PDA

View Full Version : Clean machineon ebay

neversatisfiedj
11-18-2007, 01:49 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-CATERPILLAR-302-5-MINI-EXCAVATOR-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ250188373142QQihZ015QQcategoryZ97122QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tthomass
11-18-2007, 02:57 PM
What are those hours considered......moderate? Little high? What are these machines good for hourly speaking?

Flipped 630hrs on my T190 yesterday. Heck, 'blue' has I think 5500hrs. I know people running machines with 2,000ish hours.......what is the point where you start to say 'hey thats high' or at least gett'n there? Cars for example, 100,000 miles is kinda like the marker that you expect yeah its in good condition but you know the mileage is up there and its maybe 2/3 through its life or at least you know to expect a few things to go wrong.

Gravel Rat
11-18-2007, 03:09 PM
That is a clean machine it is hard to tell by pictures but is doesn't look abused. Either somebody has spend allot of time cleaning it up or it was used for something else besides working in harsh conditions.

As for the hours the machine looks like it was used 54 8 hour days a year which really isn't much.

Isn't this machine belong to a member here ?

ksss
11-18-2007, 03:44 PM
The machine has been repainted which in pictures can hide a lot of things. I am not saying it is not clean it appears so just photos don't reveal a lot of things. That is why I like Iron Planet, every machine if desired by the seller is inspected and warrantied to be what it is sold as. Makes me feel better. Buying equipment off of E-bay seems more risky than what is acceptable to me.

bobcat_ron
11-18-2007, 05:44 PM
That machine was used big time, look at the sprocket teeth, lots of wear there and the teeth are worn down, that little machine looks like another "polished turd".

desii
11-18-2007, 06:06 PM
That machine was used big time, look at the sprocket teeth, lots of wear there and the teeth are worn down, that little machine looks like another "polished turd".

Yeah. Take a look at the "sellers other items" and you can see that they have used alot of Cat yellow paint!! Along with new stickers, too. JMO.

neversatisfiedj
11-18-2007, 08:02 PM
I agree with you on Iron Planet. I also think alot of these sellers out here get alot of thier equipment from places like the auctions. I'm trying to decide wheather to buy a mini or not.

Lawnworks
11-18-2007, 09:35 PM
I "bought" this machine on ebay... until the buyer backed out on me! Would have been a steal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260178749948&rd=1

bobcat_ron
11-18-2007, 10:26 PM
I "bought" this machine on ebay... until the buyer backed out on me! Would have been a steal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260178749948&rd=1

One word: STOLEN!!!

Who the hell takes pics at night?!?!?!

grassmanvt
11-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Sure, its been painted, sure its been used but, as I always say when a customer starts getting real picky ( I run out of patients sometimes) if you want a new one, go buy one. These things dig, doze, and push for a living, of course they get run hard, thats what their for. Everyone seems to want a diamond at a fire sale price.

Scag48
11-19-2007, 12:22 AM
That 302.5 isn't a bad machine, but she's been painted. Undercarriage is shot, just look at the sprocket teeth. Also, there's one pic where they lifted the front off the ground, look at the sag. That COULD mean that the undercarriage will not extend the idler out anymore and the tracks are stretched out, but they look like they're in decent shape so they might just be out of tension. But I'd buy it for $12K in a heartbeat, drop $5K in that little machine and she'd go for quite some time.

Anything over 2,000 hours on excavators 12K pounds or smaller is considered high hours to me.

grassmanvt
11-19-2007, 10:18 AM
You guys that get to run new equipment all the time are spoiled. That little rig doesn't look like it needs much to be a daily user.

Scag48
11-19-2007, 05:13 PM
You guys that get to run new equipment all the time are spoiled. That little rig doesn't look like it needs much to be a daily user.

I take a different approach. Iron that needs lots of work is costing you twice. First, if it's in the shop, it's not producing and two, the cost of repairs. This machine wouldn't be a bad purchase for someone if they go into it with the attitude that it'll need some work. The undercarriage is probably not going to last more than 300-400 hours at best, the sprockets are basically shot and who knows about the bottom rollers.

grassmanvt
11-19-2007, 05:54 PM
I take a different approach. Iron that needs lots of work is costing you twice. First, if it's in the shop, it's not producing and two, the cost of repairs. This machine wouldn't be a bad purchase for someone if they go into it with the attitude that it'll need some work. The undercarriage is probably not going to last more than 300-400 hours at best, the sprockets are basically shot and who knows about the bottom rollers.

I guess everybody has their own opinion but I've saved a boat load of cash buying used equipment, using it to get a few jobs done or using for a year or two then reselling. I usually make money when I resell. No depreciation puts money in my pocket and keeps my rates competitive. I've also never paid a dime of interest on iron that way. Also, This machine in particular, from the not so close ups, the sprockets have a long time yet to wear, remember, this is a digging machine, not a dozer, if used as intended, there is plenty of time on them. Tracks, hard to tell, idlers don't look extended so probably loose or maybe even a leaky adjuster. Again, not a huge deal. At worst, tracks for this machine are pretty affordable now if you shop around. Don't get me wrong, I love new iron but I don't like huge payments. If work is slow, all my rigs can sit till some better paying work comes along or till I can sell it. No need to work for nothing just to pay huge interest. Trucks on the other hand I try to keep newer rigs to stay on warranty. I have had horrible luck with used one tons so I buy new ones. Numbers wise that works better for me. I guess it depends on the situation. The cat at hand though is far from worn out at 2000 hours.