PDA

View Full Version : How to improve on your demo's

The Lighting Geek
11-18-2007, 01:33 PM
OK, I think we have debated to nausium pros and cons of demos. I wanted to start a thread for those of us who choose to do demo's and how can do a better one.

Please chime in...

Mike M
11-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Okay, this is demo post #3 or #4 in a week. You think a fresh start will keep out debates or comments from fence sitters or the no-demo guys? You started a great topic and we got great responses from everyone, even those who don't do demo's. Just let it keep rolling.

I would like to know more about 3 specific things, I'm still a beginner, and have only done 3 demo's with a small set I made for myself, based on a 300 watt transformer.

(1) How are you placing temporary fixtures on roofs (see my roof-rig thread)?

(2) What is your transformer configuration for 40 plus fixtures? I guess I could use surge-protectors or similar as hubs, as I am using spliced extension cords and sockets on the transormer for quick set-ups.

(3) What steps do you take for leaving a demo up for multiple days?

My latest interest is in getting a professional-looking container set up, and I'm looking at 2 Stanley products (one $50 the other $100), plus Lowe's has another product that matches my tool bag (image attached). I was very impressed with your truck. I have a new f-150, but I don't want a cap or cover (the weather should be fine the evenings I haul the stuff out). I bought a chrome moon-lighter (ironic name) ladder rack, and now I need to pick a good all-around ladder (any recommendations?). The ladder purchase is new to me, as I am finally getting over my fear of heights (this happened after I built a deer stand and shot my first buck, lol). At present I have a few step ladders.

Thanks for any help!

Mike

NightScenes
11-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Mike, my trucks carry a 6', 8', 12' step ladders and a 32' extension ladder (on 1 truck and a 40' on the other). This pretty much takes care of everything.

ChampionLS
11-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Mike,

That looks pretty nice.. You might want to also check out Pelican Products (www.pelican.com) they make very heavy duty cases. You would probably be interested in stage/studio/camera man cases. They come in sizes big enough to put a car engine in!.

-Anthony

Lite4
11-18-2007, 03:02 PM
I used to use those new Kichler plug in hubs for my demos, but I had trouble with the plugs coming apart after about 7-10 demos. I now have just gone to running wire and using temporary (non siliconed) wire nuts to splice everything together. It takes a little longer, but seems to work alright and I can reuse the connectors for the next time.

Mike M
11-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Mike, my trucks carry a 6', 8', 12' step ladders and a 32' extension ladder (on 1 truck and a 40' on the other).

I have to go higher than 4'? Just kidding. I guess I'll fork over the money for a good 32, plus refill my Xanax prescription.

Mike M
11-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Okay,

I'm getting a Pelican case eventually to put my transformer inside, they have an O-ring accessory which would be great for weather-proofing (leaving a demo up multiple days). Look at the pic #3, drill holes for the wires, better yet, use recessed outlets for wire connections!!!

Wish I could afford a whole set of these pelicans. They have every size imaginable, and nice foam cases for bulbs, etc. Just dreaming for now.

I googled and found them way under retail.

Mike

Mike M
11-18-2007, 03:20 PM
oops, images.

steveparrott
11-18-2007, 04:03 PM
For great custom cases at reasonable prices, I suggest you check out http://www.ameripack.com/.

For the purpose of full disclosure, I photographed the landscape lighting at the President's home -an awesome design. He's a big fan of landscape lighting and would certainly appreciate the opportunity to do custom work for lighting guys.

Pro-Scapes
11-18-2007, 04:04 PM
I dont think you should have to demo roof top fixtures. Often times you can use a narrower higherwattage bulb and achieve close to the same effect from the ground as you would from the roof. The final install would of course be roof mounted.

If you were dead set on it I would think a small 1'x1' piece of plywood would do the trick to hold a fixture in place... Glue a rubber non slip drawer liner or similar to the bottom of it.

We rigged up our demo kit with regular outlets on the ends of the 12ga leads and all the fixtures have 25 ft leads with 2 prong plugs on the ends. Run the leads out to the area... place fixtures and plug it in. Im sure its nor near as slick as Tommys set up but we dont set it up but maybe once a month. We only use it as a tool to convey our thoughts to a client and to determine the best way to light difficult areas. We dont use it as a way in the door.

