PDA

View Full Version : Layin' pipe.

Sunscaper
11-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Here some RCP I installed today with my bobcat.

bobcat_ron
11-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Wow, I've never seen oval shaped pipe before, what type of material is it made of?

tallrick
11-14-2007, 08:34 PM
That looks like concrete culvert sections. It's pretty common here in Florida under sandy soil. I have installed quite a bit of it along the roads. Just fit together and cover the joints. What part of the State are you, Ft myers, Labelle?

Dirt Digger2
11-14-2007, 08:39 PM
driveway crossing?....we never put fabric on our rcp...always just fit them together and throw a little cement around the thing...do those have the rubber gaskets inside?

EMJ
11-14-2007, 09:01 PM
You have to use fabric. We spend more time going in to fix contractor's short cuts. If the pipe separates due to settling, the fabric keeps the water from carrying the soil through the crack and into the pipe creating a sink hole or washout. Cement does nothing but crack. I would not waste your time or money with the cement. We use the "squashed" pipe in areas that we do not have a lot of depth to work with.

RockSet N' Grade
11-14-2007, 09:10 PM
I assume you use gaskets/lube and then wrap them? they love to do it quick and dirty here with no fabric, but the way you are doing it is correct.......wish more would take more pride in what they do.......

Sunscaper
11-14-2007, 10:06 PM
We use a tar in the joints called ram neck, then add the cloth. The inspection is tomorrow. I didn't see any light through the joints but they stick a mirror on a stick in there to check and then shine a mag nite into the joint at an angle. Also if its off more than 1/10 you fail and pay $50. Florida is VERY anal about drainage. BTW this is North port.

Dirt Digger2
11-14-2007, 11:01 PM
we had to go in and fix 2 broken sections of 15" rcp that a dozer guy hit while final grading. These two pieces were in the middle of a 200' run from box to box...you want to talk about a pain in the ass, you got one there...i ended up digging about 4 feet on either side and trying to "snake it out" side to side but that didn't work, so i broke the 2 pieces with the hoe and then knocked the top of the bell off the other and set the new pieces in...luckily we always carry a 5 gallon bucket of sand and cement on our service trucks

tallrick
11-14-2007, 11:02 PM
I must have a bad memory, but the ramnek I remember was a preformed seal, made of unvulcanized rubber that stuck to the concrete. I have see the old-fashioned oakum and asphalt joints fail. Not too big a deal in extreme south Florida with rocky fill. But from Broward up the sandy soil easily seeps in any little gap. I got involved installing the culvert as a duct for fiber optic cables. Never got to do it with a skid steer though, but a track loader. I liked that work.

RockSet N' Grade
11-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Ever get any gators or snakes crawling in there before inspections or backfill? Heck, here you may find a homeless individual camping out......

SiteSolutions
11-15-2007, 07:19 AM
We use a tar in the joints called ram neck, then add the cloth. The inspection is tomorrow. I didn't see any light through the joints but they stick a mirror on a stick in there to check and then shine a mag nite into the joint at an angle. Also if its off more than 1/10 you fail and pay $50. Florida is VERY anal about drainage. BTW this is North port.

I can see why they are so anal; the whole state only has about 6' of fall from Central Florida to the beach...:laugh:

bobcat_ron
11-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Wow, that makes sense.

Gravel Rat
11-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Not too often do you see concrete culverts around here unless its required most of the time it is plastic or galvinized culverts. Precast pipes etc is too expensive.