PDA

View Full Version : need help pricing

jiggarule69
11-16-2007, 02:41 PM
hey i just got a job to clean up leaves and yard debri. well the yard is copletely covered with oak leaves there is not a sign of green any were and also in the vallys of the house roof they are caked with leaves. the property is about like a third or close to a 1/4 acre so how much per hour or how much for the job do you think.

Daner
11-16-2007, 04:07 PM
A picture would help us help you.
How many hrs do you think It will take you...then x that by your rate.

I always charge a dump charge for the leafs

jiggarule69
11-16-2007, 05:09 PM
the thing is i don't really know how many hours its gonna take me or how much a hour i'm gonna charge so i was wondering if you guys would give me prolly the best hourly rate for leaves

Even Cut Lawn Care
11-16-2007, 06:25 PM
the thing is i don't really know how many hours its gonna take me or how much a hour i'm gonna charge so i was wondering if you guys would give me prolly the best hourly rate for leaves

WHAT KIND OF EQIPMENT ARE YOU USING?

jiggarule69
11-16-2007, 07:33 PM
leaf blower and the old fashion way of raking i don't got the money for this big name equipment so what ya think

Even Cut Lawn Care
11-16-2007, 07:40 PM
leaf blower and the old fashion way of raking i don't got the money for this big name equipment so what ya think

MAN IM REALLY NOT SURE HAT TO TELL YA IVE GOT A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SETUP.....I GET 75 TO 100 PER HOUR

jiggarule69
11-16-2007, 11:53 PM
i was thinking like 10 bucks a hour but i'm thinking that it is a little cheap. but the thing is the guy calls me to see if i want to do the job i said yeah right away he never once asked how much i charge or anything he just said the his mother inlaw wanted it done befroe thanksgiving. so earlier today i drove by the house just ti inspect how much work needs to be done well the roof needs blown off and prolly the gutters need cleaned to plus leaves and branches or what ever so i come to the conclusion of like close to 15 an hour if thats to steap or not enough i would like to hear you guys's feedback thank you

agm
11-17-2007, 12:01 AM
WAY TOO CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!! I charge a min of $55 per man hr. I would'nt even step foot on the property for $10-15 per hr!!! Thats ridiculous.

DuraCutter
11-17-2007, 12:40 AM
i was thinking like 10 bucks a hour but i'm thinking that it is a little cheap. but the thing is the guy calls me to see if i want to do the job i said yeah right away he never once asked how much i charge or anything he just said the his mother inlaw wanted it done befroe thanksgiving. so earlier today i drove by the house just ti inspect how much work needs to be done well the roof needs blown off and prolly the gutters need cleaned to plus leaves and branches or what ever so i come to the conclusion of like close to 15 an hour if thats to steap or not enough i would like to hear you guys's feedback thank you

Ok, I'm trying to understand where you're coming from. First I'm thinking your maybe 14 years old, then you say you're driving??

Hm... do a search, leaves have been talked about soooo many times, you can't even count the posts.

$15/hr. I presume you have no insurance, no licence and don't pay taxes...ok. Sure, charge 15, but I don't approve of it, so do hundreds of lcos on this site. If this is the case, I hope you don't ask anymore...just do it, and don't post it on here.

Oh, I just noticed that you said the roof needs blowing off...if you're not insured...DON'T. You're not only risking your life, if you get hurt, the homeowner could lose their house because of the liability if your carcass of bones winds up on the driveway.

Please reconsider it, and if you find yourself on the roof blowing for cough...cough...$15/hr, just make sure you pad yourself with 2 matresses, one for the front, one for the back so you don't cost the customer too much if you fall... :)

If I'm wrong, give us some more info on who you are, what you do in your business...etc...

Good luck

:)

jiggarule69
11-17-2007, 05:58 AM
well your right about the insurance i ain't got none but im 24 years old and my business is lagit but heres the catch this is my real first client and i thaught it over and i'm gonna charge the lady 90 bucks total for the job if that isnot to ur liking well let me know i got till monday to revamp my price

lucky4511
11-17-2007, 06:33 AM
oh my goodness.....is this a joke or what?