The Lighting Geek
11-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I wanted to shift the discussion to helping those who want to know more about demo's. The debate will never end..LOL

I use a small Stanley ($50 I think) rolling box for my transformers (5) and hole sawed a 4" hole on the handle end for the wires to come out. I keep a 30', 50', and 75' home runs, a 50' 12 guage extention cord inside. I also keep a sequencer and a timer read in each box as well.

I use a large Stanley with wheels (2) to keep my quad sets of well lights and brass fixtures. I use the Unique demo kits with my own minor changes. My original 8 quads well lights have seen at least a hundred demos and hold up well. They use zip ties to support the set screw wire nuts and a knot in the wire through the can and inside the well light to keep from pulling the wire off the bulb.

I leave the tf out all the time in the rain. I do reccommend you drill some drain holes in the bottom just in case the wind blows some rain in the 4" holes or you need to leave them where sprinklers will hit them.

As far as roof mounts I will take a pic and post what I am using.

The Lighting Geek
11-18-2007, 04:12 PM
I do agree that you rarely need to roof top demo. I only do it when we are looking at options on a job already signed. The exception for me was that demo in the pic for obvious reasons.

Mike M
11-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Are you are just using non-PAR wells to avoid spending time staking everything? Why not, sounds like a fast way to locate a position and aim.

After I made my roof rig I thought of also making fixture stands as stake substitutes, just by attaching mounts to wood squares. If I could weld, I'd attach spike-nails to the fixtures or mounts. I think Vista and/or Cast use something like that in their kit, I've only seen pic's.

The Lighting Geek
11-18-2007, 05:25 PM
I use par 36, 35 watt halogen well lights that have had the bottom 4" cut off. They are the most universal light for me and most of the time that is all I use. They can be propped up, tlited, taped down or up, etc. It is also about speed for me. Four weel lights w/ 25' leads coiled around each well light can be carried easily. I can carry 4 sets at a time and tow a transformer in one trip. I use frosted and linear spread lenses too if I am planning on using them on the install. I just lay the lenses on top of the bulb.

The Unique Demo Kit is alread ready to go, just plug and play. You just have to figure out your containers to store it.

Here are pics of the boxes I use for the transformers and a pic of the quad well lights:

Mike M
11-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Tommy, side note, do you use the Unique stake-mounted PAR fixture in your installs or do you go in a well?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Mike, my trucks carry a 6', 8', 12' step ladders and a 32' extension ladder (on 1 truck and a 40' on the other). This pretty much takes care of everything.

Pretty much the exact set up I use here.... I have a 6', 8', 12' step, a 24', 32' and a 40' extension ladder, with the 32' being our most used. Last week I rented a 48' to get to the top of a gable.... that was a scary climb.

My next investment is going to be a Tuepen Spider Lift (Leo 12G) and I would LOVE to hear from anyone who has any experience with this piece of equipment.

The Lighting Geek
11-18-2007, 10:50 PM
I use Unique's Big Bang (PAR36 on a stake) instead of well lights except in turf and concrete. I also use the Pulsar alot. But I use Unique exclusively and use all 30+ fixtures that Unique makes.

Mike M
11-18-2007, 10:57 PM
I like the idea of the 36 on a stake, if on anything. Hey, what about the roof thing, did you use the Unique gutter mount, or do you have a more temporary way to do the upper levels??

The Lighting Geek
11-18-2007, 11:06 PM
What I use is so simple it made me laugh when we stumbled on it. We use a three hole single gang box cover and just slide it under the roof tile. The weight of the tile holds it perfectly. Most of our roofs here are composite tile so it is easy.

Mike M
11-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Just clarifying--1/2" hole on a gang cover fits the stem?

You say three-hole, but you mean the one hole on the cover of a three whole gang box, right?

The Lighting Geek
11-18-2007, 11:43 PM
here is pic for you. I buy the bronze color and it matches pretty good the typical roof tiles.

Mike M
11-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks,

Okay, so the stems are 1/2" and threads compatible. That's clever. If I wanted, I could also mount that between (2) short 2x4's. That would enable the light to be easily moved around.

Lite4
11-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Here is my setup for moving around lights without stakes. I made a bunch of these. I filled em with mortar for weight and left the screws open in the middle. These are great for quick moves and they weigh a couple pounds each.

