PDA

View Full Version : Mustang/Takeuchi

tthomass
11-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Are they partnered or anything? I saw one of Mustangs larger track machines a week ago and it looked just like a TL-150........jus tby chance or are they more or less the same??? I have no idea, just wondering.

Dirt Digger2
11-15-2007, 10:33 AM
i asked the same thing about gehl a while ago

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=172213

bobcat_ron
11-15-2007, 01:16 PM
It's kinda like Deere'tachi, not sure just who builds what and where.

cddva
11-15-2007, 01:17 PM
I believe Takeuchi builds the track loaders for Gehl and Mustang. I'm sure the experts will be along shortly to confirm or deny this.

AWJ Services
11-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Yes the Mustang/Gehl are built in the Takeuchi factory in Japan.
All units I think are delivered as open cab units.
From what I have seen the Gehl installs there own cab enclosure.
Not sure about Mustang.
Takeuchi has the excavator style door that pulls up over your head.

I heard rumor that Takeuchi may stop building Gehl/Mustang CTL loaders.

Dirt Digger2
11-15-2007, 02:13 PM
and i really like that door...you can open it when the loader is in any position unlike a lot of other swing doors

Scag48
11-15-2007, 03:58 PM
The swing up door is a great idea, my biggest complaint with swing doors is that you can't get out of the machine with the boom arms even slightly raised. Sounds like the Takeuchi doors are a little better than Deere's 200 series doors, I tried to open the door on a new Deere 250 a few years back and it jammed up on me.

qps
11-15-2007, 06:26 PM
A birdie told me that Gehl and Takechi will probably be parting ways in the future, Gehl supposedly wants to build there own units....how much is true and how much rumor??? who knows for sure

Dirt Digger2
11-15-2007, 07:37 PM
A birdie told me that Gehl and Takechi will probably be parting ways in the future, Gehl supposedly wants to build there own units....how much is true and how much rumor??? who knows for sure

if that is the case Gehl has some mighty big shoes to fill...Takeuchi makes a great machine

Tigerotor77W
11-15-2007, 08:47 PM
A birdie told me that Gehl and Takechi will probably be parting ways in the future, Gehl supposedly wants to build there own units

It will be interesting to see if they do. I think the question facing them isn't so much whether they have the market to do so (I'll come back to this), but whether they can differentiate themselves. Otherwise, what's to keep a Gehl owner going to a Takeuchi? (Assuming the dealership support is there... which... yes, true, if there is no Takeuchi dealer, no luch. But does Gehl have that many *more* dealerships? Maybe they do -- I don't know.)

The market for CTLs... one of the thoughts I've been having is whether this CTL trend is a fad. There are undoubtedly some users who can make the most of a CTL or MTL, but I'm wondering whether there is really a need for CTLs in every company's fleet. An example? Suburban single mothers or high school students with their own SUV. Certainly certain situations will warrant a SUV or pickup, but for the mall-goer or party-scener, is a 4WD really necessary? Even in the Snow Belt, it's better to have a good driver in a sedan than an overzealous idiot in a SUV. (I know this isn't a true apples-to-apples comparison, but the cynic in me asks nonetheless if the CTL trend will subside somewhat.) Thoughts (maybe in another thread... as not to throw this one off-course...)

Fieldman12
11-15-2007, 09:45 PM
I think it would be a big mistake if Gehl dropped the Takeuchi CTL machines because in my opinion Takeuchi makes one of the best. Only thing I dont like with Takeuchi is no dealers around me. One thing I think Takeuchi needs to do is also make a skid steer. They have to be loosing a good bit of market out there because they only make CTL's. Gehl makes good equipment there is no doubt about it but they just seem to be one of those companys not allot of people give a chance because I feel it is they are not popular and do not have a big excavating fleet of equipment to bring to the table like Cat,Deere, Komatsu and so on. Now given Bobcat has survived with only small equipment but there one of the few and even they have been sold many times. Gehl quit making the AG line I think it was last year. They said there was more money in Construction. I would not be suprised if Gehl and Mustang some day disappear. I think both make good machines but for some reason people dont by them. Im sure comfort, dealer support, quality and other things has some to do with it.

dozerman21
11-15-2007, 09:47 PM
It will be interesting to see if they do. I think the question facing them isn't so much whether they have the market to do so (I'll come back to this), but whether they can differentiate themselves. Otherwise, what's to keep a Gehl owner going to a Takeuchi? (Assuming the dealership support is there... which... yes, true, if there is no Takeuchi dealer, no luch. But does Gehl have that many *more* dealerships? Maybe they do -- I don't know.)

The market for CTLs... one of the thoughts I've been having is whether this CTL trend is a fad. There are undoubtedly some users who can make the most of a CTL or MTL, but I'm wondering whether there is really a need for CTLs in every company's fleet. An example? Suburban single mothers or high school students with their own SUV. Certainly certain situations will warrant a SUV or pickup, but for the mall-goer or party-scener, is a 4WD really necessary? Even in the Snow Belt, it's better to have a good driver in a sedan than an overzealous idiot in a SUV. (I know this isn't a true apples-to-apples comparison, but the cynic in me asks nonetheless if the CTL trend will subside somewhat.) Thoughts (maybe in another thread... as not to throw this one off-course...)

