PDA

View Full Version : Passenger tires on trailer?

thefed
11-17-2007, 11:13 AM
How does this work out? I just bought an abused trailer from someone on this site. It needs 4 tires.

Its a 16ft with (4) 15" rims. I'm looking at $320 installed for trailer tires vs. $200 for passenger tires.

The trailer will at most have 3 mowers on it at once, roughly 2500 lbs??? No mulch, no dirt.

Would the passenger tires suffice in this case? I imagine so, but am curious about your experiences!!

Im also curious about packing bearings....is this something a somewhat mechanically inclined person can do himself? Anywhere to find a tutorial???

Thanks!!

j

troblandscape
11-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Im not sure if weight would be an issue in your case, but wear from turning. I believe trailer tires have a harder rubber to slide in turns.

Scagguy
11-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Trailer tires generally have more side wall belts on them than passenger tires which is important esp in tight turns. Go to any auto parts store and ask for a set of "buddy bearings". You simple take out the exsisting grease cover caps and knock these in with a hammer and a block of wood. They have an external grease zerk, so you don't need to pack the bearings anymore.

thefed
11-17-2007, 11:59 AM
i hear the bearing buddies do NOT replace a proper packing every once in a while, but prolongs the time frame between doing so?

N.TX
11-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Yes passanger tires will work fine ive had those on my trailers for the past 5 yrs.

ATL Lawn
11-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Im not sure if weight would be an issue in your case, but wear from turning. I believe trailer tires have a harder rubber to slide in turns.

yes, this is true...

now if this was an OPEN trailer, and only 1 mower (or total 1000lbs or less) then i would say the pass would be ok, but if youre 1500+ dont do it..

ATL Lawn
11-17-2007, 12:26 PM
i just re-read what you said, dont try to save $120 this way...

GravelyNut
11-17-2007, 02:25 PM
i hear the bearing buddies do NOT replace a proper packing every once in a while, but prolongs the time frame between doing so?The main thing is to start out with a properly packed bearing and then maintain it. If over greased, the seals in the back may blow. That is worse than not repacking them every so often. I made a 1200 mile trip with a utility trailer this spring. New bearings, seals, and tires. 60 to 70 MPH running. Checked the bearings every 4 hours for overheating. Greased once a day with the buddy bearings. No troubles the entire run.

Scagguy
11-17-2007, 06:18 PM
i hear the bearing buddies do NOT replace a proper packing every once in a while, but prolongs the time frame between doing so?

My trailer has a 7000 lbs gross and I've exceeded that, many times. Estimated miles on trailer 30,000. I grease the buddy bearings every other month. No probelms.

juststartin
11-17-2007, 06:38 PM
I get used passenger tires for my 16' trailer. $20 installed. Its all I run and I haven't had a problem since making the switch. If a tire blows and you have a spare you only lose 1/2 hour. Don't waist your money, buy used tires for your trailer.
BTW I carry two 60" ztrs and a 36' walkbehind on my trailer.

G.M.Landscaping
11-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Here's my take on this. I've always run approved trailer tires until last year. I decided to save a bunch of money and put 4 used car tires on it($100). I have a 10K GVW 8X16 BTW.
First difference I noticed was when I had to haul 3 pallets of salt(3 tons). Damn thing was all over the road and the tires were really sagging. Can only put 45-55 psi in them instead of 65. Then this year I got pulled over so they could do a spot check. You have to run tires that are approved for a trailer. So $400 later, and a hefty fine, I am back to running trailer tires.

Never again will I run other tires. Hugh difference if you pull any weight.

Runner
11-17-2007, 08:51 PM
I've been running Pathfinder ATR's (radials) for several years on my trailer. They have always worked fine. I always have a couple thousand pounds on my trailer. The reason I have these tires, is because that's what came with the chrome wagon wheels when I got them. I was ready for new tires, and this guy had these on a truck he wrecked, and they had brand new tires on them. I got the set for cheaper than I could buy the tires themselves. I've always replaced them (one by one) with the same, so they would always match.