The Lighting Geek
11-19-2007, 11:57 PM
That is simple and effective.

Pro-Scapes
11-20-2007, 12:01 AM
oh thats perfect tim. Simple... cost effective and easy to manipulate. Going to have to make myself some of thoes and do away with the stakes.

I did make about 4 "+"'s out of some bar stock I had laying around then welded a 1/2" coupler into it.

Mike M
11-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Sweet.

Here's a quick debate. As I make my over-nighter demo kit, I'll need more fixtures. Mike G blasted Billy for not using the same fixtures he sells, well, that might hold up with a small set, but what about for purchasing 20, 40, 60 lights? I should go with the Kichler AZT's. I can upgrade to a 900w Pantech transformer installed inside of my portable box. I'll have my 300w in a mini version for a second transformer. I don't want to duck tape across a driveway if I can avoid it.

Anyways, I'll start this project this week with my current equipment and a trip to Lowe's on a tight budget. I'll wait until I get some real phone calls from my up-coming direct mail piece before I invest in a larger set-up.

I still have more ideas for a tempoary roof mount, since Billy made a good point about head injury :hammerhead:(dooh), plus, the fixture needs to be even more secure for a multiple day display.

Mike

Mike M
11-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Okay, Tom, all we have to do is put the rectangular cover on the box, like Tim does to replace the stake, and we place the small box inside the gutter. I was at Lowe's today checking out clamps, too. Using small quick clamps, you could attach the lamp cover to an overhang when there is no gutter.

The Lighting Geek
11-20-2007, 07:38 PM
sounds good to me. I rarely use roof top lights now that I understand the effect and which fixtures work. To save time, try not using roof mount demo's. I only use them in extreme circumstances, remmember you have to on the roof in the dark to adjust. LOL

Mike M
11-20-2007, 08:45 PM
I guess the reason I'm playing with the roof mounts is so I can learn best fixtures and placements, more then to show a customer what I can do. However, I'm now interested in doing larger scale demo's and leaving them up. I guess I could avoid the roof top stuff unless very necessary.

A lot of homes around here start on the second floor. That sounds funny. The first floor is the basement or garage, in case of coastal flooding. So I may have to attach some demo fixtures to structures.

The Lighting Geek
11-20-2007, 09:44 PM
I would start with a regular demo kit and your clip method

Mike M
11-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Tim I just got back from Lowe's, I tried your idea with the larger square box, too. The stability was better, but the round looks sleeker. The round is also available in dark brown. I'll just weigh them down, like you said. I also bought the smaller box to try for shoving in gutters.

Energizer has awesome LED "head" lights in three types. I grabbed one of those, two.

Pro-Scapes
11-21-2007, 05:03 PM
headlights are awsome in the field at night. I got the cateyes on my hat and an LED from photon i think it is for times im not wearing the hat.

Pro-Scapes
11-21-2007, 05:07 PM
I guess the reason I'm playing with the roof mounts is so I can learn best fixtures and placements, more then to show a customer what I can do. However, I'm now interested in doing larger scale demo's and leaving them up. I guess I could avoid the roof top stuff unless very necessary.

A lot of homes around here start on the second floor. That sounds funny. The first floor is the basement or garage, in case of coastal flooding. So I may have to attach some demo fixtures to structures.

Mike your in a different situation than alot of us. Your probably going to be using alot of higher wattages due to the taller homes. I would suggest you become very fluent with surface mounting and hiding wires. Why dont you get some pics of some of them 3 story homes you got there so we can all learn and debate about the lighting techniques to use :)

Mike M
11-21-2007, 06:05 PM
some of them 3 story homes

I am sending 1500 post cards out soon, if or when I get the opportunity for demo'ing one of those I'll take a bunch of pics. It's gonna be trial and error, trying things out, etc. That's why I want to play with mounting methods on my own house first.

I didn't think I'd be using PAR's in my demo, but after studying pic's and the photometrics, I think it may be the thing for tall palms? Remember, half of the reason for doing demo's is to experiment for our own sake. If I use them in an install, I'll probably stake them, but to demo, I'll use the pipe and cut them down.