I think they might be a fad for many companies, up to 20% or more, but I know for guys like me a wheeled skid isn't an option. I'm not going to get into the wheeled vs. CTL debate. I hope we all agree that they both have their place. For the guys who NEED a CTL like myself, I think we'll continue to buy them.

The thing I'm worried about is how high the manufacturers and dealers will jack these things up in price. There is a big $40K+ difference between a top of the line large CTL and a lower end smalled wheeled skid. Of course we know the difference, but some customers don't. With the economy the way it is, and with diesel on the rise, it might make many of us hold onto our machines longer or buy used if the price of a CTL's continue to rise as each new innovation is achieved. If the difference between a wheeled skid and CTL grows too much, it will detract from the benefits of operating with a CTL because you will have less profit. Having said that, who's to say wheeled skids prices won't get out of hand as well. It seems like the gap has already narrowed on a comparable machine (wheeled skid vs. CTL). This is why it's a good thing for these differents companies to push one another and be competitive... it may keep them affordable.

Fieldman12
11-15-2007, 09:53 PM
In the work that I do I can see advantages to both a wheeled machine and a CTL. In an idea world for me I would own both machines. I hope to maybe own both some day but for now I can dream. If I had tons of work lined up and making lots of money I would probably just by the CTL only and trade every couple of years. The prices on teh CTL's right now though on new machines scares me to death and the repairs on some of the brands also scares me. For a guy like me that is using it for personal use and not tons of work yet a skid is great for me.

bobcat_ron
11-15-2007, 10:19 PM
What, no one knows that Takeuchi is coming out with a rubber tired SSL?

I read it in one of the Equipment journals we get free here, sometime in Fall '08 they will debut.

VAMech
11-15-2007, 10:40 PM
This is my first time saying anything on this forum, but I have been visiting it for over a year or so. I am a branch service manager for a large dealer in Virginia that has four locations. We sell Case, Kubota, Takeuchi, and Wacker to name a few. I have been working on machinery in some capacity for 29 years as a field technician, PSSR for a CAT dealer, a service manager for a mustang dealer in the Richmond area and the dealer I work for now.

I don't know much about making a living in a machine, but I've seen plenty of them in the shop.
The Takeuchi and Mustang machines are the same as most everybody knows other than the fact that Mustang offers high flow and the doors are different.

AWJ Services
11-15-2007, 11:17 PM
This is my first time saying anything on this forum, but I have been visiting it for over a year or so. I am a branch service manager for a large dealer in Virginia that has four locations. We sell Case, Kubota, Takeuchi, and Wacker to name a few. I have been working on machinery in some capacity for 29 years as a field technician, PSSR for a CAT dealer, a service manager for a mustang dealer in the Richmond area and the dealer I work for now.

I don't know much about making a living in a machine, but I've seen plenty of them in the shop.
The Takeuchi and Mustang machines are the same as most everybody knows other than the fact that Mustang offers high flow and the doors are different.

Welcome aboard.
I will say I am glad too have your experience on this board and hope you will continue too contribute too the discussions.

Tigerotor77W
11-16-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm not going to get into the wheeled vs. CTL debate.

Very good post due to very good reasons.

And Bobcat_ron, if that's the case, then my suspicion is that it'll either be a rebranded-Gehl or the Gehl-Takeuchi partnership ends in fall 2008.

bobcat_ron
11-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I kinda thought the same too, maybe Gehl or Mustang will get together and build a CTL for themselves?

VAMech
11-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Welcome aboard.
I will say I am glad too have your experience on this board and hope you will continue too contribute too the discussions.

I appreciate the welcome.

Tigerotor77W
11-17-2007, 02:29 AM
Yeah, I kinda thought the same too, maybe Gehl or Mustang will get together and build a CTL for themselves?

That won't be difficult... Gehl owns Mustang. :weightlifter:

bobcat_ron
11-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Well as long as Mustang doesn't break away, that old Mustang 930A my Dad owned 11 years ago still gives me the jeeper creepers.

Digdeep
11-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Gehl/Mustang breaking from Takeuchi would be an interesting development.

RipT
11-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Interesting times, however .....

With the serious and likely long-term slowdown in the US housing industry, it would seem like outfits like Gehl/Mustang would be in "hunker-down" mode rather than looking to strike out in new directions. Of course with the lower US dollar, they would be in a more competitive mode for exporting, but then the Japanese & Korean companies will do their best to redirect their factory output to their existing non-US markets and probably do anything to keep US companies from making stronger inroads. Gehl will probably regret getting out of the AG market to focus on construction.

ksss
11-17-2007, 08:34 PM
I wonder who's idea it is to split the sheets TK or Gehl? As mentioned, it seem in the NA market anyway hard time to be dumping money into your ownn tracked machine. I was always waiting for TK to market Gehl skid steers, I guess that is not going to happen.