PDA

View Full Version : Trucking....talk on the Street

RockSet N' Grade
11-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Talked with 3 independents today. The "big boys" are going to drop their hourly rate on trucks.......that's right, reduce.......not raise. These independents are worried as heck, 'cause with rising fuel, they are getting squeezed as it is. Here is what I deduced: The big boys are raising the price of materials to cover the decrease in trucking charge with a big picture in mind of knocking out the independents or smaller trucking firms, hence gaining a control of the trucking in this valley. That is the only scenario I can imagine to be happening, a smart business ploy from those that "have" to reduce the competition. So, if you think there is money to be made by owning a 10 wheeler, there is another thing to think about. The pits have already posted on their scales that material prices will increase here shortly.....I would bet the truck hr.ly rate reduction will coincide nicely with the timing of material increase.

Fieldman12
11-14-2007, 10:13 PM
I have talked to several truckers in the area this year that are having a hard time surviving and some have been well established for years and years. Building around my area was booming four years ago. It has come to a halt here and most surrounding areas. Between the high fuel prices, no work, and all other expenses rising allot of these guys are bailing out.

2109 Stang
11-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Are you guys talking about me? Well stablished I am ,have been for the last 12 years but I don't know how much longer Im going to survive ,starting oct 1 it cost $600 to get a 20 ton load of #57 rock and thats before it gets delivered ,my runs are 200 miles round trip and it will take about $120 on fuel per load two loads a day per truck ,Im an owner operator with two trucks should do 20 loads a week ,Im hardly doing between 5 and 12 loads per week , it is rough ,many truckers around here think that Im lucky to have so much work, so you can imagine how are they doing ,last week I picked up a nice little job it was going to keep both trucks busy for a month and a half ,then they dropped the bomb ,How long can you wait to get paid ?I told em need the money by the end of the week ,because Im paying for material and that along is going to be close to 20 grands per week ,that was the last time I heard from them ,mean while we'll hang around .

bobcat_ron
11-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Wow, 20 tons of 57 stone here costs under $250. Geez how blessed are we here.

cddva
11-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Talked with 3 independents today. The "big boys" are going to drop their hourly rate on trucks.......that's right, reduce.......not raise. These independents are worried as heck, 'cause with rising fuel, they are getting squeezed as it is. Here is what I deduced: The big boys are raising the price of materials to cover the decrease in trucking charge with a big picture in mind of knocking out the independents or smaller trucking firms, hence gaining a control of the trucking in this valley. That is the only scenario I can imagine to be happening, a smart business ploy from those that "have" to reduce the competition. So, if you think there is money to be made by owning a 10 wheeler, there is another thing to think about. The pits have already posted on their scales that material prices will increase here shortly.....I would bet the truck hr.ly rate reduction will coincide nicely with the timing of material increase.

Sounds like the politicians when talking tax breaks............it just means they're increasing taxes elsewhere. Lean times ahead for the "have nots".

lawncare18
11-15-2007, 06:44 PM
I dont know how people survive anymore it is getting scary real scary im young but I know a lot of guys around here that are strugling.. How muhc do most of you guys spend in diesal fuel.. its 362 today at my local truck stop

RockSet N' Grade
11-15-2007, 06:53 PM
I spend as much as it takes to keep my tanks full.......may sound silly, not meant to be......but it seems I am always filling up. I filled up just the other day and it was $500 plus. One truck holds 100 gallons, another 150 gallons, other tanks and stuff must be another 100 gallons.........

DUSTYCEDAR
11-15-2007, 06:54 PM
3.69 HERE at the pump

Fieldman12
11-15-2007, 07:30 PM
I bought some diesel for my pickup over the weekend for $3.60 a gallon. Boy I can remember the good old days where you could joy ride all day long and not hardly cost you a dime. Now I drive the old wore out 93 Lumina car back and forth to work since it gets better mileage and gas is cheaper. I sure dont fill up any of the vehicles anymore unless Im going on a trip. It may cost the same money down the road but anymore it is a bunch of money to cough up at once. I can say it is seriously hurting me. Not to mention everything else is going up also because of fuel.

Looking Good Lawn Service
11-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Trucking is not lucrative anymore. Truck prices are through the roof, repairs are astronomical, every visit to the dealer is always at least 700-1000. A simple oil change 40 qts and filters and lube chassis $400. AND ON TOP OF IT THE COMPANIES WANT TO RUN YOU AND YOUR TRUCK INTO THE GROUND FOR NOTHING!! Their end is clear of all the expenses, they just pick up the phone,lol. And when you refuse a run they are all surprised when you dont want to run deadhead to RI then load in Vt and bring it to Ohio for $700 bucks,wtf??? Fuel is going to cost that much. I dont do long runs anymore, short runs pay more and is less wear and tear on the truck.

Gravel Rat
11-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Trucking rate hasn't gone down around here its going up still its around 83 dollars per hour for a regular tandem axle gravel truck. As for material it is the same as Bobcat ron pays. The cheapest stuff is yard scrapings from the pit which is usually from around the wash plant etc. It sells for dollar a ton its a waste product for the pits so they sell it. Usually a gravel truck hauls 15 tons legally.