I am presently sketching out wiring diagrams for demo set-ups. I already have been using the extension cord idea for the fixtures, but now I will be using "hubs." I could splice three or four recepticle ends to homeruns (10 guage wire). I'll pre-cut the runs and label them by fixed lengths. But too many amps to be using the extension cord idea on the transormer side of the hubs. I have the brass connectors with set screw and plastic caps, that's how I can fasten homeruns to the transformer (or attach them directly, but the transformer will be inside the portable set up).

Does anyone know a faster or better way to do this?

Thanks, Billy

Mike

Pro-Scapes
11-21-2007, 06:35 PM
some of them 3 story homes

I am sending 1500 post cards out soon, if or when I get the opportunity for demo'ing one of those I'll take a bunch of pics. It's gonna be trial and error, trying things out, etc. That's why I want to play with mounting methods on my own house first.

I didn't think I'd be using PAR's in my demo, but after studying pic's and the photometrics, I think it may be the thing for tall palms? Remember, half of the reason for doing demo's is to experiment for our own sake. If I use them in an install, I'll probably stake them, but to demo, I'll use the pipe and cut them down.

I am presently sketching out wiring diagrams for demo set-ups. I already have been using the extension cord idea for the fixtures, but now I will be using "hubs." I could splice three or four recepticle ends to homeruns (10 guage wire). I'll pre-cut the runs and label them by fixed lengths. But too many amps to be using the extension cord idea on the transormer side of the hubs. I have the brass connectors with set screw and plastic caps, that's how I can fasten homeruns to the transformer (or attach them directly, but the transformer will be inside the portable set up).

Does anyone know a faster or better way to do this?

Thanks, Billy

Mike

I dont use extension cords on the trans side... I use 12 and 10ga wire run to j boxes then mount the recepticals to the j boxes. Only place i found it useful for the extension cord idea is on the fixture leads. Easier to use an ext cord with the receptical cut off an wire it into the fixture than it is to put plugs on the end of leads. Now if you bought fixtures with leads already on them just buy a plug and your done.

Lite4
11-22-2007, 12:15 AM
I guess I am just old fashioned. I just have a bunch a wire I use from demo to demo and I just use 2 sizes of interior rates twist caps. So when I am done I just take em apart and can reuse them on the next one. I don't put them in J boxes, I just lay them on the ground. I don't really try to hide them since everybody involved knows it is just a demo. speaking of demos and sales. I sold a job tonight from a 4 night demo. It was a cold call, I picked the nicest house out on the street and asked if I could set up a lighting demo and take some pictures. They were very happy to oblige and what do you know. Once they saw it, they had to have it. Who says cold calling doesn't work huh.

ChampionLS
11-22-2007, 12:39 AM
Does anyone here use WHITE Circuit Cable? We were thinking of purchasing some on our next re-order, because it will blend in better on decking and Vinyl applications. You guys that do all the above grade work might find a need for it.

Mike M
11-22-2007, 06:01 AM
WHITE Circuit Cable

Not rated for outdoor use. I think the insulation is not UV protected. Funny you should mention this, I was wondering if anyone had outdoor low-voltage wire in white. I wonder how many amps the white Christmas lighting wire is rated?

Mike M
11-22-2007, 06:05 AM
I sold a job tonight from a 4 night demo. It was a cold call, I picked the nicest house out on the street and asked if I could set up a lighting demo and take some pictures. They were very happy to oblige and what do you know. Once they saw it, they had to have it. Who says cold calling doesn't work huh.

That's awesome!

I just have a bunch a wire I use from demo to demo and I just use 2 sizes of interior rates twist caps.

Tim, tell us more about your set-up, how many & types of fixtures, etc. Do you put your transformer inside of anything? By the way, the junction box ain't so hard to make, and should save you time if you have a lot of lights and are using hubs.