Tharrell
11-18-2007, 03:57 AM
Go to the Dexter axle website www.dexteraxle.com. They have tutorials on how to pack bearings. They also have hubs (E Z lube) that are machined so you never have to take the bearings out to pack them. I greased mine last week. It takes about 3/4 of a tube for each side but a lot easier than doing it by hand. It sorta looks like a bearing buddy but the grease goes in and forces the old grease out the front through the machined holes. You just pump until you see new grease, I use Shell Albida(red).
Here's a pdf on axle maintenence from Dexter.
By the way, consider having a small peice of steel welded to the trailing edge of your fenders. In a blowout, the tires will shred your fender from the back Check out my post about a spare. Tony

LushGreenLawn
11-18-2007, 11:30 AM
The newer bearing buddies let grease flow out of the front, around the grease zerk, so that you know when they are full, and that prevents you from blowing out the seal.

Really, if you blow out the seal, and you are not backing into a boat slip, and you grease the zerks regularly, you would be fine anyway, except in the event that you have a trailer with brakes, in which case the grease would get into the brakes and cause problems.

Looking Good Lawn Service
11-18-2007, 05:15 PM
For a trailer tires I think they are cheaply made especially the smaller sizes, I bought a new 2007 102x16 foot enclosed landscaper package horton hauler, $7000 trailer and it blows the factory powerking radial 205/75/15 easy. I went to the dealer several times, no warranty on $120 trailer tires?? with 99% tread left, all sidewall ruptures, I only carry two lesco 48" hydro walkbehinds and 3 trimmer and 3 blowers?? I finally put a good new passager tire, and have no more problems, so much for "heavy duty" trailer tires, crap!!

packey
11-18-2007, 06:15 PM
We have always run passenger car light truck tires on our trailers with the exception of our 20 ft 16000 lb trailer. I have only blown one tire this was do to dry rot. and yes the trailers have hauled way way more than 6000 lbs and more than just in town. I do not know about trailer tires having more belts in the sidewalls but will passenger car tires work on a trailer. the answer is yes

Breezmister
11-18-2007, 07:19 PM
The trailer will at most have 3 mowers on it at once, roughly 2500 lbs??? No mulch, no dirt.

General rule of thumb, WB at 500 lbs, Riders at 1000 to 1500 depending on the deck and if they have a Vac.
At 2500 lbs you are into a D range tire That should be a 8 ply side wall. The day will come when you will over load that trailer. You could go with a E range tire, 10 ply side wall. The side wall is what holds the tire up.
In the long run, you are better off getting a trailer tire, just find out what weight rated they are. D range I think start a 2400 lbs
I just put 4 new TowMax tire on for a guy here in the complex I work out of
225/78R 15 E. 320 bucks total. He carries a Bobcat skid steer on the trailer.
Be safe then sorry.
Oh yea, get the phone book out and call around, you might be able to get a better price

GravelyNut
11-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Go to the Dexter axle website www.dexteraxle.com. They have tutorials on how to pack bearings. They also have hubs (E Z lube) that are machined so you never have to take the bearings out to pack them. I greased mine last week. It takes about 3/4 of a tube for each side but a lot easier than doing it by hand. It sorta looks like a bearing buddy but the grease goes in and forces the old grease out the front through the machined holes. You just pump until you see new grease, I use Shell Albida(red).
Here's a pdf on axle maintenence from Dexter.
By the way, consider having a small peice of steel welded to the trailing edge of your fenders. In a blowout, the tires will shred your fender from the back Check out my post about a spare. Tony
The new trailer from D2E Trailers has that type of axles, but made by Quality Trailer Parts ( Div of Polar Corp. ). They call theirs Accu-Lube and also tell you how to do the maintenance at http://www.qtrailer.com/catalog/axles.pdf . With them it would be hard to overgrease the axles. And they installed a chunk of angle on the front and rear of the fenders from the factory.