With diesel hovering around 4.07 a gallon it is expensive but higher the cost of fuel etc goes up goes the rate.

The price of fuel isn't the problem it is the price of tires you ruin one drive tire that cuts 350-400 out of your profit. You ruin a 425 super single steer that is 1000 dollars.

There is very little to NO rate cutting in my area which covers a large area. Dump trucking isn't that profitable so if the rate is cut the truck is parked simple as that. The person cutting the rates probably wouldn't want to show their face any were in the bars or restaurants or they may end up a little banged up.

The price of material is public knowlege you phone one of the pits they tell you its so much a ton. The price they quote you is what the contractor pays. The only thing sold by the yard is topsoil.

Fieldman12
11-15-2007, 10:35 PM
My family use to own a dump truck business and I have several friends that own a trucking business. To me hauling rock is a little different than other types of trucking such as hauling freight or equipment. My best friend owns his own trucking business and also in the past year got his own authority. He makes more money in the long run finding loads for his dad's business to haul than he makes with his own trucks. Doing it this way he does not have to supply his own truck, trailer, driver or even any repairs. He just hires someone else to do the dirty work. Trucking has allot of issues out there. We got out of the business seveal years ago because it seemed like we where spinning our wheels all the time but making little money for it. Like the old saying (it takes big bucks to play with big trucks). There is way too many people out there trucking and hauling rock and it leaves very little profit. Seems like if your a owner and operator it is not as bad but once you go past the one truck you better have a big fleet because it is more headaches than it's worth. Trucks cost allot ot keep going not to mention all the fuel they love. Dont forget your often waiting on your money a good while sometimes.

dozerman21
11-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Seems like if your a owner and operator it is not as bad but once you go past the one truck you better have a big fleet because it is more headaches than it's worth. Trucks cost allot ot keep going not to mention all the fuel they love.

Nail, meet hammer!:) Couldn't have said it better.

grassmanvt
11-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Around here, there's talk of a guy who just cut his rate to around 50 an hour, give or take (can't remember the exact #, might have even been in the forties) and thats for a tri-axle. I get that and more with a one ton and its not very profitable. Also, that is straight trucking for him, not making any money on the product. On the bright side, probably be a truck available cheap at some point in time. Normal rate around here still isn't that good anyway. $60 an hour even in busy season and right now, I could probably have all the trucks I wanted for $52-$55 p/hour. Tri-axles as well. Glad I don't have a fleet of em'. Makes me appreciate still having a good mowing route.

SiteSolutions
11-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Fuel here is 3.20 a gallon at the cheap gas station. I get about 4 days between fill ups; yesterday I went to look at a job on the other side of town, then went home and brought my machine back to the job, then had to make two stops coming home to pick up kids. So that tank went pretty fast.

Rocks here are about 8.50 or so per ton. You can get 25 tons delivered a reasonable distance (<20 miles) for about 300 bucks.

We have limestone hills (we call them mountains but they aren't really mountains compared to real mountains) all over the place. I live in a place referred to as "East Limestone County".

I can imagine any crushed stone would be hard to come by down in Florida. 600 bucks just for materials is just staggering to think about. I guess that's why you guys recycle all your concrete and use sea shells in your asphalt.

ksss
11-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Trucks are a necessary evil in the dirt business. They don't net you a lot of money but you have to have them. Some guys are making money running the SuperDumps. I don't know how but the can gross 80K. I ran a side dump here for about five years. When I was not using it for my own projects I would lease on to a very large heavy highway construction company locally. The checks coming in were up to 4500 every two weeks. The costs to run were about 4000 every two weeks or so it seemed. A guy made me a killer offer for my truck and trailer so I sold it. I don't miss the DOT headaches and the bills from the Tire shop. I do miss moving 25 yards of material at a time though.

2109 Stang
11-18-2007, 12:54 PM
I used to make half decent money doing this or at least better than driving for somebody else ,but with fuel prices and material cost and the competition stilling the material from the quarries and delivering at purchase prices its hurting the honest business ,the plant management has been informed about this and nothing gets done about it ,these are the same people running dyed fuel ,I know one of these guys got caught three times with red fuel the second time the fine was $8,500 then the last time he got a brake only paid $500 I've seen this guy business growing next to mine I'd started about 6 month before he did ,there was a time when I taught he was going down but bounced back stronger ,it kind of make you think that your an idiot to be honest but I just don't have the heart run an illegal operation or rip anybody off ,if thats the way it's got to be I'll better off quit.

Gravel Rat
11-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Only one pit in this area delivers but they are in the excavation business. The other pits don't deliver the one largest pit won't even load you if they are busy producing material.

Running marked fuel really doesn't save contractors here that much money because marked fuel is only 10 cents or so cheaper per litre or .37 cent a gallon.

Guys that undercut the rate usually go broke or get in a accident because they are not doing maintenance on the truck to save money.