Lite4
11-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Mike,
You would probably laugh if you saw my demo setup. It is a combination of some older vista bullets. Some are black, some are arch. bronze, some are now kind of a gray green mystery color. I have some Kichler basic path lights, half a dozen t-3 wall washers, brand unknown, and about 15 par wells for setting around. I know I am sure I will hear, "you should only demo what you sell". Yada Yada, I know, I would love to have an all brass setup but Im tellin ya that is a lot of jack. I have 2 really nice huge rolling stanley black crates that just sit in my garage that I abandoned quite some time ago. I used to take the time to pack all my fixtures up in bubble wrap and pull all the stakes and mountings off and stow them neatly in the rolling boxes. Now, I don't even bother anymore. I pull em out of the ground and throw em in the newest box I have that has not yet been soaked through by the rain, ready for the short drive down the road to the next house where they will immediately be plunged back into the ground at some other house. I tell my customers my demo lights are just that, 'demo'. I tell them all light fixtures are just bulb holders and in the short term my "throw around demos" will show pretty much the same lighting effects the good ones as I place a Unique Big Bang in one of their hands and a Probe in the other and tell them these are the permanant ones. I use the medium end ones for demoing because they just get thrown around way more than any light should, and I would rather replace a 70 dollar fixture rather than a 165 dollar fixture after it spends a little time with me.

As far as hubbing goes. On my permanent installs I only use the Ace connectors, but for quick setups I use really big red interior twist nuts. I don't bother greasing anything. I mean really, it is only up for a few days. I am not worried about a little moisture in the cap for that short of time. I made a neat little stand for my transformer though. It is made out of 1/2" galvanized pipe, and I just stuck some standard stakes on it and plunge it into the ground hang the tranny on it and vwaalaah, done. My average setup is about 2-3 hours, but my closing rate on these is nearly 100%
I know I am going to hear someone rag on me about my unorthodox methods but I came to realize a few things along the way about demoing lights.

1. I really don't care what anybody else thinks. This is my way of doing it, and it works very, very well.
2. To do it right, there is no such thing as a 'standard' demo install. I am installing lights in trees, under eaves, here and there and sometimes all the little standard plugs, wire lengths and wire connectors just aren't going to cut it. Sometimes I have to be a little creative with the wiring, every one I do is different just like the houses and properties I light.
3. At night no one is looking at my fixtures, they are looking at the effects of the "LAMPS" and they sure like what they can do.
4. If your demo kit is sitting in your truck or in your garage, it is like an employee that is on salary sitting at home on your sofa watching TV, drinking your coke and eating your chips. If it is not constantly out there working for you night after night, it isn't making you any money. My demo kit is a far better salesman than I am, and I am pretty good at it.

Mike M
11-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Wow Tim, great response. I'd love to see a pic of that transformer stand, but I'll probably use a container, unless the heat becomes an issue.

How are you mounting demo lights to structures, do you use clamps?

Lite4
11-22-2007, 10:26 AM
I'll take a photo and post it. Mounting lights? anyway I can, mounting blocks, zip ties, electrical tape, whatever will hold it for 3-4 days. Sounds goofy but it works.

Lite4
11-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Mike, here is my temp tranny stand.

EOL
11-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey Tim thats very clever, I never thought of making a contrapment to hang my demo trans. I usually place it on a tripod stool and lean it against the house. I'll be making one of those.:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Mike M
11-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Good work, and I like the idea of keeping the demo out of the garage.

You know what's funny, I hadn't thought of this, my demo's will be easier for me now that I'll do the whole scene simultaneously. I was setting up in sections, running around with the transformer, re-positioning the same sets of lights.

sprinkler guy
11-22-2007, 03:27 PM
WHITE Circuit Cable

Not rated for outdoor use. I think the insulation is not UV protected. Funny you should mention this, I was wondering if anyone had outdoor low-voltage wire in white. I wonder how many amps the white Christmas lighting wire is rated?

I think Paige makes a white that is outdoor rated.

sprinkler guy
11-22-2007, 03:30 PM
I sold a job tonight from a 4 night demo. It was a cold call, I picked the nicest house out on the street and asked if I could set up a lighting demo and take some pictures. They were very happy to oblige and what do you know. Once they saw it, they had to have it. Who says cold calling doesn't work huh.

This is brilliant, Tim. I'll keep this in mind for those slower times of year.

Mike M
11-22-2007, 04:03 PM
I think Paige makes a white that is outdoor rated.

I googled this a bit, found the holiday lighting suppliers do have 18 (7 amp) and 16 guage SPT (outdoor rated and braided) white wire.

NightScenes
11-22-2007, 04:23 PM

That's awesome!

I just have a bunch a wire I use from demo to demo and I just use 2 sizes of interior rates twist caps.