Smallaxe
11-17-2007, 06:40 AM
Since this is your first real client you will need time to build your routine and connections before you know what pays and what doesn't. I have one client that I had for years that built a new house and then later put a steel roof on. Those gutters are farmed out now twice a year and done by a friend who owns a tree service business.
Always safety first and don't ever take chances on other peoples' property. When you get insured that doesn't change.
Are fellow landscapers friends you can farm stuff out to or competition that you try to steal jobs from?

ponyboy
11-17-2007, 09:17 AM
90 for just the roof i hope min charde of 225 if leaves stay ang 75 for an easy roof one level not too high or dangerous cause one fall kills your business and all. At 90 you might as well work at McDonalds full time and get health insurane thats 10 an hour - your gas-minus your equipment- you might as well pay her 90 to do the job

LawnRunner
11-17-2007, 06:01 PM
jiggarule69,

First of all I couldn't do a job at $15.00/hr. because my overhead and expenses run $15.00/hr. so I would be working for free.

I am assuming you will be depositing the leaves in a nearby wooded area. If this is the case you could blow the leaves into piles and rake them onto a tarp and drag them to the woods. If you have access to a lawn tractor you could drag the tarp with the tractor and save your back.

Just guessing, I think this job may take you longer than you think, probably in the 6 - 8 hr. range. Even if I didn't have any overhead and expenses I don't think I would charge less than $150.

Be carefull on the roof. It can be dangerous up there especially with a backpack blower on your shoulders.

DuraCutter
11-17-2007, 10:15 PM
well your right about the insurance i ain't got none but im 24 years old and my business is lagit but heres the catch this is my real first client and i thaught it over and i'm gonna charge the lady 90 bucks total for the job if that isnot to ur liking well let me know i got till monday to revamp my price

It's not me that's important, it's the fact that without insurance you're putting yourself and your customer at risk.

Let's put it this way, go out monday morning, buy some liability insurance. If you can't do that, go to your nearest employments agency or temp agency and work till you can afford the business insurance. If that takes 1 week or 2 weeks and you miss the leaf season, so be it. There's always next year cause you're still young.

If you decide to do her place, and you go on the roof, place a safety rope around your waist and use an approved body harness. At least you'll be safe and you'll be protecting the poor ladies house from a potential lawsuit.

:)

humble1
11-19-2007, 07:46 PM
STAY OFF THE ROOF--
Besides the fall it sounds like they dont take good care of their property. I would be afraid that they may "develop a leak" Oh gez that roof was fine before the lawn guy climbed up and blew off the leaves and some shingles. As far as the price i love customers that have time deadlines, its almost like they hand me a blank check. Like my daughters weeding is at my house this weekend, we have been busy and forgot to have the shrubs trimmed and barkmulch done-cha ching. Or the guy that calls 3 days before thanksgiving Oh we need the yard done by thanksgiving and we are calling to see if you can take it on? I will triple charge them and say yup i can do it, lucky you called I close down after thankgiving. This does two things, high pressure to close the deal, the guy pays or his wife is pissed at him, no "desert on thanksgiving" I dont really shut down but get a huge return on time.
I think that everyone starting out lost some money along the way i know i did. I started out 18 years ago and there was know one who would give advise. This is a good place to get it, although i think people can be alittle harsh, forgetting what it was like to start out. You are not in buisness to lose money. You need to charge, and not be afraid to throw out a large number. If they dont like it let them do it and laugh.

You dont want to get every job, only the ones that will make you money-

Nate@TLCS
11-19-2007, 08:35 PM
I did somthing like this when I was 14, lol. even then I wanted $40.00 per hour.now I'm 27 and want $400.00 haha! (I said want!) dont get on the roof man, Life is different up there do you have kids? remember 5 feet can kill you of worse christopher reeve you.

jiggarule69
11-20-2007, 06:28 PM
yeah i know what you guys are saying but iv'e been climbing roofs since i was 8 with my dad and iv'e been on some pretty high ones so your opinion don't realy mater with me i know you guys are looking out for my nest interest but as i read all this feedback and some of it was donwn right rude so some of you ass whole need o keep that **** to ur selves all i wanted was a price not critisized about my age or my ability to what work i choose to do or the equipment i have

Nate@TLCS
11-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Lawnsite.com a place for lawn care professionals. you don't get to be a professional at $10.00 per hour and I do not mean any offense by that! its the truth!!!. also, this lady may tell her friends at cards night and they will expect you to do the work for the same price...... $35-$50 to even get on the roof. pushmowing? bagging? bagging 6" of leaves and about 10k ft sqd? so 4 hours plus the blower work (30 mins)since you are new charge $40.00 per hour so $200 + roof work(easy = $35 hard=$75) you be the judge. $235-$275 not bad. None of us mean any offense, we just hate going in and cleaning up after someone bit off more than they can chew.

lovdasnow
11-30-2007, 12:33 AM
this is an obvious joke, he's even trying to misspell his words...