PDA

View Full Version : Winter Trailer Storage

Lawn Enforcer
11-17-2007, 12:03 PM
I have a 6.5x12 Carry-On trailer with my Everride Scorpion and my other lawn equipment on it for winter. It all weighs close to 3,300 lbs. I don't want all that weight on the tires all winter long. I want to put jack stands under the trailer. Where would be the best place to put the jack stands?
P.S. I already have 2 jack stands under the tounge of the trailer, and I have no other place to keep my trailer, this is the only option to keep my equipment on it. Thanks-

Looking Good Lawn Service
11-18-2007, 05:22 PM
put the jacks right under the area where the axles are, that is where the trailer is supposed to be reinforced to jack it up., put plywood under the jacks to keep them from sinking into the ground.

Tharrell
11-18-2007, 05:26 PM
DON'T put anything under the axle or any of the suspension components. Consider welding some bulldog pipe mounts on both sides behind the wheels. That way you can jack the rear end up to get the weight off the tires. I'm not sure if this setup would work on a tandem axle trailer though. I've often thought about those fold down jacks the RV folks use to level small trailers too. Also, cover the tires like the RV folks do, it protects them from the weather and especially UV rays.
I learned a lot about trailer tires with my recent blowout. I too had always left all of my equipment stored on the trailer. Not anymore, I have a place to store it all and it comes off when not in use. I do have bulldog mounts but I only have 1 bulldog right now. I'm looking around for the best price on 2 more so I can leave my stuff on the trailer. Anyway, the weight comes off the tires and the pressure is checked before each trip and during the workday.
A preventable incident will haunt you if you're like me. Tony
p.s. Most tire manufacturers recommend letting some of the air out if you're storing it for a while.

Looking Good Lawn Service
11-18-2007, 07:18 PM
I did not say to jack the trailer up on the suspension,lol, use the frame, "near" the axle is where the "manufacturer" says to jack the trailer. Unless Horton hauler co. is wrong i dunno? Sorry for any confusion.