Tim, tell us more about your set-up, how many & types of fixtures, etc. Do you put your transformer inside of anything? By the way, the junction box ain't so hard to make, and should save you time if you have a lot of lights and are using hubs.

This is great Mike!! Talk about a pro-active way to promote your business. This sounds like something that I would do if I really wanted to go after market share.

Mike M
11-22-2007, 05:23 PM
I was quoting Tim, and he deserves your compliments!

extlights
11-22-2007, 05:48 PM
That's a cleaver method to gaining business Tim. Great idea.

NightScenes
11-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Oooppss. Go Tim!!

Lite4
11-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks guys, give it a try if you start slowing down over the winter it works fantastic.

ChampionLS
11-22-2007, 11:52 PM
WHITE Circuit Cable

Any underground circuit cable that is listed, and designated for landscape lighting is UV stabilized. When I say listed, I mean recognized by UL, ETL, CSA or CE. The color of the insulation has nothing to do with it's intended purpose. Our supplier can make White, Black, Brown, Orange, Yellow and Clear. (and probably any other color too)

I could see there being a need for White, as its less obtrusive when mounting fixtures on a structure.

NOTE: a little help in this category.. Always look at the insulation. There will be markings that should read SPT-1W (or 2W or 3W)

Mike M
11-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Yes, just doing my wire homework for this topic. As SPT means outdoor rated, the white wire I'm finding at the holiday-lighting suppliers is usually available in 18 gauge (2W), but I've seen it in 16, too. I also found SPT white in 12, but not at the holiday-lighting suppliers. Just pay attention to amps, the 18 will handle 7 amps.

ChampionLS
11-24-2007, 05:17 AM
(S)=Stranded (P)=Parallel (T)=Thermoplastic Insulation (1) Insulation Thickness (W)=Wet Location/UV Stabilized.

SPT-1W= Most common underground circuit cable for landscape lighting.

Mike M
11-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the wire info. I'm assuming with above ground use with staples and such, the harder insulation would be better. Can you recommend suppliers?

JoeyD
11-26-2007, 11:51 AM
I guess I am just old fashioned. I just have a bunch a wire I use from demo to demo and I just use 2 sizes of interior rates twist caps. So when I am done I just take em apart and can reuse them on the next one. I don't put them in J boxes, I just lay them on the ground. I don't really try to hide them since everybody involved knows it is just a demo. speaking of demos and sales. I sold a job tonight from a 4 night demo. It was a cold call, I picked the nicest house out on the street and asked if I could set up a lighting demo and take some pictures. They were very happy to oblige and what do you know. Once they saw it, they had to have it. Who says cold calling doesn't work huh.

Tim, Thats my trick!!! Works almost every time!!

JoeyD
11-26-2007, 11:55 AM
All our white fixtures come with white wire!

Mike M
11-26-2007, 12:48 PM
All our white fixtures come with white wire!

That's cool. BTW Joey, I'm ordering the Unique demo kit. I was surprised at the affordability.

Mike

JoeyD
11-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Let me know what you think!!

Thanks Mike!!

Mike M
11-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Joey, is this the fixture that goes with that transformer? (kidding) Talk about easy access.

Lite4
11-26-2007, 11:03 PM
My 4 day demo that I set up last saturday. Not a complete portrait, but enough to sell from.

Chris J
11-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Tim,
I would have blah, blah, blah. then I would have done some more of the blah, blah! Just kidding bud, it looks great. Left side looks a little dark though, and what do you intenend on doing with those dormers?

The Lighting Geek
11-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Nice demo!

Lite4
11-27-2007, 12:09 AM
Chris, Yeah the left side has a very large spruce right up against the house on one side and a fat Tanyosho pine on the other. I had to tie both of them back just to get some light up on the stone. I am going to do some selective "thinning" upon installation to open it up for the light more. On the dormers I will probably mount a mini wall washer up in each of the apexes to downlight the windows. Not really sure though, Any suggestions?

Mike M
11-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Tim, that's awesome. And great photography, too. I don't have a problem with the pine on the left, it's balanced in the scene with the two back lit trees on the right, but I love my loppers and would use them like you said.

I'd like to hear how Chris would hit those dormers.

JoeyD
11-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Great Job Tim!!