer there will be snow. Any input is appreciated!

wski4fun
11-14-2007, 04:23 PM
I live in the metro west area and am all to familiar with what you are going through. I was hoping to get everything done by thanksgiving but it sure doesn't look that way. There are still trees that are green! Atleast we have to worry about this and not fires. Always have to look on the bright side. I am doing what I can and the customers have to understand. If they won't let me clean them up until they are all down then they can wait till the spring when it will cost more. Good luck.

rodfather
11-15-2007, 06:05 AM
An unusually warm October is what's causing the late turning and drop.

AllProLC
11-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Agree. We are having the same problem in the Midwest. I am also considering picking up heavy portions of leaves now & then going back over yards in next couple of weeks.

Leaf Jockey
11-15-2007, 07:33 PM
You just gotta start cleaning them up. I don't let anyone think they are gonna get a "one time late" cleanup. You just never know what mother nature is gonna give ya. When someone says they want to be done once near the end I ask them when its gonna snow and I'll be there the day before. If I have to fight the wind that day its gonna cost you a lot more. They finally realize that we just have to start cleaning them up and see what we're dealt.

Scott

Smallaxe
11-16-2007, 09:40 PM
We were able to get the pine needles up with the lawnmowers over the 3 week period. Blowing the deciduous leaves we try to do every 2 weeks or after a rain. This year however, the drought prevents us from blowing much because we will have too much dust. I guess we have to wait for the ground to freeze.
So far the grass is still ok because it is dry, but will have to do something this week because one place will be inhabitted for Thanksgiving.

paponte
11-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Not jinxing anyone, but I just have a funny feeling about this year. Don't make me say the "S" word but it may be early. We've been at cleanups for a week now and will hopefully finish up everything the week before Christmas.

J&R Landscaping
11-17-2007, 10:04 AM
I've yet to do a single complete clean-up yet. Just mulching everything up at this point as the majority of the leaves are still hanging. I'll be working well into december doing clean-ups as it looks right now.