PDA

View Full Version : The best brake pads?

Chop Stuff Up
11-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Alright, I just installed new pads and rotors on my E-150 cargo van. I bought the cheapest pads not thinking much of it. Really an E-250 would've been more ideal for what I'm hauling with this thing, as it's a decent bit of weight. I had the brakes get too hot on me last night on a delivery and I already slightly warped the new rotors. My question is, do more expensive pads stop better and stay cooler, or do they just last longer? What would you recommend? At 1,500 miles a week, I need something that can take the beating.

CleanCutMowers
11-18-2007, 09:34 AM
If I had installed new rotors, I would have got the best brake pads possible. Go with something ceramic or right below ceramic. Cheap pads most definitely wear faster, they will also start squeaking. That is a lot of driving, so the better pads will pay off in the long run, you wont have to worry about changing them as much and you wont have to worry about them failing .

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
11-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Raybestos ceramic. Never look back.

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
11-26-2007, 05:29 AM
i've put ceramic on both of my vehicles and can tell a difference in the stopping power, they also dont fade out as much when you're using them alot. Not to mention no black brake dust!

MarcSmith
11-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Now I go the other way. Buy the best, heaviest rotor you can. all pads generate heat all pads wear...but the rotors ability to handle the heat and dissipate it is whats prevents the warps, and the fades. Many rotors you find at autozone, ect, are cheaper than stock and made of thinner metals and just not as beefy as the stock rotors.

you want better pads, you need to step up to something other than ceramic. but that will result in a pad that creates more dust and more noise. I had Hawk Autocross pads on my street car and it was dirty, dusty, and noisy, but I was willing to deal with it so that way at track events I did not have to keep swapping pads...

Pro-Scapes
11-26-2007, 09:10 AM
I always get the hi performace ones at napa. To me napa just seems to have better quality than the cheapy stores and the guys are knowledgeable or at least here they are. Sometimes its a few bucks more but its always been worth it.

Napa carries cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads for the ultimate in brake performance. Dont screw around or try to pinch pennies when it comes to brakes...tires... or steering. Why drive on borrowed time. That 100 bucks you save wont even buy your burial

MarcSmith
11-26-2007, 09:58 AM
stay away from cross drilled rotors...he only place that does real cross drilled rotors is Porsche, and those are cast holes not drilled.

Cross drilling induces stress on the rotor and gives a spot for a crack to start. Even with chamfered holes, you are only able to chamfer one side of a vented rotor... And hole drilled removed material from a rotor with while it aids in outgassing, and wet performance, you greater your chances of getting warpage. I'd go with slotted before I went with drilled...., but I'd go with dimpeled over all of them...for performance.

for trucks Id stick with solid and vented rotors. no drilling, no slotting, no dimples...Keep the brakes in good shape, buy a good quality pad and good quality rotor. and don't forget your trailer brakes...

adrianrog
11-26-2007, 09:15 PM
See if you can find Chevy or Toyota pads that'll fit it. Not really, but My 1500 has 126,000 on the original rotors and pads and my Camry has 145,000 on the original rotors and pads. I actually replaced the Camry pads at 125,000, then looked at the old ones, looked at the new ones, then put the old ones back on. The new ones are still in a box in the Garage. Nothing but OEM for me with service like that.

backhoe1
11-26-2007, 10:33 PM
OEM is the only way to go if quality is what you are after. How much money do you suppose ford spends on research and development every year? just my .02.

South Florida Lawns
11-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah the best quality is OEM but you could go to one of those places like Meineke that have a lifetime warranty. Hahah, I'll bet half the people that go with ceramic don't even know what it does or if they even need it.

topsites
11-27-2007, 02:44 AM
You know old folks don't drive slow because they don't have it in them anymore, it really doesn't take much to step on a gas pedal, but old folks drive slow because they know a few things. No matter how much brakes and tires you got, it takes more than twice the effort to stop something twice as heavy, so a 3-4 ton vehicle takes more than 3-4 times the effort than a 1 ton car, that's all there is to it.

Not telling you how to drive, but in all of this process there is the cost of the pads, the rotors, the labor, plus running to the store, don't forget the tires wear faster and the fact that every time you step on the brakes you waste the fuel it took to build up that speed in the first place. I figure an easy 1-2000 over the years, if you figure whatever else wears.

I usually get 100,000 miles or so out of the pads, I just don't have those problems with brake fade, if it gets to that it means I'm doing something wrong. So the easy solution is let off the gas way early and coast most of the way to a stop, keep a big distance, and go slow.

You don't lose much time, less than a minute between stops, maybe 10 or 15 minutes a day max, but more like 4-5.
Most of the time I lose 15-20 seconds between stops versus driving too hard.

I see it all the time, cruising down the road...

My light and the light of those cars around me is green, but the light up ahead is red and isn't about to turn green soon, guys like me notice these things.

The rest of the drivers apparently notice nothing, they're not exactly jack-rabbiting things, but sure enough they accelerate right up to the speed limit, they get all the way to 45 mph JUST so they can get up to that next red light, then they all stop.

Why not take it easy, time the light and roll along at a steady 20-25 or whatever, gee whaddaya know, better mpg, longer brake life, longer tire life, it's just better all around.

Standard pads, standard rotors.
Haste makes waste, it also drives up MY insurance rates.

I've been preaching this for years, I see few results so I'm not holding my breath.