PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Trimming Bids, pics..

davis45
11-17-2007, 05:56 PM
NOTE! - I am not currently taking care of this property!

It has somewhere around 200-250 bushes. Ranging in size from 6ft diameter up to 15ft diameter and about 6 ft tall. This is the first property of this size i have had, I will have myself and one worker on this hopefully, more if needed.

Any help on how to bid this?

Roger
11-17-2007, 06:08 PM
What do you have for equipment? Have you done these jobs before? Can we presume that most (all?) have mulch, or something else around the bush so that all debris will require tarps for catching clippings? Are these shots typical of the kind of access to the bushes, or are others more difficult to work around?

davis45
11-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Equipment, I have a few sets of Stihl Hedge Trimmers, plenty of tarps if needed along with trash barrels, I will also have a dumptruck this winter. Yes i have done these jobs plenty of times before, just never with 200+ bushes. None have mulch at the bottom, a small amount do have rocks though. For the most part all of them are easy to get to, maybe 20-30 are in a rough position.

Ground Scapes
11-17-2007, 07:50 PM
get rid of them and start over! too overgrown

davis45
11-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Sadly, thats not an option.

nobagger
11-17-2007, 08:10 PM
250 of bushes this sized with 2 guys......:confused: you'll be there all week if not longer and I'm thinking longer. I dont price "per bush" I strictly go by per man hour. Any way you look at it its at least a 5-7K job, if not your gonna loose your ARS! And yeah, I would be calling your buddies for sure!

nobagger
11-17-2007, 08:14 PM
get rid of them and start over! too overgrown

I agree 10000% tell them to get rid of them. Even if you try to cut back the evergreens you'll kill em'. We have a few of the evergreen type you pictured at a place we do and they are getting to be more of a problem.

davis45
11-17-2007, 08:52 PM
250 of bushes this sized with 2 guys......:confused: you'll be there all week if not longer and I'm thinking longer. I dont price "per bush" I strictly go by per man hour. Any way you look at it its at least a 5-7K job, if not your gonna loose your ARS! And yeah, I would be calling your buddies for sure!

I can get more on the job no problem... just was wanting to stay with 2

nobagger
11-17-2007, 08:54 PM
I can get more on the job no problem... just was wanting to stay with 2

WHY? You and the other guy are gonna get bored and tired, then the quality starts to suffer. It doesnt bother me just wondering. Many hand make light work.

davis45
11-17-2007, 09:08 PM
WHY? You and the other guy are gonna get bored and tired, then the quality starts to suffer. It doesnt bother me just wondering. Many hand make light work.

One full time employee, then some come and go when needed. Thanks for the advice. Any input from others also would be appreciated.

Roger
11-17-2007, 09:16 PM
It sounds like you have the equipment and help for doing this job. Yes, they are overgrown, but many bush trimming jobs are that way -- one just needs to do the job being asked, and plan to get paid for the labor.

I would take this approach, ...

Since you have experience, then you should have a good idea of your timing per bush. (As a rule, I always have a stopwatch running, always know how many bushes, what level of difficulty, etc -- so that I can build a database of information on timing for the next jobs. All this information gets written in a log book.) I would take a walk around with clipboard and try to make classifications, such as "4 minute bushes," "8 minute bushes," "15 minute bushes," etc. It does not look like any "15 minute" ones in the lot. Then, through a spreadsheet, you should be able to determine a total time for the job. To be sure, there will be some plus, some minus, times along the way, but you should be able to get a close estimate. It does not matter whether there are 30 bushes, or 250 bushes. Only the multipliers change.

I don't do much trimming each season (maybe 50-60 hours), but have been able to make pretty good estimates. The only reason is keeping tabs on jobs, how many bushes, how much time, level of difficulty (e.g. cleanup, access, laddering/scaffolding).

As somebody mentioned, the job might be boring. But, at this point in the season, especially for December, having work beats the alternative. With the small glimpse of some of the bushes, it does NOT look like a week-long job for two people.

Tadams
11-17-2007, 09:57 PM
How much are you planning on trimming off? They don't look very bad to me- overgrown yes but not really any growth on them to cut off. Am I right or am I not seeing the growth on them?

If you do have to trim them all, do they all have to be trimmed right now or can you spread it out over a week or two? I am kinda funny about who I let trim hedges- it is usually me because if anything is done wrong then the only one that I can blame is me. That being said, you have a LOT of hedges to trim and clean up for 2 guys.

davis45
11-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Sorry i should have been more clear. Im bidding on the grounds for NEXT season, not right now. They wanted them trimmed 3 times per year. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Tadams
11-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Oh, OK. I can't tell you what to charge but I would look into Cutless Granular. I would charge them XX.00 amount for each cut times 3 times a year and then put the PGR down and not worry about it after that- just trim a few scragglers.

Runner
11-18-2007, 12:21 AM
If you get this, do yourself a HUGE favor, and get an extended reach hedge trimmer. It ishe ONLY way to go with shrubs this size. Like was said above, if you go hourly, you can't lose, but if I WAS to bid it, judging by what I see, I am seeing an average of 10 to 15 bucks per shrub (not the clusters...but individually), so that would put me somewhere in the ballpark of 2500 to 4000 per trimming.
I wish I was there, because I would LOVE to give them grass.

Roger
11-19-2007, 06:24 AM
I "ditto" Runner's suggestion on extended reach trimmers. The bushes may be within reach of a standard hedge clipper (e.g. 24" or 30" bar), but the longer reached equipment will increase productivity. The weight will be more, but it can more effective on many bushes in your pics.

SLC, LLC
11-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Bid that job for chain saw work - and take them all down. I just completed a project just like this. They wanted the shrubs trimmed. I told them it would be cheaper to remove them! That looks like crap!

Guzman Properties
11-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Hey guys, what is the best method to remove those type of bushes?

SLC, LLC
11-19-2007, 02:32 PM
chain saw, unless you ned the roots and everything out.

Guzman Properties
11-20-2007, 12:17 PM
What if the customer wants roots and all out?

DodgeTruckMan731
11-20-2007, 04:31 PM
What if the customer wants roots and all out?

Its not the most professional way to do it, but I have pulled the stumps out with my truck before, otherwise rent a stump grinder since you gonna have 200 250 stumps to take care of.

Chris